BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Hello there,  I would be most grateful for any help or views on a distressing incident that occurred last summer, I can supply more info.  I am a 70 years old retired man and quite severely disabled I use a Mobilty Scooter and walking aids.  I had recently been admitted to hospital with an ongoing heart condition.     I was quite a frequent customer of my local Pub/Restaurant and I had previously submitted several verbal complaints regarding short measures of drinks.  The both managers took exception to this and told me that I was "Never happy until I found something to moan about"  The atmosphere in the Pub generally declined towards myself and I was certainly made to feel unwelcome.  Matters came to a head when I witnessed a dog, inside the Pub, attack a child (A Toddler) who had accidentally trodden on the Dog`s tail.  Fortunately the parents of the child and the owners of the dog reacted quickly and no injury occurred .  The pub was very busy at this time and the incident went somewhat unnoticed.  I brought the incident to the attention of one of the managers and he actually laughed, it was monstrous.  When the pub became quieter I remonstrated with the said manager and I stated that IMO it was dangerous to have dogs and children in such close proximity whist food is being served.  He became extremely unpleasant and told me in no uncertain terms that if I did not like it then to "Stop coming back"   Two days later whilst I was out in the next village with friends my wife rang to inform me that the Owner of the pub had called around to our home and told me wife that I was barred from the pub and to never venture there again; my wife was distressed, she never frequented the pub and the owner and my wife are not well known to each other.  It is my opinion that he had no right whatsoever, to include my wife in this matter and to do so within her own home whilst I was not present.      I returned home then went to the pub to enquire why the owner had visited my home, and upset my wife.  Whilst I was on the pub car park I was met by both the owner and the manager who both informed that I was barred as I had upset staff members.  No suitable explanation was forthcoming from the owner for the reason of his unwanted and unwelcome visit plus his aggressive manner whilst he talked down to my wife.  They both informed me that they would forcefully remove me if I did not leave the car park.   Due to the immense stress I was enduring I felt an urgent need to use the toilet, when i requested to do so I was denied.  I could not believe it, I was in such a hopeless state and was utterly distraught.  Finally I struggled out of the car park but entered the front of the pub and headed for the toilet however they caught up with me and I sat down on a stool and refused to move until i was granted access to the toilet, however they were both adamant that it would not be allowed.  I reminded them that i was disabled but the owner stated that I was `Milking It` and to "Go behind a hedge".  At least half an hour passed, since I had entered the pub, and the owner stated that he would call the Police, I had gathered my thoughts a little by this time and I stated to them that I would call the Police myself and then see if I would be allowed to use the toilets.  I feel the owner began to realise that he might be in trouble as when I began to make the phone call he stated that I could use the toilet however he would accompany me; i had no option but to concur with his somewhat sick condition.  I was forced to defecate whilst he stood immediately outside the door.  My humiliation and embarrassment was complete.    Two days later I wrote to the owner and informed that I was intending to sue him for disability discrimination related offences.  He chose to disregard what I had stated and replied stating that he had no intention of lifting the ban.  I replied stating that I had no desire to ever enter one of his pubs ever again and that he should re-read my letter and respond to the charges.  He did not reply.   I issued proceedings against him in the Small Claim Court for less than £400  (Some of my clothes and a she were damaged due to soiling).  He, rather surprisingly, instructed a solicitor who has threatened me with costs being awarded against me by the court which could run into many many thousands of pounds and that there was clearly no case for her client to answer.  I must admit to being rather alarmed.  The owner is a wealthy man.     The court have advised mediation and have even offered to award one hour of such FOC; I agreed, the defendant refused.  We now have a date for a hearing and I do not know exactly what to expect.  His court response states that he will be bringing two witnesses with him yet there was only he, the owner and the manager who were present.    Much of this was audio recorded and the owner is not disputing much of my statement.  I never threatened violence or used bad language during this most unpleasant incident.      Any help and opinions would be greatly appreciated.   Kind regards.  --  tibar
    • My friend has told them this and got no response as yet nor any refund,  she  is giving them till about 2pm  to refund it or   will be  reporting it as fraud and  seeing the Police etc, have told her please  do not ever  do it again or drag me into it, I will do my best keep you updated   Sandy xx
    • Make sure you keep that email and print it out for safe keeping, just in case the PPC don't quite get the message.
    • Okay i've just sent the letters recorded delivery and have registered with the claims court. Just reading about PAP.
  • Our picks

desktop

woolwich Credit card debt. Cabot type of debt disputed

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 785 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi,

All the debts are credit card debts.

Had an offer of 85% off a £10914 debt owned by Equi Debt but didn't have the money, think they sold the debt on to Cabot.

That was 4 years ago,

Can these people take me to court & get a CCJ against me?

Also an offer of 25% off from Allied International

Hi

Equidebt went bust I believe so the debts were sold. To the best of my knowledge Robinson Way do not buy debts but their parent company Hoist do .

You have done nothing wrong in trying to pay your debts although maybe the choice of management company was not the best, can I ask how much you were paying to them to pay £1 a month to all your creditors?

The CCA request is the best move you can make , its up to you if you continue to pay until they either provide a compliant copy or tell you that they can not . If you need an easier life the £6 a month may be worth it .

The dangers are that they could try to get a ccj against you and if successful they could try to secure it against your home although getting an order for sale isn't going to happen .

If it were me, just to keep to the arrangement i would be paying this months and maybe next but if they do not come up with the goods then stop.

Even if they can not come up they will write to you and say that you still owe the money, that is true but what they can't do is get a judgement against you IF you defend it.

• Confused 1

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Just received 2 replies to my CCA requests from Cabot .

The first letter states that LLoyds TSB are unlikely to be able to provide the requested documentation.

Therefore I can confirm that Cabot have taken the decision to no longer pursue collection of this account unless information is obtained in the future.

The second letter is a bit more worrying as it refers to current account debt for £ 10864 with the woolwich,

returning my £1 stating that there is no need to provide a copy of the credit card agreement as it does not apply

they also say they sent me a letter of assignment dated 9 Aug 2013 which is sufficient evidence to justify their ownership of this account.

To the best of my knowledge I have never had a current account with overdraft facilities with the Woolwich.

Where do I go from here?

Letters

Hi

Well that is good news (ish)

Keep hold of that letter about no CCA

Just to clarify

You have not had a claim have you?

The woowich account or whatever it is, do you have any idea what it is for?

Hi Fletch70.

what is a claim?

I have no idea what the woolwich account is for don't recall any statements or cheque book etc

Keep the first letter safe,

You are sending a SAR to your DMC I think

I think a SAR to barclays (who bought Woolwich) might be in order but I think you need to send a prove it letter to cabot in the guise of a formal complaint.

tell them that your finances were being delt with by a debt management company

however upon reviewing the situation you have no knowledge of any current account with Woolwich

or related bank and thus need them to prove it exists.

Does the reference number look like a current account?

I don't usually ask this but is there any mention of this on your credit file,

it might give you an indication as to the type of account

Yes SAR on its way to DMC today.

Will SAR Barclays also send letter of complaint To Cabot (could you point me in the direction of a template please)

The account number is 12 digits so I guess it does.

dca section of the library

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

Thanks,

Just traced the account referred to by Cabot as a current account amount owing £10,864 (please see posted letter).

The account was in fact a Select personal loan issued by the Woolwich on 18/05/99.

Before being owned by Cabot it was owned by Equidebt who offered me a settlement of 85% off before passing it on to Cabot.

The account was never to my best knowledge a current account as it is now being referred to by Cabot.

Would appreciate advice on how best to deal with this one,

Thanks all for your help so far

85% Discount?!?!?!?!? Well erm... If it was a Loan then it IS applicable to the CCA Request. You can play this one of 2 ways...

Resubmit the request accordingly, but you'll have to be careful to not acknowledge the account.

Or tell them that until they supply a CCA as you have never held a current account with Woolwich then no payment or anything else...

Or you could just ignore them...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Thanks, will give it some thought

well it'll be statute barred whatever it is.

pers I'd ignore them until/unless they issue a claimform

then the SB defence will kill it dead

dx

I don't think it is statute barred as the Op has been paying in a debt management plan. There was a case or two recently about the M&S reserve account that was not a current account.

For now I would send them a prove it letter saying you never held a current account with Woolwich. just watch out for any further letters

sorry yes was on a small screen.

I think its time for an sar to the original creditor too if one is not already running.

might be better to start a new thread for each debt too.

is this the one with the massive discount?

dx

Dx

As far as I know yes it is the bug discount and desktop is going to sar Barclays. They are Woolwich now aren't they.

From my experience with Barclays they will have lost all details.

yep what we're both hoping

would interesting to see when the last payment to Woolwich was and when the fleecers got the op paying them?

poss 6yrs gap?]

I doubt it but who knows. Let's see what the OP has to say.

well 1999 raised my eyebrows.

and if I remember rightly

equidebt only dealt in statute barred bad debt hoping to spoof the mugs they wrote too.

dx

I don't know about equidebt they had a pdl of mine. Certainly not SB but they didn't get anything off me.

Thanks, Prove it letter sent to Cabot.

If I start a new thread on this one how will those helping me access all the history?

Had been using the DMC since 2000

Yes this is the Equidebt one with the 85% offered discount, before it was sold on to Cabot in 2013. Equidebt also referred to it as a current account

Reluctant at this time to send SAR to Barclays as I have a credit card with them

sar wont hurt you

relevant posts concerning this debt can be easily moved for you

most dmc's only do plans for5yrs ish

if you've been with them for +15yrs

99% most the accounts will prove to be cash cowing.

and you'll prob find

the people behind the DMC were/are ex personnel of DCA's that are/were being paid

the DMC would have been building an F&F pot for 15yrs

wheres that money gone..bet I know...

Sent a prove it letter to Cabot today Re their claim that my debt is a current account.

Have since found letter from the Woolwich dated March 2003 giving notice of assignment of the debt to Equifax ltd.

The description they use is ' Your Woolwich plc Personal Loan account'.

No mention of a current account.

Can this letter help or hinder my case?

Have started a new thread for this one titled 'Credit card debt. Cabot type of debt disputed'. Would be helpful if someone could transfer relevant details over please

Thanks

Woops, thought I started a new thread but can't find it. Will try again later