BankFodder BankFodder

EDBZ

TFL Penalty Notice 2nd Appeal - Help Needed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1614 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help, or if anything can be done,

my problems are twofold.

I received a Penalty Notice in October due to not showing a valid ticket.

I purchased an off peak travelcard for all zones to travel across South London for the evening.

The travelcard was purchased at a Southern Network Rail station just before getting on a bus to a London Overground Station.

I then travelled two stops on the train and got off where

I was stopped by inspectors who informed me that I had purchased a ticket for the wrong date (the next day).

I realised that in my rush as well as being on the phone trying to sort an issue,

I must have pressed the next day on the machine which I purchased the ticket from

but understood that as it was a genuine mistake I would have to purchase another travelcard.

To my surprise, the ticket inspector informed me then that I would be liable to pay a penalty fare due to not having a ticket to show.

I explained that I just did not look at at the ticket when I got it,

I did not attempt to evade a fare and this was not even the end of my journey as I still had to get on the Underground,

I also presented my ticket to the driver of the bus and unfortunately the barriers were open at the London Overground Station

where I got on the train so would never have used the ticket had I have been made aware.

I have appealed the penalty fare,

but it was rejected on the grounds that it is my responsibility and I should have let a member of staff know before I travelled.

I presented my ticket to a bus driver before any train travel

and I had obviously purchased a ticket just before I was about to travel,

does this amount to fare evasion??

I have now been given 14 days as of last week Tuesday to 2nd Appeal but also to pay the fine.

It is however not clear if I must pay the fine and appeal at the same time,

or appeal and if rejected again, then pay the fine.

I also want to ask if it is worth my time appealing again, or let it go I guess.

Hi!

This obviously was not fare evasion - just an unintentional mistake made in a hurry!

Was the ticket confiscated by the inspector?

I think you will by now be required to pay the Penalty Fare, but once paid you might be in a better position to appeal it - If you still have the ticket, take a colour picture of it with your smartphone, and enclose a printout of the ticket picture in an apologetic letter asking for a second appeal.

Hi!

This obviously was not fare evasion - just an unintentional mistake made in a hurry!

Was the ticket confiscated by the inspector?

I think you will by now be required to pay the Penalty Fare, but once paid you might be in a better position to appeal it - If you still have the ticket, take a colour picture of it with your smartphone, and enclose a printout of the ticket picture in an apologetic letter asking for a second appeal.

Hey, thanks for the response.

I understand that there needs to be a deterrent for travellers evading fares, I wish there was a bit of leeway, at the inspectors' discretion, when it comes to genuine mistakes. I have now paid the fine and will follow your advice to appeal. The ticket was not confiscated and I kept it for my first appeal. I will attach it with a second appeal and update when I get a response.

Cheers again for the help

Hey, thanks for the response.

I understand that there needs to be a deterrent for travellers evading fares, I wish there was a bit of leeway, at the inspectors' discretion, when it comes to genuine mistakes. I have now paid the fine and will follow your advice to appeal. The ticket was not confiscated and I kept it for my first appeal. I will attach it with a second appeal and update when I get a response.

Cheers again for the help

Hi, there is always discretion, but unfortunately, as you seem to understand anyway, Penalty Fares are intended for mistakes such as this one.

I'm assuming that your right to appeal is obviously within the 21-days of the notice being issued, but if paying at a later date, you surely can't still appeal? Sounds confusing, but the appeal is assuming you either paid up-front, or didn't pay up-front. By paying now, you're accepting the notice. It's advisable to appeal before paying if you didn't pay at the time, as this won't affect the 21-days and stops the clock whilst the appeal is being held.