Tax credit claim as single when been in a relationship. Please help

Yorkie123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3070 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am new to the site and out of mind with worry.

I have been claiming as a single person when I have been living with someone for 9 years. The relationship has been rocky since day 1 and he had suggested we separate in several occasions. He's had affairs and told me he doesn't love me but we've stayed together in the same house as I'm on a low wage and can't afford to move out. The house is his all bills and mortgage in his name. The house is up for sale at present and when it sells I'm on my own with my son who is not my partners he is from a previous relationship.

My reasons for doing this were that I thought we would separate sooner than this. I don't contribute to the bills he pays everything for which I am grateful. I only earn £900 a month so it's difficult to move out as I can't afford to rent. I have no family other than my 85 year old mum who lives 80 miles away. I feel I'm totally on my own. Had a letter stating they have information that someone else lives in the house. I have rung to stop my claim but they say I have to wait for the next letter asking me for information.

I'm out of my mind with worry not eating not sleeping and seeing my doctor next week as I'm just not functioning. I've never done anything dishonest in my life and never even had a parking ticket. I genuinely believed we would separate before now and stupidly left my claim as single. With all the emotional turmoil I just pushed it to one side and honestly never gave it another thought. I admit I filled in the declarations wrongly but am willing to be totally honest and up front with them. I'm so worried I will go to prison. I'm all my son has and I can't bear the thought of him being left alone.

No idea of the over payment yet but fear it will be extreme. Please any help and advice would be appreciated. I can provide further info if needed. Please don't judge me.

Edited by Andyorch
Paragraphs

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.