Gym cancellation 30 days notice

Picklebear
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3068 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good evening.

I have read the gym membership cancellation advice but wanted a little clarification.

I have a contract with fit4less that is due to expire on 30th November this year.

My direct debit came out from my account on 2nd November 2015 so on this date I emailed cancellation and cancelled my direct debit.

They have emailed me back saying I have to give 30 days notice not the 29 days I have given.

I think this is a little petty but they are sticking to their guns.

Does anyone have any advice?

If we have been in a 31 day month it wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks in advance.

I'd go with you on this

They don't do court (well once and they lost) and I can't see them being able to argue about 1 day to a judge

You'll simply prob get silly powerless dca letters anyway

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Picklebear,

Welcome to the forum.

It appears you have a simple choice

a) Challenge their pettiness, get harrassed for months on end and it might ultimately (however unlikely) end up in court where the outcome is not certain and the cost could be considerably higher.

b) See if a more senior member of staff will agree to waive the fee which, even if agreed, will probably still end up as (a).

c) Accept their pathetic ways and pay for a further month.

If you choose ©, see if you can pay now and cancel any Direct Debits, otherwise you have to let them take a final DD payment and I wouldn't trust these [problem]s not to overcharge you just because you're leaving.

No doubt far wiser members will be here before too long to offer advice.

Hi PBear,

Who has emailed you saying you have to give 30 days notice - the gym or an external admin company ?

I would argue that you gave 30 days notice before the next DD was due to be paid but leave that until we know more.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi PBear,

Who has emailed you saying you have to give 30 days notice - the gym or an external admin company ?

I would argue that you gave 30 days notice before the next DD was due to be paid but leave that until we know more.

Thanks for replying everyone. It's the gym manager who is quoting the 30 days.

Hi PBear,

Reply to the manager saying :-

I refer to my cancellation dated 2nd November and your suggestion that I gave only 29 days notice instead of the required 30 days.

I have taken advice in the matter and must point out that I gave a clear month's notice on the day you last took a DD payment, ie 2nd December.

The DD has now been cancelled and no further payment will be made by me.

Considering I have been a paying member for a year, I am disappointed that you tried to make me pay a final fee for the sake of one day.

See what they say.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi PBear,

Reply to the manager saying :-

I refer to my cancellation dated 2nd November and your suggestion that I gave only 29 days notice instead of the required 30 days.

I have taken advice in the matter and must point out that I gave a clear month's notice on the day you last took a DD payment, ie 2nd December.

The DD has now been cancelled and no further payment will be made by me.

Considering I have been a paying member for a year, I am disappointed that you tried to make me pay a final fee for the sake of one day.

See what they say.

That is a good letter and straight to the point..

• 3 weeks later...

Evening everyone.

Sorry for the delay but a quick update.

That worked in my favour. I got a reply "on this rare occasion as I do understand what you are say......"

So thank you very much to those who have replied and helped me with this.

Hi PBear,

Can you tell us more of what they said please.

Have they confirmed the cancellation is accepted and you owe no more.