Tripped and fell in supermarket car park

bolly1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I tripped and fell in Sainsbury's under cover car park.

There was a pool of water on the floor and I fell flat on my face breaking my front tooth and nose.

No one from Sainsbury's came to my aid,

two passers by helped me to my car and I phoned my daughter who drove me to A and E.

I went to Sainsbury's the following day and spoke to the deputy manager, he filled in an accident form.

Went to the car park with me and took photos, examined my shoes

and told me he would look at the CCTV footage and call me up last week.

So far nothing!

I also showed him the A and E report.

My dental bill so far is £350 with another £600 to replace my partial denture.

Can anyone help me draft a letter as I wish to claim compensation?

Do you think I have a case?

I don't know what the CCTV will reveal because I was on the floor covered in blood for a while

and they never sent anyone to help me.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I don't rate your chances high at all.

If it had happened in store then a different kettle of fish all together, the store, even though on private land, can't be responsible for customers falling over, UNLESS, there is of course an obvious fault/crater/pot hole in the car parks surface where you fell?

I think you will be at the mercy of the store manager here, at best they may give you some shopping vouchers, at worst, nothing.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I beg to differ, the owners of the land (Sainsbury's) will be responsible for the actions of their contractors as their direct agents

I would think Vicarious Liability which is strict covers this as the tort took place during a period of employment, that is Sainsbury's and the car park contracted operator

It has not even been confirmed yet if Sainsbury's car park is managed by a third party operator. If the car park is free i very much doubt that

Edited by obiter dictum

Damage as such is not the issue

The issue being was the water in the covered car park excessive??

CCTV will cover that

You need to be requesting a copy immediately before it is wiped of the accident

I would be phoning Sainsbury's head office today and back up the request by email as a paper trail

We have limited details but there is certainly enough to say you will probably have a claim for personal injury from the supermarket.

Google a personal injury lawyer that offers a "no win no fee" deal and let them run the claim for you.

We have limited details but there is certainly enough to say you will probably have a claim for personal injury from the supermarket.

Google a personal injury lawyer that offers a "no win no fee" deal and let them run the claim for you.

So if I walk in a car park, trip over my own feet and break my teeth, I can sue the landowner?

The op has already said no damage or obstacle, and that it was just a puddle.

Accidents happen and if the car park does not have a fault,

and the op did just trip over their own feet,

then how can they claim?

On what grounds?

Because the supermarket failed to keep the car park dry?

Because the car park was not perfectly level?

• Confused 1

So if I walk in a car park, trip over my own feet and break my teeth, I can sue the landowner?

The op has already said no damage or obstacle, and that it was just a puddle. Accidents happen and if the car park does not have a fault, and the op did just trip over their own feet, then how can they claim? On what grounds? Because the supermarket failed to keep the car park dry? Because the car park was not perfectly level?

Did the OP not say she slipped in a puddle?

Where are you getting that the OP tripped over their own feet? Unless I missed something of course.

no wonder fraudulent claims push up fees - get a life

What is fraudulent about what the OP has said?

Try being less ignorant next time.

Well thank you for your concern. Talk about jumping to conclusions, which is not helpful.

I didn't trip over my own feet,

the path where you are supposed to walk is a different surface to where you park your car.

The floor was wet and slippy, with a pool of water on it.

No warning signs.

The manager checked my footwear when I returned to the store to fill out the accident form

and ensured there was no trip hazard or loss of traction.

I certainly do not make a habit of making fictitious claims but I feel the supermarket was negligent

and as I have over a thousand pounds out of pocket expenses,

I will make a claim, if I feel fit.

I find your remarks quite offensive

I have never attempted to make a fraudulent claim in my life.

I ignored your first comment about the rain as I thought your attempt at humour was misplaced,

even with the poor spelling.

I think you need to think about what you are saying before you jump to conclusions.

This is no joke,

I have been asked to decide if I will have surgery.

This is after two major surgeries this year.

I think if you are just here to vent your spleen and not offer constructive advice

you are part of a problem not a solution -therefore you appear to be the one who needs to get a life

It was the wet ground, it made the surface slippy and slick and I tried to save myself from falling. My shoes had traction on the soles but I still tripped.

I don't welcome offensive comments about fraudulent claims. This is the first time I will have made any claim about anything.

• Haha 1

no wonder fraudulent claims push up fees - get a life

What is fraudulent about what the OP has said?

Try being less ignorant next time.

Both of these remarks are extremely unhelpful

Ok, This is the question. What caused you to trip ?

And of course this is the obvious question which no one else bothered to ask.

I thank the genuine people who are trying to help me and giving their advice.

I don't want to claim for pain and suffering or loss of earnings

but I just want to know what are my chances of recouping what I would have to pay the dentist,

as well as what I have already paid.