Can a company refuse to hire you due to ongoing disciplinary action?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey all, my Brother-in-Law went to an interview today with Company A. He is currently suspended pending a Disciplinary at Company B (over an accident in the workplace that severely injured my Father-in-Law). At the interview the manager conducting it said they would not be able to offer him the job because they know that he's under investigation at Company B, and went on to say he knew of it because he knows someone that works at Company B. Is he allowed to do this??

My thoughts are yes they can do that.

However, there may be a breach of confidentiality in company B that could be addressed

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Agree with the above. If Employer A knows of a potential reason for not considering a candidate then they are entitled to reject. It does not matter how they came by the information, and that complaint belongs with Employer B for allowing the investigation to become common knowledge outside the organisation.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Even if the reason behind the disciplinary would not be a factor in the new job? Such as going from a Driving job to a desk job, so the new job would not involve anything similar to the situation going on at Company B? I can't actually say what he's being taken to disciplinary for specifically because they've not told him (except in vaguest terms) but they have cancelled the hearing twice now with rather short notice.

My question would be how they know. If he has, for example, given a contact at company A as a reference - then it's legit.

They may decide there are many people who never get a disciplinary in their entire career they could hire, so why start now?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!