style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I live in a 1 bed flat in a house conversion. Our bedroom is above the kitchen/living area of the problem tenants below us.

For about 2 years we have been complaining to the landlords about the noise from these tenants. They run a loud extractor fan at all hours of the day and night, bang doors and cupboards, shout at each other and their kids. Now they have a crying baby!! The walls are paper thin to the point where the heating cannot keep the room warm at all.

The landlords have written them multiple "warning" letters and had one meeting with them, where they agreed to keep the noise down. This didn't happen. We kept complaining so there was a meeting between us and these tenants, which they denied making the noises. Again it didn't change.

I then wrote a formal complaint, in which they reply was saying we are now alleging the noises are happening, even though in the past we have provided recordings of their noise! They also said if we agree to have the landlords come around and do a sound test (which involved one person in our room and one below shouting and banging doors). It clearly to them failed. They have now organised their building contractors to come around to investigate further - but their solution was a bead of silicone around the skirting boards?? This is yet to happen but will not solve the issue.

Are we within our rights now to start formally telling the landlords that we are withholding rent payments until this problem is fixed?? It's reached a point where my partner now sleeps on the couch in our living area because the noise is just too much.

The other issue is parts of our flat and the building are i believe not up to fire safety standard. By the way the landlords own the entire building.

When we first moved in the building inspector and the boss builder did an inspection. The large window in our bedroom needed to be replaced - it was classed as a fire escape and should remain completely open to roll out of. But it just keeps shutting. The builder was told to replace it. Also our front door should have a furry seal around the edge, but didn't and again, should have been installed. To this day, 2 and a half years later, they have still not been corrected. Are the landlords in breach of our contract and fire safety standards??

Could we ask for a rent reduction perhaps?? And should we seek some form of legal advice?? We are at a loss here - the landlords do nothing and the only time you really here from them is to do with rent payments. We are contracted until mid 2107, and couldn't afford to move now, unless the landlords gave us our full deposit back before we moved out - not going to happen!

If anyone has any sort of advice, it would be greatly appreciated. Or any more elaboration about anything i have written, please leave a post.

THANK YOU!!!!

The landlord's builders have now insulated the other tenants bedroom area and not ours!!!! And they only put a fresh bead of silicone on the top of the skirting board around the bedroom. We are FURIOUS! And no the sound is EXACTLY THE SAME.

Can we seek and where would we seek legal advice??

Would the CAB help or the Council??

Or can we write another formal complaint to the landlords asking them to reduce the rent to match the standard - a bedroom that is uninsulated and freezing in winter with no soundproofing?????

Please can anyone offer any kind of advice??

• 1 month later...

Due to ongoing issues that the landlord will not correct, i am thinking of writing a second formal complaint to my private landlord.

I will this time ask them if they are not prepared to fix all issues that they reduce the rent until such time i can then save money and submit a request for a mutual release.

Does anyone know if i am completely within my rights to do this??

Any info will help.

No harm in trying but, what are the issues with the property?

Is it in previous threads?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?455339-Private-rent-with-noise-issues-and-breach-of-fire-safety

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Threads merged ...please do not start new threads on the same matter.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Threads merged ...please do not start new threads on the same matter.

Regards

Andy

Well - nobody replied the first time with any proper info so i kept it short and sweet.

So which thread title do you prefer?...pick one that will invite more responses.

Your local council housing department and environmental health can deal with the safety aspects and noise aspects.

Your only other course is to consider other properties - either to plan to move or to provide evidence to your landlord that you are over-paying given the condition of the property and the noise issue.

you are entitled to enjoyment of the property - you can ask for reduced rent but whats the point you'll still be getting the noise - maybe if you have a fixed tennancy you can ask if you can terminate based on the problems above and find a quieter place?

• 3 weeks later...

Update: 2nd Formal Complaint put forward to the landlords. Took some advice from the replys in this thread, however1 week has passed and no direct reply.

The only letter they sent was to inform tenants (unsure if all or just us) of an inspection, apparently by the Council. Will wait and see what the Council do......