BankFodder BankFodder

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1563 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

It seems that Brighthouse or a company sending spam emails claiming to be them are using my email address.

I've reported my own email to Hotmail for phishing and "my friend's been hacked and nothing's being done.

I've changed my password and sign in each time but today I got one claiming to be from Brighthouse.

Obviously having reported it, Hotmail have deleted the original but I took a screenshot first.

Do BH know that companies are using their name in this way and has anyone else seen one?

I'll happily forward my screenshot to any admins but at the moment it has my full name and email address on it so I'm wary.

I'm lost on this one.

..and it's not just appearing as my address. I've tried to block it but a message tells me I can't block my own address.

This might need to be moved to an email topic but for now I'm leaving it here. Feel free to move. It seems that Brighthouse or a company sending spam emails claiming to be them are using my email address.

I've reported my own email to Hotmail for phishing and "my friend's been hacked and nothing's being done. I've changed my password and sign in each time but today I got one claiming to be from Brighthouse. Obviously having reported it, Hotmail have deleted the original but I took a screenshot first.

Do BH know that companies are using their name in this way and has anyone else seen one?

I'll happily forward my screenshot to any admins but at the moment it has my full name and email address on it so I'm wary.

I'm lost on this one.

Strange. I get generic fake emails claiming to be from different companies, but never with name and address.

Has someone got hold of your name, address and email address, which they are using to try to get you thinking you have a problem, to see if they can fool you into giving them more information. Be wary of any emails or phone calls asking for info.

I would not worry too much, but keep an eye out. Check Bank and credit card statements more closely. Perhaps check your credit records, to make sure it looks all ok.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Only name and email address. I got my credit record over the weekend and nothing suspicious. I looked on a website mentioned on Rip Off Britain about hacking and it seems that my email address is being bought/sold although the website doesn't say a lot. Just gives my name and a very old address (12 years since I lived there).

Hotmail aren't taking this seriously but up until now the company names associated haven't been familiar.

I get emails with name and email address, claiming to be from various companies. The info gets sold on by marketing companies, often the ones that handle competition entries.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Good Morning Fuzzgin,

Thank you for posting and making me aware of these emails.

In order for me to look into the situation, please can you provide me with as much detail as possible.

I have logged a case file for you on our system under the reference 234707 so this can be investigated.

Please include your details and if you still have the screenshots and do not mind sending them to me that would be great.

The email address is customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk.

Please include the reference number in the subject so I am able to locate the email with ease.

Many thanks

Jason

Web relations

Sent as requested.

Morning Fuzzgin,

Thank you for sending the information.

I can confirm the email has been received and sent to the correct department to be looked into.

Once I have some more information, I will be sure to let you know.

If you need anything else in the meantime, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Jason

Web Relations

Any outcome?

Good Morning Fuzzgin,

Thank you for getting back in touch.

We can confirm that since we received your feedback we have now managed to resolve this matter and that steps have been taken to ensure that all emails display the correct sender information to avoid any potential confusion.

We can also advise that your email address has not been affected in any way and will still be safe and secure to use.

If you still have any concerns, please contact our Customer Relations Team on 0800 526 069 quoting your reference 234707 or email us at customer.relations@brighthouse.co.uk and we would be happy to help you.

We apologise for any confusion and thank you for raising this to our attention.

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team

FYI, anyone can send an email pretending to be from anyone else. I could send you an email right now from bill@microsoft.com if I wanted to. It's just the way email sending works. Most mail servers will check to verify that it is coming from a legit source, but some don't and those get through. They simply send an email from your email address to catch your attention.