Ripped Canadian $10 note- where to get changed? ***Case resolved***

Clear33
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3029 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The foreign exchange said they wont take it as it is ripped and the only option is to exchange it when I go back to Canada.

Never been to Canada, unlikely I will ever go.

Anyway to exchange it in Britain?

Thanks

Just under £5.00 live rate..

The bank of Canada would normally look at exchanging damaged notes, but I think takes up to 60 days to deal. I rather suspect they might not be interested in 10$ :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

......when I go back to Canada.

Never been to Canada, unlikely I will ever go.

Why would you have a Canadian $10 note (ripped or otherwise), then?

How can you "go back" to Canada if you have never been there in the first place?

Methinks this isn't the whole story.

Why would you have a Canadian $10 note (ripped or otherwise), then?

How can you "go back" to Canada if you have never been there in the first place?

Methinks this isn't the whole story.

Obviously I was practicing a new magic trick but am not skilled at it yet and manifested, through thought alone a ripped Canadian note. I was going for a £20 note (not ripped). Back to the drawing board.

Or

Someone gave it to me. ;-)

Just under £5.00 live rate..

The bank of Canada would normally look at exchanging damaged notes, but I think takes up to 60 days to deal. I rather suspect they might not be interested in 10$ :(

I have emailed The Bank Of Canada. Will post reply. Just to see if there is a solution.

Many Thanks.

Obviously I was practicing a new magic trick but am not skilled at it yet and manifested, through thought alone a ripped Canadian note. I was going for a £20 note (not ripped). Back to the drawing board.

Or

Try a Post Office that does foreign currency, as they may not be as fussy. If they show any reservations, say you were hoping to donate the money to a local charity.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I would suggest you have to consider how much effort you are going to put in for less than £5 (bank rate), once fees have been taken you would probably get about £4 in exchange.

It is surprising how much effort I would be willing to put into this. I think of it as my womble hobby. :-)

Or

And the "going _back_ to Canada" when you've not been?

(Rather than just "going to Canada").

Magic, indeed.

Try a Post Office that does foreign currency, as they may not be as fussy. If they show any reservations, say you were hoping to donate the money to a local charity.

good thinking. will do. thanks.

So someone gave it to you

Why not just put it in a charity box and do something more constructive with your time

I do not want to give it to Charity.

Do something more constructive with your time.

My time is wisely spent.

Just have to send it back to Canada now where apparently it will go to a laboratory to be inspected and assessed for signs of having been eaten by mice, rats, water/ fire damage, decay from being buried behind walls or in deed any kind of bio hazard! etc.

Easy

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/contaminated-and-mutilated-bank-notes/

First, however, I am going to try a little bit of clear tape and try again at a different foreign exchange.

• 1 month later...

Used some magic cellotape bit of thinking 'change the Canadian note....change the Canadian note.....' when cashier wondered if she would or not ha ha

hey presto £4.50.

***Case resolved***

Pleased to hear you finally sorted this out, Clear :lol:

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D