Major issue with electricity meter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2845 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I appreciate this is a long post but I've tried to detail absolutely everything. Really grateful if you could take the time to read/review.

I'm really hoping someone can help me on the forum. I'm not overly experienced in electric meters and the like but I've done my best research wise before posting.

I recently moved in with my partner to a flat she bought from new and has been living in since May 2014. When she moved in she received paperwork from the house builder to advise her that her meeting reading was 00029 upon moving in.

Fast forward to a few months ago, let's say around August 2015 this is when I moved in with her.

My partner had never supplied meter readings before and the meter had never actually been read by a meter reader from the company. Well, that's what the company are saying anyway. My partner states that around June 2015 time it was read at her request however the company are saying they have no trace of this.

She did submit readings by phone in August when I read the meter and it was reading 31333. When she submitted these though the company have submitted 313. I can only imagine they have done this presuming the 33 on the end was after a comma or a full stop, but it wasn't.

I didn't think anything of the reading I gave my partner of 31333 as I didn't realize that the meter would have been 0 to start with when the property was built. (Silly mistake)

Anyway... Fast forward to last week - she received an email looking for meter readings to be submitted and forwarded this to me to take care of.

I went out and got the gas reading which looks entirely normal and matches with previous meter reader read readings (they must just come and do the gas when they are in the area as the gas meter is outside so easy access, where as someone would need to be home for them to get into the flat) and then I read the electricity reading which is where the major problem lies.

The electricity reading was 31939. Yes, 31939... There are no commas, no full stops or anything on the display and it is a digital single meter, so no buttons to bring up more numbers.

Now whilst the variance between 31939 and 31333 seems normal over a 3 month period I'm at a loss as to what could have caused the reading to go from 00029 to 31333 between May 2014 and August 2015 and I'm not really sure what to do!!

The company are sending out a fault engineer to look at the meter on Monday but I'm not confident there will be a fault as it seems from reading that this is rather rare?

Last night before bed I took the reading again and it was 31944 and switched off everything with the exception of the TV (sky+), our phone chargers, the boiler and the fridge freezer. I woke this morning (8 hours later) to see it had only moved forward to 31945 so that would appear normal?

I've done the same when i've left today so expect when I go home (in another 8 hours) for it to have moved forward 1 or 2 points again.

If that has happened by the time I go home I plan on each night trying a room at a time to see what's causing the meter to go really fast and then isolate each appliance in that room to work out if there is a particular one causing the problem?

Is there anything else I can do? What do I do if I find there is a particular appliance at fault here?

You'll understand my partner and I are concerned about the potential bill we may be liable for. I used some online calculator and worked this out to be around £4,500...

Thank you all so much for your time and I hope you can help.

Sounds like this could be a crossed meter issue - check the meter serial number against the number on the bill would be the first place to start.

Did your partner get a letter or anything with the serial number and reading on when she moved in?

I've just done this just now - hadn't thought about this before and this is exactly the case.Our gas meter number matches the bill but our electricity meter number doesn't.I'm not sure about the paperwork aspect upon moving in - I would need to checkBut, what does this actually mean practically?

I've just done this just now - hadn't thought about this before and this is exactly the case.Our gas meter number matches the bill but our electricity meter number doesn't.I'm not sure about the paperwork aspect upon moving in - I would need to checkBut, what does this actually mean practically?

If the meters are outside of the flats, have you looked at the other meters to see where they are getting the meter number from. The builder may have given the wrong meter number for the flat.

The other issue to be aware of with flats, which we found with a relatives flat, is the builders sometimes connect up high wattage outside lights to a convenient meter, so one unlucky flat occupier ends up paying for outside lights, which others benefit from. When my relative moved out and we turned the electric off, other flat owners were moaning about the outdoor lights not working.

What is the method of heating in the flat, both for warmth and to heat water ? Some properties have been built with so called 'eco' heating systems which have proved to be very expensive to run.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If the meters are outside of the flats, have you looked at the other meters to see where they are getting the meter number from. The builder may have given the wrong meter number for the flat.

The other issue to be aware of with flats, which we found with a relatives flat, is the builders sometimes connect up high wattage outside lights to a convenient meter, so one unlucky flat occupier ends up paying for outside lights, which others benefit from. When my relative moved out and we turned the electric off, other flat owners were moaning about the outdoor lights not working.

What is the method of heating in the flat, both for warmth and to heat water ? Some properties have been built with so called 'eco' heating systems which have proved to be very expensive to run.

They aren't outside sadly, they are in the cupboard of each flat as soon as you go in.

Is it possible they are still wired up wrong?

So the reading on my meter is actually for a neighbours property?

Even if that is possible 32000+ seems a very high reading for any of these brand new flats of 18 months?

I have the supplier sending an engineer on Monday to look at the meter for faults

will they be able to tell whether the flat builder has attached all these extra lights to our meter?

If it is in fact our meter?

In terms of heating we have a combi boiler but whilst the boiler is powered by the electric it runs on gas.

We also don't have it on during the night.

See what the engineer says. The meter number should not be wrong.

Is this a brand new built flat or a conversion of an existing property ? Cross wiring mostly happens in conversions.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

that reading works out to roughly 70KW per day

or 3kw per hour 24/7 since day one.

somethings not right!!

unless the new build read was wrong?

what you are reading as use is about right now

but well if its not even your meter god knows

the eng will work it out.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

See what the engineer says. The meter number should not be wrong.

Is this a brand new built flat or a conversion of an existing property ? Cross wiring mostly happens in conversions.

These are brand new flats, however, there are more and more pieces coming into the jigsaw at the moment as I've just been told by our neighbour upstairs when he first moved in the meter in his cupboard was for his neighbour across the ways flat.So that does make me think that it is likely they have wired it up wrong but I don't want to bank on that just yet.If that is what has happened though I'm slightly concerned at the neighbour across the ways electricity usage!!

that reading works out to roughly 70KW per day

or 3kw per hour 24/7 since day one.

somethings not right!!

unless the new build read was wrong?

what you are reading as use is about right now

but well if its not even your meter god knows

the eng will work it out.

dx

Gosh I really hope they do as the worry of a £4500+ bill isn't good.I'm terrified it is our meter, the reading is right, and we have an appliance somewhere that is extremely faulty!

Your meter may not have been installed on zero; is there a luggage tag on the meter? sometimes these will have the details of the installed meter reading....

The supplier should be able to trace your meter number in their systems and who they registered it to/when and install reads. Quite often developers will hand over a 'portfolio' to the suppliers new connections team who will then set up accounts for the new occupier. It can be a real issue when plot numbers off the plans are converted to the actual house number, and things do get messed up.

I'd expect the supplier to verify the meter details you have, then take an average of your meter reads to re-calculate your opening meter read and adjust the bill to what it should be. It can be a struggle and I'd advise only communicating with them in writing from now on so you have records of who's said what and what's been agreed

Gosh I really hope they do as the worry of a £4500+ bill isn't good.I'm terrified it is our meter, the reading is right, and we have an appliance somewhere that is extremely faulty!

if something was taking 3KW p/h you'd know about it through heat:lol:

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Start making a log of what you are using in the flat and for how long. Obviously the meter wiring may be wrong and needs work, but atleast you will have some details as to your typical usage at this time of year.

• 6 months later...

How reliable are Electricity Meters? Do they give wrong readings after say 30+ years?

We switched everything off, swithed on a 2 KW elcctric heater for exactly 2 hours and checked before and after readings. It was 22% to high.

Anyway of getting it officially tested?

Thanks!

best you start a new thread

of your own

dx

and they

Absolutely - a 3kw convector heater or an electric immersion heater are just about the only things that could use as much electricity in an hour... even an oven will only use about 2kw/hour!

Nottslad, I see you are been irrepsonsible again.

3 kw x 1 hr = 3kWH

What about 7 kw shower

what about 6kw cooker?

And yes none of these appliance would generate such a high bill , so the energy company is at fault here, don't you agree?

Inspection of Electricity Meters

12.14 Unless the Authority otherwise consents, the licensee must take all reasonable steps to ensure that it inspects, at least once every two years, any Non-HalfHourly Meter in respect of premises at which it has at all times during that period been the Relevant Electricity Supplier.

12.15 An inspection under paragraph 12.14 must be carried out by a person possessing appropriate skill and experience. I.e not the customer.

12.16 An inspection under paragraph 12.14 must include:

(a) taking a meter reading; and

(b) a visual inspection of any Metering Equipment for the purpose of assessing whether:

(i) there has been damage to the Metering Equipment or to any electrical plant or electric line;

(ii) there has been interference with the Non-Half-Hourly Meter to alter its register or prevent it from duly registering the quantity of electricity supplied; or

(ii) the Non-Half-Hourly Meter has deteriorated in any way that might affect its safety or proper functioning.

and

SLC 21B.4

21B.4 The licensee must take all reasonable steps to obtain a meter reading (including any meter reading transmitted

electronically from a meter to the licensee or provided by the Customer and accepted by the licensee) for each of its

Customers at least once every year.

This is UK law.

Did the energy company read the meter from May 2014 to May 2016?

If not the Energy company is in breach of their obligations to you and are breaking the law.

Yes meter have a separate law governing testing I will ignore it as the problem lies with the energy company, but see Electricity act 1989 schedule 7 on meters link below.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/29/schedule/7

Perhaps Nottslad will tell us the laws governing meter testing and accuracy? Not holding my breath but.

Stevie

Stevie, as per Andy's reply on a previous post, I'll just paste his response to you and refer you to that.

Default Re: £270million overcharging

Hi Stevie...again

Here is the link to forum Rules (I note you still have not viewed them )

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...before-posting

Once you have read and understand what is acceptable and not on being a member of a forum..this will explain all your queries above.

Once digested...here is a link on how to start your own thread...then you can keep track of the relevant legislation...rather than keep posting it on other posters threads.

+ Post New Thread (big blue button top left of each forum underneath the Twitter Box)

Regards

Andy

How reliable are Electricity Meters? Do they give wrong readings after say 30+ years?

We switched everything off, swithed on a 2 KW elcctric heater for exactly 2 hours and checked before and after readings. It was 22% to high.

Anyway of getting it officially tested?

Thanks!

the problem is that we used to have 240v give or take

but to save the planet our leccy was changed to 220v plus or minus a bit and usually minus a bit so typically 215v.

Your old appliance will then draw more current which increases the load

and the amount of electricty used as kWh then goes up by the difference.

Modern electronic appliances dont care too much about the discrepancy

but old fashioned bar fires that work purely by resistance will.

Gas used to be sold by the cubic foot or metre but for some years now we are sold it by its calorific value

and this allows the energy companies to rook us as in reality they dont control the quality of the gas they sell

but the pricing makes it look like they do.

If everyone used less gas they would still bump the price up as they are not really in the business of saving the planet.

the problem is that we used to have 240v give or take but to save the planet our leccy was changed to 220v plus or minus a bit and usually minus a bit so typically 215v. Your old appliance will then draw more current which increases the load and the amount of electricty used as kWh then goes up by the difference. Modern electronic appliances dont care too much about the discrepancy but old fashioned bar fires that work purely by resistance will.

To check meter reading, we switched every else off and used a 2 kWh fan heater that was just 2 months old.

Would it have drawn more current which increases the load and give a false reading at the meter?

Anyway of getting the meter officially tested?!

Or is it upto the consumer to somehow prove that the meter is over reading?

Edited by Max_CF

your supplier should have a procedure for meter testing, usually by fitting a check meter. they may charge for this
Any idea how much the charge would be?

Will I have to pay this charge if the meter was found to be faulty?

and no you don't have to pay if its proved faulty.

and they