lowell/cohen Claim Form - Orange 'debt'

issie56
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3081 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know for sure.

My internet account is different to this one and I can't remember what my mobile account was because I never got contract,

just an invoice for my phone from the car phone warehouse telling me that Orange would be my supplier.

I never missed any payments (£10.50 monthly). It all went wrong when they put all of the accounts together!

This, will be for early cancellation charges re my phone which were in effect forced on me because of their refusal to accept payment alone.

They promised to sort it out and never did, but without the telephone transcripts of course I can't prove this!

Lesson learnt here, I never have a mobile phone with the same company as my internet!

If the worst case scenario happens and I have to go to court,

could I appeal a CCJ on the grounds of the internet thing?

Also, with the going to court thing, my illness is unpredicatable and if they set a court date and I am ill what would happen?

I am in the support group for ESA and worry that if anything happens to me,

this will pass to my children (which is why I am fighting this) and

at the moment, I am working to be completely debt free in case the inevitable comes sooner rather than later :-)

issie56

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are not sure if the claim refers to internet service or mobile phone...you need to establish what the above account number refers to then before you submit a defence.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I am sure it applies to cancellation of mobile phone charge! This has been confirmed to me.

But is complicated by the fact that they cancelled my contract not me, because the accounts were put together! I wanted to continue to pay.

This is why I am not wanting to admit to it, because I had no choice in the matter,

pay all the outstanding amount for that month, phone and internet that I did not have or my account would be suspended,

regardless of whether I paid my normal monthly payment of £10.50 as it would still leave the internet balance.

As I said in previous posts,

they said they would sort it out and rebill me!

They never did this and instead cancelled my account!

I wanted to carry on just paying for my mobile phone each month, as I said the internet thing complicated this on their part.

What ever happens, I know this is down to them not me.

I was told it would be sorted, i.e. internet account cancelled with no charges and mobile phone to continue paying.

issie56

Stick with the defence posted at #40 then ...disregard the above.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Also,

this is why I said in my defence that I neither admit or deny this paragraph and in effect needed clarification which is why I sent a CPR31.14.

And this is why I said I would be in a better position to defend when I had this information from Lowell in writing,

i.e. I could resubmit my defence should it come to light afterwards that this is not after all for a mobile phone early finish charge

(it is not for non-payment of my contract because I was up-to-date - never missed a payment, which I can prove).

Sorry to be dim, do you mean the one that dx kindly sorted for me? i.e. the last one posted last night before today's one?

Thank you so much for all your help, you and everyone!

issie56:-)

Yes post# 40...but lose the neither admit or deny ...just deny...tends to get up District Judges noses.

no harm in ringing orange and asking.

atleast they will be able to tell you what the account number in the POC relates too.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Okay! that's what I thought, innocent till proven guilty I guess :-) My daughter has just shown me how to find post numbers :oops:

Will send tomorrow, as I don't think I will receive anything from Lowell and chums by the court deadline anyway.

I will update you as to the outcome.

Many thanks

issie56

yes very much so.

it shows there something fishy going on here

cannot orange simply confirm what the number refers too though {phone or internet dongle]

cant see why they cant tell you that.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

They just said to go back to Lowell.

I went to Cohen, they were quite acccurate about dates,

I only had my dongle whilst I waited for my internet to be set up.

Once I ordered internet this was deactivated (no contract for my dongle this was pay-as-you go).

The scant information from Cohen points to my mobile phone,

last payment in June 2012 when my internet installation was attempted.

Couldn't pay in July 2012 (could but still a balance for my non-existent internet) and so it went to deadlock!

My defence should be okay though?

At worst, if not, I should have a future opportunity to explain what I have explained to you guys!

with stuff to back it up.

issie56

Hi DX

I am just putting together my final draft of my defence to send later today.

I think I asked this question before - does Section 82a of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 apply to an unregulated mobile phone account.

My interpretation of this part of the act is that it is inapplicable, and only applies to regulated accounts.

You are the experts though, so have I got this completely wrong?

Can I definitely quote this this section of the CCA in my defence?

Or should I take it out?

(sorry, in a past life before nature took its toll I was an academic so asking questions is second nature).

Many thanks for your help!!

issie56

that's the std def

used loads of times on mobile claims.

simply go check others yourself here

dx

and they

issie - could you post up the defence you are planning on submitting please? It will be easier to get some responses on it then.

Your situation is quite unusual, so I'd be careful to ensure you have scope to expand upon it so as to include the details of your dispute when you come to witness statement stage.

Sham

Hi Sham

You are completely spot on with this. I have studied over the past few days in some detail the necessary statutes. I have made clear that I neither admit or deny (As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5 (1b) the claim. I have stated that as the Claimant's statement of case fails to give adequate information I am unable to properly assess my position with regards to the claim.

I have not received the information requested via CPR.31.14, as such I have added that

'I request the court orders the Claimants to provide the necessary documentation in order for me to fully plead my case else the Claim should stand struck out.

In the event that the relevant documents are received from the Claimants I will then be in a position to amend my defence, and would ask that the Claimants bear the costs of the amendment'.

I feel this is sufficient to give me scope to expand upon it as you suggest. Thank you for this! I have taken the decision not to include the Consumer Credit Act in my defence as my interpretation of the act is that it is inapplicable to the claim, since the statement of claim refers to an unregulated account. I don't think in the larger scheme of things its inclusion or exclusion will impact on my final defence.

issie56

You can't really not deny the claim in my view, as you categorically do not owe anything due to Orange terminating the contract after rejecting your attempts to make payment for the phone account. Therefore, you should deny the claim.

All you need to do in my view, is angle your defence in such a way that it is clear that the service provider has mucked up - this being done in your witness statement at a later stage. You have written 90% of your witness statement in post #1.

The CCA, as I understand it, doesn't apply to mobile phone contracts. So, I think you are correct there.

Just go ahead and submit the standard 'prove it / no paperwork' defence that's been used many times on here. It will push them to supply key documentation later and probably also cause them to have second thoughts about pursuing this any further.

Post whatever you're considering submitting as your defence here first so we can have a quick look before you submit it. I haven't got time today to go looking for a good example for you...think you have one on an earlier page anyway.

Once your defence is in you can chill for a while. At the next stage you can turn the screw on them.

Sham

Hi Sham

I am using the standard one used. See earlier posts yesterday.

I do intend to use the defence in my witness statement that I put in the first post.

I have started to redraft this.

I have just submitted it my defence.

So will wait and see.

From what I read last night online, it seem that DCA's buy debts in job lots and send them out speculatively in the hope they can either secure judgement by default or get an admission.

It seems rare that once asked for proof of the debt that they actually continue to pursue it.

Thank you so much of all your help, and DX (even though I get stuck with your abbreviations :| thank heavens for google!) and Andyorch

I am sure it will turn out ok in the end.

Will keep you posted

issie56

Yes, they rarely succeed in these sort of claims when some resistance is put up.

They profit from naivety, fear, confusion....even bare-faced lies.

Your case is slightly different in that you didn't just decide to stop paying on a mobile phone contact,

and now they're trying to claim payment for the remainder of the contract.

I think it's safe to say that you shouldn't have much problem successfully challenging this

- but, there again, why should you even have to.

I can't stand some of these utilities companies just as much as I do for DCA's and their ilk.

I wouldn't bother with concerning yourself too much with the witness statement for the moment.

There'll be plenty of time ahead.

Just keep one eye on things and post any developments up here (if you need to).

Sham

Hi Sham

Thanks! Yes, from what I have read on the forums they tend to target the very vulnerable and with legal aid almost non-existent - someone has to step in! these forums do a good job, I am impressed.

issie56

Could you please copy the defence you have submitted here issie56

Regards

Andy