Claiming as a single person but living with someone

popper43
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3059 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I too have stupidly done the same thing Scotia39.

I had my partner move in April of this year and been claiming as a single parent. He earns less than me 14,000pa and has been paying the rent on the house.

Had a letter today from HMRC and they want bank statements, bills etc....everything in my name still but just so wish id told them. Feel ashamed of myself .

Thankyou HB.

Can I just check with you, do I need post it as a new query? Im sorry ive never used a website like this before so not sure.

I just wanted a bit of advice and hopeful reassurance as feeling quite ill .thankyou

Hello everyone

After much searching online today decided that this would be the best one for advice by non judgemental people.

I have been claiming tax credits both working and child tax credits for 6 years as a single parent , which indeed I am.

In April of this year my partner had to leave his rented home and he moved in to mine.

I informed the council and immediately stopped getting the housing benefit and the 25% single person council tax claim.

Im ashamed and very embarrassed to say I did not tell HMRC.

I have now received a letter asking for bank statements, utility bills etc so will clearly see that my partner has been paying me each month an amount which fully covers the rent.

My question is, if anyone can tell me , what is likely to happen to me. I feel very angry at myself :evil:

Thankyou for reading

This is a start for you and a good one. 6 years is a very long time to have done this. The amount could be significant and this may be seen as 'so serious' there are a number of options open to HMRC which includes penalties and prosecution in a criminal court.

There are a few options for HMRC on how they can recover the overpayment too. If you are called in for an interview under caution (IUC) you should always make a full and frank statement. Depending on the amount the amount of time it will take to recover could be substantial.

You could get sanctions and lose the ability to claim benefits in the future too. I will post this up when on a PC...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

This is a start for you and a good one. 6 years is a very long time to have done this. The amount could be significant and this may be seen as 'so serious' there are a number of options open to HMRC which includes penalties and prosecution in a criminal court.

There are a few options for HMRC on how they can recover the overpayment too. If you are called in for an interview under caution (IUC) you should always make a full and frank statement. Depending on the amount the amount of time it will take to recover could be substantial.

You could get sanctions and lose the ability to claim benefits in the future too. I will post this up when on a PC...

OP said partner moved in April.

Hi Mikey,

Thankyou for your reply, and im sorry if I didnt explain properly.

I was on my own for 6 years ,, but my partner moved in in April this year and I have been wrongly claiming as single since then.

Popperx

Thanks for the update. When HMRC asked for your statements they may be seeing if you provide a false document, by this I mean the may have already had this information by asking your bank and have it already. Please don't be tempted to do this as it could cause more issues in the future.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

April is only eight months ago and still part of the current tax year. Whilst there is probably an overpayment, I wouldn't get worked up about it. At the worst, HMRC will want the overpayment paid back in full but you will be able to negotiate an affordable repayment plan.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.