• Tweets

• Hey,   Just wanted to share a quick experience for a lost Hermes parcel worth a couple of hundred pounds. I accepted Hermes' offer to use mediation and was pleasantly surprised! I read all the threads on here and thanks to the Bankfodder's great advice I came in confident and with notes and was not prepared to reduce the claimed amount even by 10p.    Firstly Hermes stated that my item was not one that is normally covered and due to its fragile nature it is not compensated and secondly they give the ordinary "you have not opted for insurance bla bla". These were their points and even before I started stating my arguments they were already out with an offer to cover the item value in full and the postage costs for it but NOT the small claim fee of 25 pounds. To me this sounded as a reasonable compromise since I got other things to do during the day. This 25 pounds compromise was about 5 percent  of the overall claim value so that was fine by me.    I went to mediation extremely sceptical having read some of the other ppl's experiences, but I'm glad to say mine took only 2 quick calls, everything was settled in no more than 20 minutes, the mediator was superb, extremely friendly, polite and with a sense of humour  and they just asked me to send my bank details in response to their upcoming email and that was that.    p.s -> I could feel the mediator was actually on my side a lil bit, but what reasonable person would side with such a shameful and honestly disgusting company anyway   All in all, I would highly recommend the experience for anyone who's still on fence regarding mediation. Open small claims against them Hermes mfs, make them pay, they are so aware of their unlawful approaches ! On my part, I will never ever use Hermes services ever. However, in fairness, this whole saga's been going on for two and a half months and I've lost so much time and effort and nerves on the matter that it was worth at least 10 times that settlement. I've been through 41 calls with them regarding the item and went to their depot twice to look for my item...   Have a great week guys/gals   Best
    • i see you have all the statements in the earlier post    pop welcome int rate in cell d15 of out CI sheet Latest Spreadsheets - PPI Claims and Charges Claims - Dec 2011 - Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) - Consumer Action Group   enter every penalty charges. on it date    
    • dx I manage to locate quite alot of paperwork from welcome sent previously - what am I looking for? Im a bit worried that they are going to start court proceedings after their letter last week, im not keen to send them bank statements   Hi peterbard this is a secured loan , i dont believe there is any policy in place   dx should I have sent an SAR to Welcome and Coast even though Coast had taken over the loan?  I have a pile of paperwork i have located thats about 2 reems of paper, from the SAR's I have sent previously.  There is a lot of information - the SAR requests more recently were sent on CDROM and were not accessible after a certain amount of time (i think the username and passcode expire or something)
    • We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers. View the full article
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 31 replies

Tax Credits Random Enquiry

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1893 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello, today I received a letter from HMRC regarding my and my partners Tax credit award.

The letter states that we have been randomly selected for an enquiry. HMRC are requesting :-

a) Details of any social security benefits received.

b) Evidence of child benefit entitlement including reference number (example, bank statement showing payments received)

c) Bank statements for the period 1 January 2015 to 31 March 2015 (This is very specific, not like a whole year or anything)

Now, Just to make you all aware, I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE, and WILL be sending all the information to them.. however, my question is, Do the HMRC have a right to demand bank statements? Has this been passed in Law? what rights do we have regarding the request for bank statements?

Just for clarity, On the claim is myself, my partner and our three children aged between 4 and 11, we are in receipt of Tax Credits, Work Related Activity Group for ESA and child benefit.. We are both unemployed due to severe ill health.

Thanks in advance

Don't know if the tax credit act lists specifics but it does say that they can request any information or documents that the board deems necessary for making their decision.

The claimant compliance manual used by them regularly mentions requesting bank statements.

Given the number of cases they have requested bank statements for in the past 12 years I don't imagine it's against any law for them to do so.

Asking for 3 months seems reasonable as that should give them a general picture of any income you may receive.

They may well be doing this to placate parliament on the supposed number of fraudulent claims but the truth is they have NO records of payments made themselves, just payments that are supposed to be made and by asking for details they can then do an assessment of whether their system is working or not.

Years ago they claimed I had received an overpayment of some £8k when they had actually failed to pay anything at all. My MP got involved and they paid the backdated amount by giro cheques with a max payment of £100 per cheque so I got a large bundle of cheques. I didnt cash these as I wasnt sure they were getting things right adn lo they asked me to repay 38k overpayment the next year as well. I asked for proof of payment and pointed out there had been no encashment of the cheqies and they admitted they didnt try and trace payments or palance the books as far as payments claimed and issued, they just assumed that whatever they said had been paid was paid by bank transfer and coulnt even trace their own cheque numbers.

Basically they are asking for your help so they can do an audit but threaten you if you dont help them do their job..

• 3 weeks later...
Hello, today I received a letter from HMRC regarding my and my partners Tax credit award.

The letter states that we have been randomly selected for an enquiry. HMRC are requesting :-

a) Details of any social security benefits received.

b) Evidence of child benefit entitlement including reference number (example, bank statement showing payments received)

c) Bank statements for the period 1 January 2015 to 31 March 2015 (This is very specific, not like a whole year or anything)

Now, Just to make you all aware, I HAVE NOTHING TO HIDE, and WILL be sending all the information to them.. however, my question is, Do the HMRC have a right to demand bank statements? Has this been passed in Law? what rights do we have regarding the request for bank statements?

Just for clarity, On the claim is myself, my partner and our three children aged between 4 and 11, we are in receipt of Tax Credits, Work Related Activity Group for ESA and child benefit.. We are both unemployed due to severe ill health.

Thanks in advance

I think I've just received almost the same letter, but mine requires child's birth certificate, childcare information, children's savings accounts and copies of all bills.

As I had a change of circumstances during the year as my partner left me I am assuming they are just checking back up documentation to see if this complies.

It's always a worry but if you have not done anything wrong it should go fine.

I have also received a letter from HMRC. I am worried sick about it. It says "there is someone else linked to my address". I have lived alone since June 2015 & even before that I only had a house mate, nothing else. No children or partners at all.

We had separate bedrooms & lived separate lives, but shared the bills. He had half the bills in his name & me the other half, as a fair split.

I feel worried to death about this "investigation" & feel guilty, despite having done nothing wrong at all.

I want to say to them, come over & check & it will be obvious it is just me here. It's not enough to be a single woman, now they want to investigate it too, like it's something so unusual. Maybe some women just live alone!!

Very P'd off.

S