Received debt collection letter from Dubai

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3095 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I left Dubai in July 2010 and had a car loan.

I took the car back to the dealer and spoke to the bank about the remaining amount due on the car loan before I left.

I was leaving relatively quickly and had about 3 weeks to sort all of this out.

The value of the car was about the same as the amount left on the loan.

I think there might have been AED 10,000 difference

. I spoke to the bank and had to wait two weeks to get a letter with the remaining loan amount before I could settle.

Unfortunately the bank was late with this letter and I got on my flight and left this behind. This was possibly a little naive.

5 and a bit years later I have received a letter from a debt collection agency asking for AED 169,000 (approx £25,000).

I think they have sent the letter hoping they have the correct address as I do not think they are 100% sure that I live here.

Can i ignore the letter or should I respond?

I am worried about responding as the amount is so much!

I really cannot aford £25,000 - we'd have to sell our home to pay such a debt.

If its a phishing letter, sit tight and wait for something of more substance. A far as i know, there are no agreements in place between the UAE and UK to enforce debts.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

There are a few examples of the original creditor taking action

But certainly not a no powers dca

They are not baillifs

And have

No such legal powers

Let it run

Seems like you owe nowt anyway

Phishing attempt to fleecers mug

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

I left Dubai in July 2010 and had a car loan.

I took the car back to the dealer and spoke to the bank about the remaining amount due on the car loan before I left.

I was leaving relatively quickly and had about 3 weeks to sort all of this out.

The value of the car was about the same as the amount left on the loan.

I think there might have been AED 10,000 difference

. I spoke to the bank and had to wait two weeks to get a letter with the remaining loan amount before I could settle.

Unfortunately the bank was late with this letter and I got on my flight and left this behind. This was possibly a little naive.

5 and a bit years later I have received a letter from a debt collection agency asking for AED 169,000 (approx £25,000).

I think they have sent the letter hoping they have the correct address as I do not think they are 100% sure that I live here.

Can i ignore the letter or should I respond?

I am worried about responding as the amount is so much!

I really cannot aford £25,000 - we'd have to sell our home to pay such a debt.

Do you intend returning to Dubai and if you did, what would the consequences be? In some countries you might be arrested on return, possibly...

Being that it is over 5 years later and only a fishing letter, it will probably be statute barred before they get around to think about taking it to court. UK courts will look at this debt, provided the Dubai finance agreement allows foreign courts to be used.

If it gets to the stage where they are threatening to issue a UK court claim, start asking for evidence of the debt e,g copy of finance agreement with full terms and conditions in English, statements of account, other documents which prove how the debt amount has been arrived at.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread