Eurostar won't refund after Paris terrorist attack

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi ,

I am also having no joy getting a refund from Eurostar. I booked tickets 1 hour before the attacks started on Friday 13th. standard premier tickets circa £340

this is to take my wife for new year for 4 days.

Due to all the problems she is incredibly upset by what has happened and we both feel that its not a safe place to be going at the moment - France is in a state of emergency and there are escalations occurring on a daily basis.

All Eurostar say is you can change dates but this is not something that is going away in the short term. I would not have purchased these tickets based on the current situation in france. They are basically profiteering.

Its the first time I have booked Eurostar and feel deeply frustrated with their reaction to this request. Its not a case of changing my mind due to dates it that fact the home office has stated that British citizens may be targeted .

can anyone please advise on what can be done?

Many thanks

Nothing. You either change the booking to a later date or hope to get a refund because UK government advises against travel or there is an issue on the dates of travel stopping the trains running.

I can totally understand not wanting to travel, but Eurostar are not going to start issuing refunds, unless UK government intervenes which is unlikely. You could lobby your local MP, but i doubt they will want to assist.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I am inclined to say the following

1) If we disrupt our plans then they win

2) They are perfectly within their rights not to refund

3) This is what travel insurance is for ,however, I believe they only pay if the foreign office say don't travel

I am booked to holiday in kyiv for xmas and unless advised not to travel I will be going to a beautiful city with fantastic people

I do however sympathise with your concerns especially when children are concerned BUT we mustn't let terrorists win.

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Must admit, I'm with Eurostar on this one.

In the 80's and 90's when the bombs were going off around London, how many people cancelled trips to the capital??? How many people who lived outside London but travelled in every day for work, stopped going in???

My money is on not too many...

When 7/7 and 21/7 I don't seem to remember any government advice not to travel...

There really does seem to be a lot of over-reaction to Eurostar's decision.

Hello everyone,

I also am having problems with Eurostar. I understand the counter arguments, but am currently booked to go to Brussels this Friday, and there is currently a clear gov.uk travel advisory against travel to Brussels, and to train stations in particular. Therefore, if the threat remains through the week, we can't go. We are going to the Netherlands and will make alternative bookings, but can't wait until Friday to do so as it will be prohibitively expensive: we need to book today. The trouble is that Eurostar has looked up our booking (I phoned them this morning) and because we have non-refundable, non-exchangable tickets, they won't even offer us a date change, even under these circumstances, as the Brussels threat is always changing and their goodwill window currently extends only to travel today. Talk about profiteering from terror! NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Im not sure how they are profiteering from terror.

They are sticking to their T+Cs

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hello everyone,

I also am having problems with Eurostar. I understand the counter arguments, but am currently booked to go to Brussels this Friday, and there is currently a clear gov.uk travel advisory against travel to Brussels, and to train stations in particular. Therefore, if the threat remains through the week, we can't go. We are going to the Netherlands and will make alternative bookings, but can't wait until Friday to do so as it will be prohibitively expensive: we need to book today. The trouble is that Eurostar has looked up our booking (I phoned them this morning) and because we have non-refundable, non-exchangable tickets, they won't even offer us a date change, even under these circumstances, as the Brussels threat is always changing and their goodwill window currently extends only to travel today. Talk about profiteering from terror! NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Eurostar run services per a timetable and under their operating licence. Unless on the day there is a government security warning not to run the service and for people to not travel, the train will still run. The running of the train is paid for by people buying tickets and if they just refunded tickets they would be out of pocket.

I can understand it is very frustrating and a worry, but it is not Eurostars fault. I am not sure why people expect Eurostar to lose money by refunding tickets, while still being required to run services. If people are unhappy they should complain to the government via local MP's, as if they stopped the trains running because of this emergency situation, then Eurostar could refund customer tickets.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd pop back to say thanks for the help. Nothing happened in the end. Eurostar said the tickets can be transferred for travel within 60 days, sadly my daughter's last bit of leave was used up on the Paris weekend that never happened, she can't take any more leave until February 2016 now, so there's no point in attempting to transfer the tickets to another date anyway.

Thanks for trying anyway :)