@VirginMedia Mobile will not take cancellation in advance?

BazzaS
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3092 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Had grief from Virgin Mobile, with an unhelpful call centre staff member (not for the first time).

They want to sell you a new phone, or a larger tarrif, but asking questions about the tarrif isn't what they want, and when I asked for help and followed their instructions : it didn't fix the problem.)

I'm in credit with them, which credit runs out in 3 months (it was a PAYG SIM initially, topped up numerous times to get 'free data' the next month, and when it had accumulated a large balance I was never going to use, converted to a pay monthly SIM, to use up the credit balance). [VM suggested the swap to Pay monthly, given the credit balance].

So, I asked to disconnect, on a date in the future, once I've used up almost all of my credit, as one has to give at least 30 days notice.

They (customer retentions) declined to take my cancellation request.

Whilst I accept I have to give them at least 30 days notice (and 3 months is more than 30 days),

they claim they also can't take notice any more than 30 days in advance.

"It is the customer's responsibility to call us 30 days before, we can't take notice in advance"

(the rep also agreed that if the customer doesn't remember to call exactly 30 days before, they will end up committed for another month's line rental...........)

Is this correct? if it is, is it "sharp practice"?

The best way forward? Would a letter, stating when I wish to end the contract, (sent by a guaranteed delivery (and signed for) service) work?.

Had grief from Virgin Mobile, with an unhelpful call centre staff member (not for the first time).

They want to sell you a new phone, or a larger tarrif, but asking questions about the tarrif isn't what they want, and when I asked for help and followed their instructions : it didn't fix the problem.)

I'm in credit with them, which credit runs out in 3 months (it was a PAYG SIM initially, topped up numerous times to get 'free data' the next month, and when it had accumulated a large balance I was never going to use, converted to a pay monthly SIM, to use up the credit balance). [VM suggested the swap to Pay monthly, given the credit balance].

So, I asked to disconnect, on a date in the future, once I've used up almost all of my credit, as one has to give at least 30 days notice.

Whilst I accept I have to give them at least 30 days notice (and 3 months is more than 30 days),

"It is the customer's responsibility to call us 30 days before, we can't take notice in advance"

(the rep also agreed that if the customer doesn't remember to call exactly 30 days before, they will end up committed for another month's line rental...........)

The best way forward? Would a letter, stating when I wish to end the contract, (sent by a guaranteed delivery (and signed for) service) work?.

Make a formal complaint in writing threatening to go to the relevant ombudsman. They cannot expect you to phone them exactly 30 days ahead of the date you wish to cancel.

I am finding with VM that their US owner is cutting customer services based in the UK. The other day i phoned them and it was answered in a call centre in India. I later phoned and spoke to someone in Scotland who did not have access to the information i was seeking, presumably because they are in the process of having work outsourced.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Make a formal complaint in writing threatening to go to the relevant ombudsman. They cannot expect you to phone them exactly 30 days ahead of the date you wish to cancel.

I am finding with VM that their US owner is cutting customer services based in the UK. The other day i phoned them and it was answered in a call centre in India. I later phoned and spoke to someone in Scotland who did not have access to the information i was seeking, presumably because they are in the process of having work outsourced.

They are persisting with their statement of the situation : their social media team say :

"we can’t log the disconnection until 30 days till the contract is due to expire. Sorry for any inconvenience. "

They are persisting with their statement of the situation : their social media team say :

"we can’t log the disconnection until 30 days till the contract is due to expire. Sorry for any inconvenience. "

Raise the issue with the relevant ombudsman as their process is designed to stop customers leaving, when they want to.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Raise the issue with the relevant ombudsman as their process is designed to stop customers leaving, when they want to.

VM's complaints page (from 2011) has CISAS as their independent adjudicator.

http://www.virginmobile.com/vm/media/pdf/Complaint_code_Jan_11.pdf

Oftel's webpage has a link to otelo, but it is a dead link ...

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/news/on59/otelo0303.htm

Do I need to exhaust VM's complaints procedure +/ use CISAS before going to the Ombudsman?

Is it Otelo

http://www.otelo.org.uk/website/html/content.php?ID=11

Or Ombudsman services?

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

You couldn't make it up. I thought I'd try to call in again and see what I got told.

They were adamant they could only accept 30 days notice.

I asked what would happen if I gave 30 days notice.

They prefer to end my contract in 30 days, refunding me £20-odd.

£20 less in their accounts that I can spend with a different provider.

Seems bizarre that

a) they don't follow standard contract procedure allowing for notice to be given in advance of the 30 day minimum

b) they prefer to end the contract sooner than I wanted, and give me a refund instead of letting me use the credit up,

But their choice, and I'll accept the resolution.

Have you got a record of this call, Bazza ?

I don't understand why it is so difficult to end a contract !

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Have you got a record of this call, Bazza ?

I don't understand why it is so difficult to end a contract !

No recording, as Virgin don't allow 3 way calling, so the iPhone call recording apps don't work.

I do :

a) have a witness to the call, and

b) have the text they sent, while I was on the call of them moving my SIM to PAYG in 30 days.

As a result of that text I also made sure (& my witness heard) that the £20-odd will be refunded to me within a week ("5 working days", in fact) and NOT applied as a credit to the PAYG account, as that was my concern when I got the "we've cancelled your contract tariff, you'll move to PAYG on 3/12/15" text

It wasn't hard to cancel in the end.

They just didn't want to cancel in February 2016 having run my credit down (my preferred solution)

They prefer me to cancel in early December (2 1/2 months earlier) and refund me £20-odd! : not my preferred solution, but acceptable to me.

Either they just wanted to get rid of me, realised their position was nonsensical but wanted to save face, they don't know what they are doing, or the £8/month tariff isn't proving profitable & they want shot of it ...... Just as long as the promised refund happens....