Merged Debts emails and harassment(from International company)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3071 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I'm new to the forums, but if this is in the wrong place then could you let me know and I will re-create the thread.

I was living in Australia for 16 years(I was born in the UK and moved to Aus when I was 6).

I had a rough time and didn't have a job until I was 20.

I never had credit before.

I opened a bank account in Australia and got offered a credit card, which I accepted.

I then applied for a online course, which was a monthly payment of 60 AUD.

Once signed up I had realised this course that this company heavily advertised was a [problem].

It was the same course a student in a free study College could do in his spare time on the internet.

I had disputed with them about leaving, however they said that I would have to pay the outstanding amount of 4695.00 AUD.

From that point I had stopped communication with them.

My father passed away in February last 2014 and my mother and I moved back to the UK.

I had left an outstanding balance of 500(Maxed out) credit card from the bank

and I also did not pay the company who was chasing me for 4695.00 AUD.

I've received plenty of emails from this company recently,

I had no communication or emails from them since July 2014

and in the last two weeks I've had 24 emails and unfortunately a phone call.

They tracked me down.

Apparently this company AusDebt has been in contact with me(They have not).

I first received an email 2 weeks ago stating that

"As per the request of Open Colleges we have come to a conclusion and you are now only required to pay 1408.63".

I then received the same email 2 times a day for a week,

I will attach this with the post.

It states that "As per my request" they are willing to settle with the amount mentioned above, which I think is being used as their tactics?

because I haven't been in contact with them at all I assume as I've read online after 5 years the debt gets statue barred?

I received a phone call yesterday asking for me,

I said no I don't know anyone by that name that lives here and the lady said

"That's funny since we've checked records and it seems only yesterday you applied for a loan

and we also know who you bank with and that you drive a ford focus".

How are they getting this info?

She then went on to say

"We will be getting that money back off you very soon,

my associates look forward to seeing you in person have a nice day" and hung up.

Does this mean that they have transferred the debt to a UK company?

can they actually do that ?

Any advice on this?

More facts about the account,

I had only logged into the online portal twice, and not even attempted the work

because I had found out I could of just went to a local free college

and got the course for free.

Yet when trying to cancel they blocked access to the online portal and demanded payment off me..

s there any way I can fight this?

Thanks

P.s I am living in the UK now.

Edited by dx100uk
post edited pers & irrelevent info removed - dx

Ignore them totally. For a debt of that amount, they won't bother to try to enforce in the UK. The finance agreements in Australia would need to contain terms where you agreed to accept court jurisdiction outside of Australia. Even then, they would need to pay all relevant costs in getting it through UK courts and unless they were certain of getting the money back, they would not bother. IF they dud issue a UK court claim, you would have a chance to defend it and given what you say about the course, it might not get very far.

Re the information they have obtained, they may have got a UK search company to check your credit records, which would reveal your Bank. They may have checked Google streetview at your address, to see the car or somehow got the info from DVLA.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They are trying to intimidate you. They have no powers to do anything. You can safely ignore.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Thread moved to Oversees Debt issues forum.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Ignore them totally. For a debt of that amount, they won't bother to try to enforce in the UK. The finance agreements in Australia would need to contain terms where you agreed to accept court jurisdiction outside of Australia. Even then, they would need to pay all relevant costs in getting it through UK courts and unless they were certain of getting the money back, they would not bother. IF they dud issue a UK court claim, you would have a chance to defend it and given what you say about the course, it might not get very far.

Re the information they have obtained, they may have got a UK search company to check your credit records, which would reveal your Bank. They may have checked Google streetview at your address, to see the car or somehow got the info from DVLA.

Thanks for the reply, helps me a be a little bit more comfortable for the moment.

If I remain in no contact with them is it true that after 5 years the debt will no longer exist?

Thanks

Depends on the legal stuff in Aus... Over here In Scotland the debts are extinguished after years --- GONE! But in England, 6 years and the creditor / DCA can still ask for payment.

As for AUS i am not sure.,

http://consumeraction.org.au/debt-collection-old-debts/

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks for the reply, helps me a be a little bit more comfortable for the moment.

If I remain in no contact with them is it true that after 5 years the debt will no longer exist?

Thanks

Statute of limitations means that after the relevant period, they are not enforceable in court. So if this is 5 years in Aus, then after 5 years of non payment or you admitting the debt in writing, they should not be able to enforce it in a court. The debt may still exist and be chased, but of course you would tell them to get lost.