Protect Your Bubble-Repair rather than replace water damaged phones***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3096 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys,

I accidentally dropped my iPhone 6 down the toilet about 2 months ago. The damn thing was in my top pocket and slipped out when i bent down to pick something up. Nightmare, as the toilet had bleach in it.

I fished the phone out, gave it a very quick rinse, because of the bleach and towel dried it, then stuck it in some rice, as I've heard of people doing this. I called Protect your bubble to start the claim.

I left it in there for a day then tried the phone. it was all over the place to start but then began to work properly and continued to do so for the next couple of days, so i cancelled the claim. last week, the phone died after i installed ios9. i took it to the apple store, who opened it up and said that the water damage had finished it off. I explained what happened and they said that they would never replace this phone because of the water damage and more importantly the bleach.

I reopened the claim with PYB and sent the phone off to A Novo, who is their repair company. After a few days I called PYB to get an update. they said that the phone is still being repaired. I questioned this because of what Apple said. PYB said that their contract with A Novo was to repair the phone rather than replace and that the phone would be fine. that got me thinking, so I cold called A Novo to get their opinion. They said that they would never repair a water damaged phone, let alone one that had bleach in it. I mentioned PYB and they said that their contract with PYB is to repair 1st and only replace if the phone doesn't pass the 40 point check. They also said that their work is guaranteed for 180 days.

Im still waiting for the phone back, which should be Tuesday, so my question is Where do I stand with the repair? My concern is that it may work now but as time goes on , the metallic parts will corrode and the phone may fail outside of the 180 days warranty

many thanks

EOS-5D

CAG Toolbar downloaded :D

Get your phone back... See what they did with it... Then if you are unhappy.. .Complain

To me this is worthy of a CEO complaint...

You cant do much until you get your phone back...

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

They are allowed to do the repair, if it can be done and if you get phone back, if it dies after 180 days warranty, if you can get evidence of the cause of the failure, you can still claim. If the failure relates to an inadequate repair, PYB will have to reopen the claim and pay for a replacement if that is what is needed.

See what happens. No reason for a complaint yet. I cannot see PYB just replacing, unless A Novo say it is necessary.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They are allowed to do the repair, if it can be done and if you get phone back, if it dies after 180 days warranty, if you can get evidence of the cause of the failure, you can still claim. If the failure relates to an inadequate repair, PYB will have to reopen the claim and pay for a replacement if that is what is needed.

See what happens. No reason for a complaint yet. I cannot see PYB just replacing, unless A Novo say it is necessary.

Exactly, no need to complain just yet...

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Guys,

I accidentally dropped my iPhone 6 down the toilet about 2 months ago. The damn thing was in my top pocket and slipped out when i bent down to pick something up. Nightmare, as the toilet had bleach in it.

I fished the phone out, gave it a very quick rinse, because of the bleach and towel dried it, then stuck it in some rice, as I've heard of people doing this. I called Protect your bubble to start the claim.

I left it in there for a day then tried the phone. it was all over the place to start but then began to work properly and continued to do so for the next couple of days, so i cancelled the claim. last week, the phone died after i installed ios9. i took it to the apple store, who opened it up and said that the water damage had finished it off. I explained what happened and they said that they would never replace this phone because of the water damage and more importantly the bleach.

I reopened the claim with PYB and sent the phone off to A Novo, who is their repair company. After a few days I called PYB to get an update. they said that the phone is still being repaired. I questioned this because of what Apple said. PYB said that their contract with A Novo was to repair the phone rather than replace and that the phone would be fine. that got me thinking, so I cold called A Novo to get their opinion. They said that they would never repair a water damaged phone, let alone one that had bleach in it. I mentioned PYB and they said that their contract with PYB is to repair 1st and only replace if the phone doesn't pass the 40 point check. They also said that their work is guaranteed for 180 days.

Im still waiting for the phone back, which should be Tuesday, so my question is Where do I stand with the repair? My concern is that it may work now but as time goes on , the metallic parts will corrode and the phone may fail outside of the 180 days warranty

many thanks

EOS-5D

Hi,

My name is Ash and I work for Protect Your Bubble.

I was really sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced with your phone and would like to see If I can help in anyway. If you can please send me a direct email to Ash(at)protectyourbubble(dot)com I will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards

Ash

Protect Your Bubble

Jake and Ash of Protect your Bubble. Please make contact with our admin department for permission to post on our forum.

[email protected] (no spaces)

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi,

My name is Ash and I work for Protect Your Bubble.

I was really sorry to hear about the issues you have experienced with your phone and would like to see If I can help in anyway. If you can please send me a direct email to Ash(at)protectyourbubble(dot)com I will be more than happy to look into this for you.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind Regards

Ash

Protect Your Bubble

Poster Ash-PYB of Assurant Solutions has now been approved to approach you EOS-5D to try to resolve your problem.

Regards

Andyorch

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ash-PYB,

You can see the circumstances of my concern in my OP. I had forgotten about the water damage, so when the phone started to fail, I contacted Apple Customer Services as I thought that it was an issue that could bet resolved though some sort of reset.

I tried all of the rest procedures, including a complete erase and re-install, which was when the phone completely shut down. I took it to an Apple Store, when the tech guy opened it up and showed me that it was severely water damaged ( the water damage indicators had been triggered ).

I then remembered about the phone falling into the toilet, so I asked if it could be repaired. The tech guy said that Apple do not recommend that water damaged phones be repaired, as its like a ticking time bomb. I asked what they usually do in these circumstances. He told me that they offer a service exchange for £229. I called PYB, who to ask if I could pay the £229 for the service exchange and get hit reimbursed from PYB at a later date. The advisor said no. The phone had to be sent away to be repaired.

I told her what the Apple tech guy said, to which she replied by saying that all Apple want to do is sell me another phone. I was shocked at this comment, as this solution would get me up and running again, which minimal delays, where as Ive been without my phone for a week now and possibly longer as I may not be happy with the repair or find a fault with it in the coming days, weeks or months.

Surely, the cost difference is that much between the £229 that Apple get for the service replacement as opposed to what A Novo are charging to repair my seemingly terminated phone?

It would be interesting to see what they've charged, to see what price PYB put on their customers satisfaction?

Many thanks

EOS-5D

Edited by citizenB

CAG Toolbar downloaded :D

A Novo would not charge very much for their repair service, as it is done on a huge scale. I would be surprised if it was more than £20 per phone. And they will just check the condition of parts, giving them a good clean first. PYB will have required A Novo to have sourced replacement parts that are required for water damage repairs and some won't cost very much. It depends on what needs to be done. If it is too much, they will say the phone needs replacing.

Mobile phone insurances such as PYB can only be provided on a commercial basis, if they have got a cost effective claims service. If they were just replacing phones in most cases, either they would not offer insurance or the premiums would be much higher.

Apple on the other hand are one of the biggest profit makers in the world and will want to offer replacements in most cases, to increase profits.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Not sure I understand how a phone could fall into the toilet ?

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Ash-PYB,

You can see the circumstances of my concern in my OP. I had forgotten about the water damage, so when the phone started to fail, I contacted Apple Customer Services as I thought that it was an issue that could bet resolved though some sort of reset.

I tried all of the rest procedures, including a complete erase and re-install, which was when the phone completely shut down. I took it to an Apple Store, when the tech guy opened it up and showed me that it was severely water damaged ( the water damage indicators had been triggered ).

I then remembered about the phone falling into the toilet, so I asked if it could be repaired. The tech guy said that Apple do not recommend that water damaged phones be repaired, as its like a ticking time bomb. I asked what they usually do in these circumstances. He told me that they offer a service exchange for £229. I called PYB, who to ask if I could pay the £229 for the service exchange and get hit reimbursed from PYB at a later date. The advisor said no. The phone had to be sent away to be repaired.

I told her what the Apple tech guy said, to which she replied by saying that all Apple want to do is sell me another phone. I was shocked at this comment, as this solution would get me up and running again, which minimal delays, where as Ive been without my phone for a week now and possibly longer as I may not be happy with the repair or find a fault with it in the coming days, weeks or months.

Surely, the cost difference is that much between the £229 that Apple get for the service replacement as opposed to what A Novo are charging to repair my seemingly terminated phone?

It would be interesting to see what they've charged, to see what price PYB put on their customers satisfaction?

Many thanks

EOS-5D

Can you please send me an email with your policy / claim number and I can investigate this .

Ash(at)protectyourbubble(dot)com.

Kind Regards

Ash

Protect Your Bubble

Resolved then EOS-5D

I will amend your thread title to reflect the outcome...many thanks to Ash. also for offering to try to resolve this.

Regards

Andyorch

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread