Husband Pension denied - after husband sacked 10 years ago - nowhere to turn

intree
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am posting to get some advice, in regards the DLA TO PIP transition, as I have heard a lot of concerns with the medicals.

Basically, My husband stopped work 9 years ago due to mental health PTSD caused by his work accident, he was retired from work in 2009 due to permanent ill health with a work pension and (after many appeals and a long fight) he was awarded a Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit for life assessed at 60%, this was in 2011, he was also awarded short periods of DLA, he was assessed for HRC Care and low rate Mobility for indefinite period (this I understand replaced the life time awards). He is placed in the Support group for the ESA he receives and he is 50 years old.

My concern is that in 2011, he was assessed by his Psychiatrist and put on long term medication, and then transferred back to his GP as they have long lists for patient in Leicestershire for mental health care under a Psychiatrist, since that time his diagnosis has changed to Schizoaffective disorder with Anxiety, he does not go out, answer the phone or even associate with anyone much.

I don't know when his transition will take place but my concerns are:

1)Will he be required to attend a medical and can they refuse to do a home visit?

2)what will happen is they come to do his medical and he is not answering their questions or able to, due to his illness?

3)I AM THE appointee used by the DWP for his benefits, so will this be honoured and what if they say not I can not fill in his forms etc.

I know my husband is not able to speak to them on the phone, he will not even answer the kids phone calls, let alone the DWP?

He does not go out, and sleeps due to his condition and medication most afternoons, only will ever eat if he has food prepared and we can not go out, as he sweats profusely and causes embarrassment if we have tried, to take him to a café etc.!

I am concerned that his condition will worsen due to this assessment and any help is greatly appreciated so I can prepare for this transition to PIP.

The GP is not very good, and he has a CPN but as he does not go out, they have not bothered to come and see him, just giving a card just in case there is a emergency as they are short of staff, so don't know what support they can or will give in the application, he is on medication, which is taken 3x daily only if he is given this and supervised.

Thank you

Thank you for your fast response is there any advice on the other points, please can I be advised if his pension for IIDB at 60% for life will carry any weight or his ill health pension from his employer (which is peanuts by the way) which does confirm he has medically retired? or will they not consider these facts?

I am posting to get some advice, in regards the DLA TO PIP transition, as I have heard a lot of concerns with the medicals.

Basically, My husband stopped work 9 years ago due to mental health PTSD caused by his work accident, he was retired from work in 2009 due to permanent ill health with a work pension and (after many appeals and a long fight) he was awarded a Industrial Injuries Disablement benefit for life assessed at 60%, this was in 2011, he was also awarded short periods of DLA, he was assessed for HRC Care and low rate Mobility for indefinite period (this I understand replaced the life time awards). He is placed in the Support group for the ESA he receives and he is 50 years old.

My concern is that in 2011, he was assessed by his Psychiatrist and put on long term medication, and then transferred back to his GP as they have long lists for patient in Leicestershire for mental health care under a Psychiatrist, since that time his diagnosis has changed to Schizoaffective disorder with Anxiety, he does not go out, answer the phone or even associate with anyone much.

I don't know when his transition will take place but my concerns are:

1)Will he be required to attend a medical and can they refuse to do a home visit? Not everyone will need an assessment. If you can, get help filling in the forms and start collecting evidence which may help now, i.e. any reports from his work pension, care plans, in fact anything to support his diagnosis and needs. The good news is that I think your area is covered by Capita rather than ATOS, and Capita are much better at doing home assessments on request. Atos require a letter from your GP.

2)what will happen is they come to do his medical and he is not answering their questions or able to, due to his illness? The Health care professional will address questions to your husband. I would suggest you let him have time to answer if he'd going to, but then you answer if he doesn't. If the HCP tries to stop you answering, make sure it's recorded in your notes and ask them to record it in their notes. Particularly as you are his appointee, they are obliged to let you participate.You should also be prepared to expand upon/correct his answers as some people with mental health issues aren't aware of or underestimate the effects.

3)I AM THE appointee used by the DWP for his benefits, so will this be honoured and what if they say not I can not fill in his forms etc.

As appointee you will be allowed to act for him. I don't do phones and even though they're not appointees my son, daughter and husband have made calls for me which have been accepted. This morning ATOS didn't even ask if my son was an appointee before talking to him.

I know my husband is not able to speak to them on the phone, he will not even answer the kids phone calls, let alone the DWP?

He does not go out, and sleeps due to his condition and medication most afternoons, only will ever eat if he has food prepared and we can not go out, as he sweats profusely and causes embarrassment if we have tried, to take him to a café etc.!

I am concerned that his condition will worsen due to this assessment and any help is greatly appreciated so I can prepare for this transition to PIP.

The GP is not very good, and he has a CPN but as he does not go out, they have not bothered to come and see him, just giving a card just in case there is a emergency as they are short of staff, so don't know what support they can or will give in the application, he is on medication, which is taken 3x daily only if he is given this and supervised.

It might be worth speaking to the CPN and demanding a home visit just so it's on record - if you have to, exaggerate his condition enough to get them to come out. You could also send a letter to his GP (draft it now if you like, but don't send until you start the transition process so it's near the top of the notes) saying he's applying for the benefit, saying they will be able to support his need for a home visit and also support his care and mobility needs as a result of his condition which are (e.g. if I don't give him the pills and watch him take them, he doesn't).

Thank you

I am going through this transition at the moment so am speaking from both personal experience and as a long time contributor to this forum and others regarding disability and benefits. The most important thing to do at this stage is to familiarise yourself with the criteria for PIP, look in the forum stickies to find a link, work out where he should score points and make a realistic assessment of the level of benefit he should be awarded. As suggested above you should then start compiling evidence tailored to supporting those criteria, including keeping a diary of how he is affected on a daily basis and what you have to do for him. Good luck.

I've just noticed on my appointment letter that an appointee is required to attend the assessment with the claimant, and the assessment cannot go ahead if they don't attend.

• Confused 1

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

• dx100uk changed the title to husband is dismissal for ill health - retirement from service