Housing benefit nightmare

confused85
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had my benefit stopped in August claiming I was living elsewhere and had a nightmare getting it sorted.

At first they said they would just get a copy of the appication made elsewhere for housing benefit and if the signatures didnt match then money would be restarted, no word on that and in the period I got copy of tenancy agreement from my landlord, and a letter stating I never moved out, and a copy of recent bank statement to show I still live here and letter from bank stating my address was never changed, letter from DWP stating my claim began on X date at the current address.

Still refused so was told to give copy of utility bill for July to show I was living here, but I am on pre pay meters and only bill is landline/internet which I provide but it was paid late due to being overcharged so was told it was unsuitable, I then provided 6 months of phone bills and still got nowhere.

They then ask for copies of bank statements which I provide.

Still nothing, I contact again to be told the phone bill is unsuitable because its not itemised so they want a itemised bill.

More time passes and they claim now to not have recieved any bank statements or utility bills so I phone again and advisor sents me out a letter saying in the meantime claim can be reopened as the other claim is closed but wants to see bank statements and utility bills again.

I do this one last time and wait a few weeks and it is reinstated but not for the disputed 3 months from May to August.

I contact again today to be told I have to prove I wasnt getting the money and to do that have to hand in bank statements and utility bills for the period which I have already done a few times!!!

I am getting nowhere and the staff talk down to me as if I am lying.

I did also try getting MP involved but each time it takes a week to get back to me and they just tell me the same as the council

So I am the victim of identity fraud and I am also autistic and suffer from severe depression which is why I am on benefits in the first place and I dont need this!

Most Councils have a document scanning service at reception so please try to use this on future. Ask for a signed receipt and keep this safe. Then once you have this call the benefits advisor to say you have now resent the required information and have your receipt.

Then see what they say. You may also want to consider taking someone with you on your next visit...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I second the suggestion to take your documents to your council's drop in office, if it has one (most do these days, I think) and get a receipt. If they still mess around, try your local elected councillor as well - after all, the staff at the council ultimately answer to the elected members and he or she may be able to find out what's going on.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.