Reduced hours but yet took more staff on

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm contracted to 3 days a week and recently a member of staff who did 5 days a week has took a year off due to illness, I was working 5-6 days a week for 2 months I was happy to do this. Then they took on another member of staff on a 4 day contract.

For the last 2 months I've been doing 4 days a week, but had a call today saying that I've too many holidays booked, not sure how my wage slip says 7 left but manager says 5, that I can look into more.

then went on to say look because you have worked 4 days for the last few weeks I can only give you 1 shift week for the next 4 weeks! I said no I can't!! I'm the only one working in our house as my partner job was lost (due to company going into administration)

Then said I've covered all my contracted hours the last few weeks! But yet the be person is still getting more hours!

I'm fuming what can I do. I've not been with company for 2 years only 9 months, so not sure what to do

I said that too but apprently because I've done 4 days a week instead of 3 the last few weeks it covers the fact I'm now not getting 3 days a week, I stressed that was over time but apprently there is nothing I can do.

Guest topcat14

If you are contracted to work 3 days per week then that is what they should pay you for....no argument.

Your employer should not change your contracted hours without your agreement. It would be interesting to know what exactly (ie word for word) your Terms & Conditions state about your hours of work.

Guest topcat14

Ok, do you have a "Job Offer" letter that states 3 days per week ? or any documents at all that indicate your expected hours of work. Did you sign the terms

As you have worked for 7 months on 3 days per week previous to the increase in hours for the last 2 months, I would suggest "Custom & Practice" could come into play but........your employer would only have to show that there were business reasons to cut your hours for it to be a fair decision.

On the other hand they have taken on someone else. Is the new employee performing the same job role as you ?

If you do 4 hours every week for six months when your original contracted hours are three

You will be then in a position to request your contracted hours be made up to 4 as you can show a business need for you to be doing 4 hours a week regular

Are you sure? Your post here seems to suggest that 6 months is a definitive timeline. Whilst there 'might' be a reason to 'request' a change in normal hours using business need in support of the request, or even to argue that C&P has implied a change to contracted hours of work after 6 months, there is surely no fixed point at which such a request would be granted automatically, or even more likely to be successful. The 'business need' would also depend largely on the nature of the business itself - seasonality or a fluctuation in orders being only two factors to consider.

Only a Tribunal can ultimately determine whether C&P has changed the terms of a contract.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I stated six months to be before you even Consider to ask for custom and practice and increase in contracted hours , i myself would go with 12 months minimum

Depends on your employer but even under custom and practice they can still say no.

The only get out will be if you are continually on a Fixed term or Fixed term temporary contract. But then you will have to wait 4 years before getting your contractual terms increased to a full term substantive contract under statute

Edited by obiter dictum

Correct. And of course the peril of trying to assert Custom and Practice often serves to remind the employer that maybe they need to revert to the contracted hours and bang goes any chance of regular overtime in the future!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

I can't do as this company don't let you, and why should I when I was promised 3 days a week and now not getting it and they took on more staff for the same role and give them more hours.

You should get alternative employment as your current one does not suit you. They seem to be acting legally. Therefore "it's not fair!" will not do you any good.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!