Advantage Finance, VT'd car - now they want £1800 for 'repairs'

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

in 2013 I acquired a grand scenic with Advantage Finance.

I had passed the point where I was able to return the car via a VT and not pay anything back.

That was 2-3 ago.

In the months before the car was taken, I had bought a brand new battery and fixed the alternator and also changed all 4 wheels.

I paid for the car to be collected as Advantage told me the nearest return garage was in Slough and I live in London.

So the guy came for the car and left my husband with a pink receipt We also took a video of the inside and outside of the car.

Today I got a letter from Advantage stating that I need to pay more than £1800 to bring the car back up to 'standard'.

I am shocked because there is nothing wrong with the car, the interior was cream so it did need a clean

but that is how I bought it and it certainly isn't bad enough to cost that mush to fix, the car is only worth £3000.

I am planning top call them tomorrow but it will be a Saturday so I'm unsure if they will be open.

I am looking for any advice really. I don't even know what to say to them.

I can dispute this but I don't want them to fob me off.

Do they have to show me how they came up with this amount?

I am so annoyed.

I believe that I will be able to claim back my motor, Gap and other insurances (hopefully), but do I have to pay this £1800 first?

I only got the insurances because the guy didn't want to take no for an answer

and he said that the monthly payment would actually be LOWER with them.

Please help

nothing unusual there then.

you want a detailed report send with before and after photos.

to prove their claims

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

nothing unusual there then.

you want a detailed report send with before and after photos.

to prove their claims

dx

Thank you.

I will ask for this. Can they refuse to give me this information?

Once I get this information, what do I do? I'm so sorry if this sounds like a illy question, I'm just clueless!

Is there a complaints/dispute procedure that I need to follow or is it just the Advantage procedure.

Thanks so much

no they cannot refuse

you can take it to the fos

they'll prob drop it bit by bit

as you refute each part

these companies always try it on

thinking they can mug people

they've already spoofed you into paying to return it

when there was no need to pay anything.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thats great news. I don't want to fight just to get that information.

I don't understand, I didn't need to pay? could I claim that back with the different insurances I have been paying and not used? I guess that would come after I get a detailed report?

Thank you

ofcourse you can claim them back

theoldrouge will pop in and cross I and dot the t's soon.

dx

and they

When you think about it, how can they make a comparison with how it was when you bought it, they weren't there so never saw it. As said above, these companies not only rip you off with interest rates charged, but continue to try every dirty trick in the book to get more money out of you.

It would be preferable to do any corresponding with them by letter or email so you have hard copy. They already duped you once on the phone, don't give them a chance to do it again.

Yes I agree with all the above. There is no requirement for you to pay any collection fees. They are required to collect the vehicle or arrange a suitable drop of point within a reasonable distance form your address, so this needs to be reclaimed. This is consistent with all advice from motoring groups and all the main advice agencies(and the legislation).

It is quite usual unfortunately for them to chance their arm and attempt to intimidate for repair costs on returned vehicles.

They should be reminded that the CCA 1974(101) only requires you to take "reasonable care of goods", it does not require you to return the vehicle to showroom condition, or resolve any defects which were on it when you purchased the vehicle.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Thanks everyone.

I was going to call them but I will email them instead for the full 'repair' requiremnets and costings. Once I get that I will point out what you said Dodgeball regarding the CCA 1974 and request a refund of insurances and collection cost. I will also do this in writing.

I am assuming even after I challenge their costings they will come back to me straight away with more pressure, do I then go to the FOS or do I do something before that?

Thanks do much guys, this is so new to me!

Yes, dont expect this to go away after one letter, but if you stick to your guns, they will eventually get the message.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Yes, dont expect this to go away after one letter, but if you stick to your guns, they will eventually get the message.

Thank you.

I want to be able to quote something in my letter to back me up so they know I know what I am on about. What legislation should I mention - Just the CCA 1974 100 and 101? any specific points?

Thanks again!

It is best to address the specific points of their claim, is it possible to reproduce the exact wording of the letter on here.

Just to be sure this is a HP agreement not a PCP one, in other words there is no excess mileage clause on the contract ?

Hii

Yes thats fine. A couple of questions.

I see there is a sum required to settled the termination(£189) is there any explanation for this. Did you for instance have any arrears or keep the car for some time after the termination date ? What was the half way settlement sum on the HP agreement ?

Have you commenced a claim for the optional PPI ?

The collection fee is not chargeable, unless you chose this option over an offer of dropping the car off within a reasonable distance(usually about 20 mins)

Was there no further information supplied regarding the repairs required ?

Hii

Yes thats fine. A couple of questions.

I see there is a sum required to settled the termination(£189) is there any explanation for this. Did you for instance have any arrears or keep the car for some time after the termination date ? What was the half way settlement sum on the HP agreement ?

Have you commenced a claim for the optional PPI ?

The collection fee is not chargeable, unless you chose this option over an offer of dropping the car off within a reasonable distance(usually about 20 mins)

Was there no further information supplied regarding the repairs required ?

Hi,

I am unsure what this is for as I never missed a payment. they told me I had to pay almost £400 when I wanted to VT and that they would spilt in between last month this month (Nov). I'm assuming this was so I could get up to the 50% mark but no, I do not have any arrears.

They wanted me to return the car by the 19th and it was collected on that day, I was not there but my husband was and he signed the report - does that matter than I didn't sign it? They said that the nearest drop off point was in Slough and I live in south London so its over an hour away so I paid because I though I had no option.

Regarding the repairs, this is all I received, just one page. I emailed Advantage only yesterday for further information on the repairs because I only got this letter the end of last week, I think Thursday.

I have not started a claim for PPI yet, can I do this before I get the requested information?

I definitely want to claim this and the collection fee though, I only took it because the guy wouldn't take no and he said the monthly payments would be less with the insurances - which oddly they were.

Let me know what you think, thank you :)

Hi

Please forgive all the questions, but I have to have an accurate picture if I am to help with the response.

It would be easier if I could see the agreement, if possible(if you do please be sure to blank out all personal details, I only need the financial ones) also it would be helpful if you could tell me the date of the last contractual payment, and any payments made to them since.

You should start your PPI claim as soon as possible, I would go onto the FOS website and download the claim form, and get it off recorded delivery to the the finance company, in the mean time we should include in the reply that the PPI is in dispute in that it was missold.

An hours drive is not a reasonably distance and this fee can certainly be challenged.

You mention that your husband signed a "condition report" did they leave you a copy of this ?

Hi,

Not too many questions at all, I am really thankful for your advice.

Yes have a copy of the condition report, just a pink copy of the original.

I am unsure of the last contractual payment. I just checked and the car was collected on 12th oct not 19th as I previously said. I cancelled my direct debit when the accepted my VT so I missed Septembers payment but when I received the letter that I owed £330 odd (attached) , they said they could take it in 2 payments, oct and Nov so I paid october 20th the 1st half. Yesterday the sent me a request for £24 in late fees (also attached)

Thanks for the advice regarding the PPI, I will start doing that straight away.

.[ATTACH=CONFIG]60074[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60075[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]60076[/ATTACH]

late fees

time for reclaiming!

dx

and they

Thanks for that I will have a read and get back to you tomorrow.

Can I ask when the VT was accepted by them as this will be the termination date, not the date it was collected and also what does it say on the pink report regarding the condition of the vehicle.

Thanks for that I will have a read and get back to you tomorrow.

Can I ask when the VT was accepted by them as this will be the termination date, not the date it was collected and also what does it say on the pink report regarding the condition of the vehicle.

The letter was dated the 21st September and they said I had 21 days from that date to return the car so i believe that was the date it was accepted although I requested it a few days before, unfortunately my payment date is the 20th which maybe why they are claiming I had arrears.

I have attached the pink form. Its hard to read even on the paper. It says something like all seats stained which there at purchase, the sets are cream and the car was a feb 2007 reg so there would be. I also just noticed the receipt is from Shoreham Vehicle Auctions so its probably been sold by now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60078[/ATTACH]

Edited by MsApple

Hi,

Today I received the breakdown of 'repairs' and it was ridiculous.

I want to write to them about this tonight so I can email it to the person on my case.

I will explain that I dont feel these 'repairs' were needed as the car was in good condition for its age and the 'damage' does not tally with the price.

I think the only thing I could maybe agree with is the clean for the interior at £100

- it was cream so it could have done with a clean but most of the stains were there when I bought the car.

Is there anything in the law that I need to point of or anything that people think would be useful.

Thanks so much

so they have the report from before you brought the car...no???

then they can..........

dx

and they

If they are insisting, then you want a full breakdown of repair costs 'and' a copy of the bills with the repairers letterhead attached.

This letter did originally have the Shoreham Auction logo on it, I just took off my personal information.

I realised that I need to quote CCA 1974 but what do I need to say specifically. I am really struggling to write this email.

Also I can't find a form to claim PPI on the FOS website for Advantage, just lots of banks. Does anyone know if there is a generic form? I really want to claim my insurances back.

Thanks guys