Virgin Gym

daverules
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

on behalf of a friend I would like to ask some advice.

Friend signed up for Virgin gym 12 month contract at £85.00 per month and has 6 months

left on it, due to a change in circumstances she finds that she cannot attend the gym anymore

due to time constraints and change in financial circumstances means she cannot afford

the payments.

She has emailed Virgin asking if she could cancel early but they have informed her that she

can't, this means that any payments due to them each month will not be honored as she

lacks the funds.

She is is considering offering them £5.00 a month to clear the outstanding balance and so I

am asking if this would be a good idea and if so doe's anyone have an idea how to word

the letter.

Regards to all

Slick will be along soon, interesting one. Remember this doesnt appear on a CRA so paying little wont affect her credit rating.

Right, well if she does cancel the DD and wants to pay at that rate she is more than welcome to, however remember, they will get a DCA involved. Probably ARC Europe :)

I wouldnt worry though :) Easily seen off although they can be tenacious,.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Dave.

Gym agreements can usually be ended early in the case of - injury or illness; moving home or workplace (if the latter was the reason you pick a gym near work); redundancy.

In the case of redundancy, I suggest that you could also cancel if there was a significant change in finances - like work hours cut significantly; drop in income such as benefits; separation from partner leaving you short of disposable income.

Can you tell us a bit more about why YF can't afford the gym now.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hello Slick

basic fact is she works in a public house as a barmaid whilst studying, she was doing a lot of hours and was falling behind with her course work

so had to reduce her hours to continue her studies.

Thanks for the response.

Well, put another way ...........

YF is a student whose work hours are now significantly reduced and she's unable to maintain the high monthly gym fees due to a significant loss of income.

A letter to the gym, pointing out this significant change of circumstances should be the best way to try and end the agreement.

If you want help with the letter, just say.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Dave,

YF needs to cancel the DD mandate via her bank to prevent further DD's being taken.

Send this to Virgin Gym Head Office and get a free Certificate of Posting at the PO counter when sending :-

Dear sir or madam,

I am no longer able to afford to attend the [town/city] gym due to a change in financial circumstances.

I am a student and my earnings have been significantly reduced due to a reduction in my working hours.

I therefore need to end my gym agreement on the basis of reduced income, similar to redundancy.

I am willing to pay a final months fee for the notice period but this is all I can afford.

If you accept my offer, I will pay you promptly. Please provide bank details so I can pay you.

Yours faithfully,

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

here is an update, I asked my friend to send the following letter by post and I need to confirm with her as to

whether she did but I know for sure she sent it by email and has received the following responses.

First email:

Date: Wed, Dec 2, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Subject: RE: Virgin Active Membership

Hi xxx Thank you for your email.

I have forwarded your email to the West London club to look into this for you as I can see that you are in commitment period until the 30/06/2016

We do offer a membership freeze for these situations which lowers the monthly amount per month which would be an option I can arrange for you

Kind Regards,

Second email:

Date: Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Subject: FW:

Hi xxxx,

I hope that you are well.

Thank you for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you will be leaving us.

I can confirm that your membership will terminate 31.12.2015.

I hope this suffices and should you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Third email

Date: Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Subject: Direct Debit Instruction cancelled

To: xxxx

We're keen to help you with your enquiry | Trouble seeing this email? | logo.gifva-email-logo2.gif

Membership Nbr: xxxxxxx

Dear xxxxxx

Your bank / building society have let us know that your direct debit instruction has been cancelled.

We need to make sure we get a new direct debit set up for you ready for the next direct debit collection, so you can continue to have access to your club.

Please could you contact us on 020 7205 5500 so we can amend your new direct debit details or arrange for your previous direct debit to be reinstated.

If you’ve cancelled your direct debit because we’ve recently been in touch to confirm your membership cancellation, no further action is required.

If there is anything else we can help you with in regards to your membership with us, please pop in to your club where our staff are ready and on hand to help.

Your sincerely

Virgin Active Member Services Team

So I guess she just pays the December month and that should be all done.

Many thanks for all your help Slick with the letter and others for their input.

Will update if any further developments.

Regards to all

Hi Dave,

The 3rd letter is a standard one generated when a DD mandate is cancelled.

The second letter suggests they've accepted the early cancellation so you just need to make the final payment either at the gym or by phone.

I wouldn't bother setting up the DD again just for the one final payment but, if you do this, cancel it again after the pay't is made.

Sounds like an excellent result though !