Carers - I feel many are worried and stressed. Under pressure.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2718 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just opening a thread on Carers.

What benefits they can get.

How earning a small wage can effect them,anything really about carers.

What troubles they face.

Where they can find help and where.

What charities will help them with things they may need.For the people they care for.

Whether a unpaid carer or paid carer.

Maybe you are a charity and see many things and help so many.Good on you.

Whether a Carer who is employed by a company and shoots round all over the towns and cities,

what pressures you or they face.

Does the company you work for treat you well.

What pressure are you under.

Too much paperwork do you feel.

Do you think you are doing things you are not really trained for.

Anything you want to say feel free.

I personally have just finished helping someone care for someone and saw how hard it could be.

Made a few observations in the little time i cared for someone.

And wondered how it really is all over Great Britain.For the Carers in our communities.

So soon i will find articles.

Just wanted the thread out there.

Another thought out of a cluttered mind.

Are you a carer

.How old are you.

I believe many carers are young,some are pensioners i believe.

What is lacking do you feel.If anything.

The population is getting older,many more carers may be needed.

Have your say.

The Country would be lost without them of that i am sure.

If you are outside looking in just register and have your say.We are a friendly lot.

There you are.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

Well here is the link to Carers Allowance.To start things off.

Overview

Carer’s Allowance is £62.10 a week to help you look after someone with substantial caring needs.

You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You must be 16 or over and spend at least 35 hours a week caring for them.

Carer’s Allowance is taxable. It can also affect your other benefits.

The link.

https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/overview

Here is another link from Carers UK.

Making Life Easier For Carers.

Help with benefits

Working out what benefits or tax credits you might be entitled to can feel like a battle. Having the right information and support can make a huge difference.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits

Well here is a interesting one.For unpaid carers in Scotland-Northern Ireland And Wales it seems.

New charity finds many unpaid carers battle for years without help

Many unpaid carers struggle on for years looking after sick or disabled family members or friends without help, according to research from the new leading carers’ charity Carers Trust.

The Link.

http://www.carers.org/press-release/new-charity-finds-many-unpaid-carers-battle-years-without-help

Talk to us

Every day we hear from people who need help with looking after a friend or family member.

Caring can present all kinds of challenges, from filling in forms to coping with emotions. We're here for you with advice, information and support every step of the way, from the Carers UK Adviceline to our online forum.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

Interesting.

This short story presents a picture of the provision of unpaid care in England and Wales in 2011, with an overview of key findings at regional and local authority level and by area deprivation groupings. This story is also accompanied by interactive maps and video podcast.

The Link.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/census/2011-census-analysis/provision-of-unpaid-care-in-england-and-wales--2011/art-provision-of-unpaid-care.html

1 in 10 of the UK adult population being likely to have an unpaid caring role - that this number is made up of individual carers. Everyone featured in the video is an unpaid Carer known to Carers

Well the thread is underway now.

I hope many will say a few things.

Feeling this is important to many out there.

Perhaps feeling alone at times.Wondering many things.Young and old.

And i will find many more articles as time goes by.

Bye for now

Tawnyowl.

Some info on DLA.

Note: In England, Wales and Scotland people aged 16-64 can no longer make a new claim for DLA, as it is being gradually replaced by a new benefit called Personal Independence Payment (PIP). If you are 65 years of age or over, you should instead claim a benefit called Attendance Allowance.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) is a state benefit that helps with the extra costs of long-term illness or disability, which can be either physical and/or mental.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/disability-living-allowance

Some info on PIP

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

https://www.gov.uk/pip/how-to-claim

Some info on Attendance allowance.

https://www.gov.uk/attendance-allowance/overview

What pays the most..

The SDP is about £60, paid to a person who is in receipt of a means tested benefit designed to replace income (ESA, IS). A claimant qualifies for an SDP if they receive certain components of DLA/PIP, live alone (roughly, there are exceptions to this) and no-one receives CA for caring for them. So CA is paid to the carer, and the SDP is paid to the caree. CA is also about £60 per week. So if the carer starts receiving CA the caree will stop receiving an SDP.

As a general note, a person who is unable to work because they spend their time providing care (over 35 hours per week) to another person may also be eligible to receive Income Support on that basis.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

And to the thread in general, it's my view that carers are treated shockingly in this country. We have become obsessed with the idea that if you're not earning money, you are societally worthless. Yet the work carers do is exhausting, stressful and totally essential to the maintenance of society.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Just a quick post.I will be putting much more down about Carers and the people they care for.As time goes on.

Could you check the people who are being cared for.Perhaps your relatives or anyone you know who is being cared for really.

Whether they get all the benefits they are entitled to.

I came across a person lately who was old.

Who seemed to be struggling financially.Yet another person who was in similar circumstances was managing.

When finally looking at things it was discovered that the person had got confused way back when.Many years ago.

And was only claiming the high rate of mobility allowance not any rate of DLA Care Component.

If entitled you must make sure they get both.

They had missed out on the high rate of Care Component for many years.Which was over 80.00 a week.

When asked they had thought the mobility part was the only money they had been entitled to.

And had really struggled for many years.Over 17 years in fact.

And had had to find ways to survive in ways that would bring tears to your eyes.

Which if you look at things in a relative way was a loss of over 60,000 pounds over that period.

By the time the Carer realised and finally things were looked into and sorted out only three months relief came for that person before they went to the other side.

How did the Carer realise you may wonder.Well the person who wanted to be a Carer applied for Carers allowance and was turned down due to the fact the person was not on any care component part of DLA.

Then things finally clicked.

And as you know you can not have it backdated very far.Only from the date you claim.

I believe now the DWP Are doing reviews more regularly now but will check on that.

6 Million people in the UK are carers.

Carers save the UK Economy 119 Billion pounds every year.

70% of older carers experience a huge impact on their own health.

58% of Carers are women.

42% men.

Over 1 million people care for more than one person.

Every day 6,000 people take on a caring roll.

Within a year or so the number of people needing care will outstrip those able to provide that care.

antone.

And to the thread in general, it's my view that carers are treated shockingly in this country. We have become obsessed with the idea that if you're not earning money, you are societally worthless. Yet the work carers do is exhausting, stressful and totally essential to the maintenance of society.

I feel you have hit the nail on the head.

I assure you much more is coming.I am learning as i go and will post all the help and advice i can find for Carers.

See how perhaps some of the stress and exhaustion can be helped in some way.

Even if only for a hour,a day,a week.

For paid or unpaid Carers.

If one in ten people are caring for someone i feel many in their local community perhaps do not even know they are doing this vital service.

Carers do not seem to run around saying what they do.It seems to be done quietly,without much fuss.

They just get on with it it seems.

Why do carers need support?

http://www.carers.org/why-do-carers-need-support

Carers' stories

Throughout the UK it is estimated that one in eight people carry out an unpaid caring role. Here are a selection of personal stories of people sharing their experiences of looking after a loved-one. These carers receive support from the Network Partners of Carers Trust.

http://www.carers.org/carers-stories

The increasing rationing of state funded care, as councils attempted to slash costs, has left growing numbers of elderly people without access to the care system.

In turn it has forced millions of family members to step in, many of them giving up their own jobs.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11276246/Census-care-home-study-exposes-how-elderly-are-shut-out-of-system.html

Seems like Charities are doing a lot to help Carers.

What does the government do and local councils do to help carers.I will look around and see what they do.

As and when time allows.Unless someone who knows such things posts.

More help for carers in Bradford after charity wins £10,000 grant

http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/13902224.More_help_for_carers_in_Bradford_after_charity_wins___10_000_grant/

Interesting.

I believe in Parliament today there is going to be a debate on free parking for carers who use the hospital car parks.

Julie Cooper MP wants to introduce new legislation to Parliament which would exempt carers entitled to Carer's Allowance from NHS hospital car parking charges in England. Julie has an opportunity to raise this issue in Parliament through a Private Members’ Bill which will be debated in the House of Commons on 30 October 2015.

We know that hospital car parking is a big issue for many carers. Visiting hospital with someone you care for is tough enough, without the stress of having to renew the parking ticket, the time it takes, and even just having the right change, not to mention the cost which can run into hundreds of pounds each year.

Some info.I am sure this will succeed,surely.

Carers allowance perhaps 62.00 a week.You do not want one penny of that going on car parking charges at hospitals.

http://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/campaigns/hospital-car-parking

A BBC news report.

Debate over hospital parking charges for carers

A bill to exempt carers from paying hospital car parking charges will be debated in the House of Commons later.

The level of charges varies between hospital NHS trusts, but the average cost in England is £39 per week and in London it can be about £130 per week.

Labour MP Julie Cooper, who introduced the bill, says the charges are an "unfair burden" on carers.

She says she has cross-party support, but the government has not yet said whether it will back it.

The exemption would apply to NHS hospitals, walk-in centres, GP practices and private hospitals.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34674272

The Debate said it started at 9-30am but you can watch from the beginning.Which seems to be-

09:46:51 just go back to that time on the link.

Julie Cooper MP (Burnley, Labour) starts things off.

Legislation: Hospital Parking Charges (Exemption for Carers) Bill - 2nd reading

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/72f69d56-f35e-43ac-b847-668d023a6309

Guidance

NHS patient, visitor and staff car parking principles

Updated 29 October 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles/nhs-patient-visitor-and-staff-car-parking-principles

NHS organisations should work with their patients and staff, local authorities and public transport providers to make sure that users can get to the site (and park if necessary) as safely, conveniently and economically as possible.1

Charges should be reasonable for the area.

Concessions, including free or reduced charges or caps, should be available for the following groups:

•disabled people

•frequent outpatient attenders

•visitors with relatives who are gravely ill, or carers of such people

•visitors to relatives who have an extended stay in hospital, or carers of such people

•carers of people in the above groups where appropriate

•staff working shifts that mean public transport cannot be used

Other concessions, eg for volunteers or staff who car-share, should be considered locally.

Seems to me to be a waste of a Private Member's Bill if carers are already covered within the Guidance issued by the NHS/Government ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

An article from 2014

Hospitals in England have been told to cut the cost of parking for certain groups under new government guidelines.

Ministers said relatives of people who were seriously ill or had to stay in hospital for a long time should be given free parking or reduced charges.

Concessions should also be offered to people with disabilities and NHS staff whose shift patterns meant they could not use public transport, they said.

Labour accused the coalition of dropping plans to scrap the charges.

For the full story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28905695

Interesting article which includes a chart showing how the parking charges vary per week.. from £11.00 at an East Midlands Hospital to £131.50 at a London Hospital.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2683772/Revealed-How-rip-car-parks-making-hospitals-millions.html

^^^^^^

Another article on how much money is made by hospital car parking..

I find it quite strange that this article points out that the Trust isn't actually benefitting from the parking fees.. it is all going to a private firm.

The trusts argue that the vast majority of the revenue goes to cover the running costs of the car parks. Leicester NHS Trust admits they have a surplus, but they say this goes towards covering some, but 'by no means all', of the work to improve the car parks at each of their three hospitals.

Southampton University Hospital NHS Trust says its £3.4 million revenue is due to the sheer number of people using the car park and not the hourly rate, which they say is 'comparable' to other hospitals.

Yet we discovered that people parking in Notting Hill, one of London's most expensive shopping areas, pay less per hour than patients who have to park at hospitals in the countryside.

You might expect London hospitals to charge more, but some of those with the highest rate for an hour are based in Hereford, Suffolk and Norfolk, which all charge around £3 for any stay longer than 15 minutes. An hour at Wye Valley NHS Trust Hospital will cost £3.50.

Frustratingly for patients there, the car parking revenue isn't even going back to the Trust - it's going to a private firm.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2683772/Revealed-How-rip-car-parks-making-hospitals-millions.html#ixzz3q4TQRAcc

Below a chart showing how much income is generated for hospitals who charge for parking

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60055[/ATTACH]

BCOBS

Hi citizenB

I am going to read your posts very carefully.Thanks for posting these articles.

I feel you have been researching hard.

Very interesting.

A quick look at the latest news i can find.

Hospital parking: Minister urges discounts for carers

The government has encouraged hospitals to offer discounted parking for carers as it rejected a bid to change the law.

Labour MP Julie Cooper's bill to exempt carers from parking charges was stymied- by Tory MPS and is unlikely to become law.

I have to say i had not heard this word STYMIED before and had to look it up.

Prevent or hinder the progress of.

One thing that i have never been keen on and seen a good few times is what is known as filibustering by some MPS.

Mr Burt and backbench Conservative MPs made lengthy speeches in an attempt to kill Ms Cooper's bill by using up the Commons time allotted to it, a tactic known as filibustering.

To act in an obstructive manner in a legislative assembly, especially by speaking at inordinate length.

Usually to spoil a vote,run out of time allocated as i saw on the Payday Loan fiasco at times.

Really winds you up when you see it happen.

In fact in all seriousness at one time i was tempted to throw my television through the window i was so roused.

And i have to say it was Tory MPS who did it then to spoil a vote on regulation then.

It has to be said.Because it is true.

In my opinion they are not making many friends by acting this way.

Philip Davies, who spoke for 90 minutes, said Labour MP Julie Cooper's bill was "unnecessary" and his colleague, David Nuttall, warned it could divert money away from frontline NHS services.

Conservative MP Christopher Chope extended the Tory filibuster by more than 30 minutes with his speech saying the Labour MP's plan would be difficult to police.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34674272

Shameless Tory Philip Davies drones on for 90 MINUTES to stop carers getting free hospital parking

Philip Davies drained valuable Commons time for so long there was no time to vote on a Labour backbencher's passionate campaign.

A comment from someone.

Bloody carers. Working 24/7 saving the country Billions and wanting to save a few quid. Have they no shame?

"People all round the country who watched that debate will be disgusted - particularly carers.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shameless-tory-philip-davies-drones-6735548

Carers not defeated by outcome of Parliamentary debate on hospital parking charges as Department of Health strengthens support for carers

Today, a Bill to exempt unpaid carers from having to pay hospital car parking charges in England was debated in the House of Commons.

The Bill put forward by Julie Cooper, Labour MP for Burnley, called for unpaid carers who are eligible for Carer’s Allowance to be exempted from hospital parking charges in England.

The Bill failed to win enough support in the House of Commons today to progress to its next stage, making it almost impossible for it to become law.

http://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/press-releases/carers-not-defeated-by-outcome-of-parliamentary-debate-on-hospital-parking-charges-as-department-of-health-strengthens-support-for-carers

Last thing for myself on this disappointing day for Carers

I wonder who this is saying I pledge to speak up for Carers in Parliament.

Yes you guessed right Philip Davies.

2d85oo1.jpg

Local MP Philip Davies pledges support to carers in the Shipley constituency for Carers Week 2015

http://www.philip-davies.org.uk/news/local-mp-philip-davies-pledges-support-carers-shipley-constituency-carers-week-2015

Tory MP Philip Davies speaks for 90 minutes to stop carers getting free hospital parking

Mr Davies MP spoke for 90 minutes, meaning MPs were unable to vote

Sorry Nystagmite i missed your post.

Why would that just be those on carers allowance? Surely it should be all carers?

It would have included anyone who can claim Carers Allowance

A link for those that want to know more.

http://www.carersuk.org/files/helpandadvice/71/factsheet-uk1025--carers-allowance-2015-16.pdf

I did not really expect this to come up in the first week of opening a thread about Carers.

A touch intense.Media and Twitter are going hopping mad tonight about this.

And many important people are none to happy as well.

Almost 6 in 10 (59%) carers in England say that their local hospital is not carer-friendly, as it fails to recognise and support them in their caring role.

Much more on the link.

Scrap hospital parking charges for carers or risk serious impact on NHS – warns campaign

https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/news/scrap-hospital-parking-charges-for-carers-or-risk-serious-impact-on-nhs-warns-campaign

Last one tonight.22-37pm

Tory MP Philip Davies slammed by fuming carer for "abusing" his position to block hospital parking bill

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/tory-mp-philip-davies-slammed-6737444

Just as it seems Carers need more support than ever before with the population aging.Costs seem to be being slashed and looks like many perhaps are being put at risk.

Modern Britain under this government seems to be going backwards for the vulnerable in society.

I try to be unbiased so what is the answer.

Who can answer this.Before the possibility of overwhelming problems surfacing.

One thing that i have never been keen on and seen a good few times is what is known as filibustering by some MPS.

Mr Burt and backbench Conservative MPs made lengthy speeches in an attempt to kill Ms Cooper's bill by using up the Commons time allotted to it, a tactic known as filibustering.

To act in an obstructive manner in a legislative assembly, especially by speaking at inordinate length.

Usually to spoil a vote, run out of time allocated as i saw on the payday loan fiasco at times.

Really winds you up when you see it happen.

I agree, this is a shameful action and apparently it happens quite frequently.

BCOBS

Well after 35 years + in the building game I've had to shelve the trowel and hang up the hard hat !!!!

My Mum has dementia which my Dad has been trying to "hide" for 4 years since I noticed it.

My Dad has cancer and I've taken him to all the chemo sessions for the last 6 months. .......... Hence my lack of input on this site.

So I've become a full time carer in the last 6 months spending 5 days "on site" as I used too say, and 2 at home.

Dad has only "months" left. .............. Mean while I have got my "Mum" muttering and whispering under her breath but I can hear it.

"Wish he would just go back in to hospital and die"

"Sick of his voice"

"Just keeps prattling on"

The list is endless. Most aimed at me but a lot aimed at my Dad.

I honestly "stereotyped" carers as having an "easy" life. ........... How wrong was I.

The toughest gig mentally I've ever dealt with ........... Trust me I've had some tough ones !!

I now respect everyone in the "care" industry. I start at 07.45 and finish at 22.00.

A thank less job as far as "Mum" is concerned ... Di sing me and Dad out by the minute, but then Dad is so great full for the help.

My advice to any one in this situation. ............ Keep moving forward. I'am like a "Sherman Tank" Trust me !!!!!!!

f16, for what it's worth, you have my support. I'm just some random internet bloke, so that's not particularly consequential but still, you're doing a job that has economic value and that most people would hate to attempt. I wish you the best.

Hi f16

You are clearly going through a hard time.

I hope you are having some Carers helping in some way.Perhaps in the morning or evening.

Even if only for half a hour.

Was in the building trade myself for over thirty years and helped care for one person with Dementia and other major problems.

With Dementia you have to keep watch 24 hours a day we found.

Not their fault but can tire you so much

And other things that happen that i do not want to talk about here.

For about six months.Harder than any job i had been on,mentally and physically,a 24 hour job.

I have heard people talk at times like your mum about going into hospital and the rest.

As you say be like a Sherman Tank.

Trouble is you can only go on so long before it effects you.

I hope you have some kind of help at times.

Perhaps some respite for yourself.There will be help available in your area.

You must if not already ask for it.

Especially as time goes by.And things progress.

Best wishes any problems chat away on here if you feel lonely at times.

Tawnyowl.

antone and tawnyowl,

Thank you for you kind words

I've found a very good care firm in West Sussex who are very accommodating and I can not fault them ( I know I can not name them because of Site rules)

We have contacted McMillen nurses and the local hospice but Dads wishes are to die at home but with my "Mother" wandering about muttering and the constant stream of swear words interjected into every sentence, I'm not sure this is going to be best for him !!

You are correct tawnyowl on all of you post above:

"Lonely" very true. My mind is consumed with removing "triggers" as far as "Mum" goes.

Hiding veg in the garage because she will start cooking it at 10.00 hrs.

Or news papers because she will try to light a wood burner.

"Before it effects me". .......... Trust me on this one. ......... Plenty and I do mean plenty of fuel in the tank and ammo in back up.

If the Site Team feel I've "hijacked" this thread and I'm detracting from tawnyowl's original objective then do feel free to move me.

Regards to all F16

Hi F16

This thread is for Carers as you yourself are ,to come on tell us their experiences as you have in a open manner.

Many must be stressed and tired and going through a lot.

Just want people to know what many are going through,to see how vital Carers are to the country.

And if some come on in need of help we can hopefully point them in the right direction in their local communities.

The thread was opened for anything that anyone wants to say.About Caring in any way.

And yours mentioning Dementia i myself had never dealt with before and really only believed we coped with it pretty well because of our ages.

Hard to say things that happened but Caring arrived so quickly for us with no experience that the help that was arriving,the person passed to the other side.

Well i usually manage to put down in words pretty well but finding it impossible to do this time.So will leave it there.

It is not that i am upset it is just the complexity of illnesses that can overcome you almost at times.A 24 hour job that leaves nothing else in your life.No time.

And with the population aging fast you feel there may be problems that may arrive soon if more help is not given.

How can you cut costs when the population is aging so fast.

Does not make any sense to myself.

So anyone wants to post anything at all feel free.

I will mix it up with articles and news for carers from time to time.

What is it like out there in Great Britain for Carers.Of all ages.

And just in case.Many must have things to say.

If you are outside looking in just register and have your say.We are a friendly lot.

There you are.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/register.php

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl

A few articles for the carers out there.

MSPs raise concerns about carer support plans

She told how some carers are forced to "cope in circumstances that are often difficult to comprehend", adding she had heard from people who "are at breaking point, collapsing from the stress and exhaustion of caring yet receive no support".

Labour's Rhoda Grant and Nanette Milne of the Scottish Conservatives both spoke out as MSPs debated the Carers (Scotland) Bill.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/homenews/13948610.MSPs_raise_concerns_about_carer_support_plans/

Cambridgeshire charity reaches out to ‘hidden’ family carers

In the county, there are 7,500 carers known to the charity and who get support in some way, but there could be more than 78,000 people acting as carers who do not get any help.

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cambridgeshire-charity-reaches-8216-hidden-8217/story-28099908-detail/story.html

Let’s make sure everyone’s clear about carers (=unpaid) Vs care workers (=paid)

http://www.carers.org/what-carer

How does Carers.org support carers?

Carers Trust provides 24-hour access to information, advice and peer support for carers wherever they live in the UK, via our online community of carers. The discussion boards, blogs and chat room give carers the opportunity to share experiences, seek advice and meet others in a similar position.

Our online support team are also on hand to answer carers' enquiries via [email protected]

This website provides carers with a wealth of relevant information via our help directory, details of all our local Carers’ Centres around the UK and access to information on local services and events.

Where can young carers go for online support?

Babble is an online community where young carers under 18 can find others in a similar position, chat, have fun, share experiences and access information and support online from an expert team.

Babble is supervised by a team of qualified youth, community and social workers, who are on hand to provide expert advice in a friendly, safe environment. They provide support via chats, posts, confidential email or Q&A.

Link-

https://babble.carers.org/about-babble

Tory Philip Davies claimed parking on expenses before blocking free hospital parking for carers -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/shameless-tory-philip-davies-claimed-6746007

John's Campaign – 100 hospitals sign up to welcome carers

The list keeps growing as more hospitals encourage carers to stay with their loved ones

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jul/25/johns-campaign-listing-hospitals-that-welcome-carers

Having the right information at the right time can make a huge difference when you are looking after someone. This year Carers Rights Day is taking place on Friday 20 November 2015.

Each year we hold Carers Rights Day to bring organisations across the UK together to help carers in their local community find out about their rights and how to get the help and support they are entitled to.

https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/campaigns/carers-rights-day

Some women have advanced as professionals and politicians, but many more are struggling to keep ourselves and our loved ones afloat.

“Society cannot survive without caring, yet carers are undermined not supported.”

Internationally also, women are still the poorer sex, doing two-thirds of the world’s work, including growing most of their families’ food. We remain the primary carers everywhere: for children and for sick, disabled and elderly people, within the family and outside, in war as in peace. In 90 per cent of UK families the primary carer is a woman. Seventy-nine per cent of austerity cuts have targeted women – that is, carers and those we care for. While the 1 per cent more than doubled their income in the last 10 years, and the arms trade has grown by 22 per cent, one billion children worldwide live in poverty, 3.7m in the UK and 176,565 surviving on food banks. Society cannot survive without caring, yet carers are undermined not supported.

Link

http://www.bigissuenorth.com/2015/11/why-dont-we-just-pay-a-living-wage-to-mothers-and-other-carers/15383

Highland care services at breaking-point claims trade union

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/news/inverness/727513/homecare-crisis-claims-union/

f16, for what it's worth, you have my support. I'm just some random internet bloke, so that's not particularly consequential but still, you're doing a job that has economic value and that most people would hate to attempt. I wish you the best.

seconded.

So very sorry to hear about your parents, f16.

BCOBS

seconded.

So very sorry to hear about your parents, f16.

Thank you CB

I've all ways found the advice and support on CAG to be second too none and I've tried to advise on subjects along those lines.

At first I was trying to "reason" with Mum....... But you can't.

I was ending up in confrontation . ..... A very bad move.

You are better off "agreeing" with their incorrect statement or comment and then change the subject. ...... Why ??

Because dementia patience short term memory is very short (5 - 6 minutes).

When "tested" my Mum scored 11 out of 30.

She knew her name, but not her date of birth or address but did know she was in England

Dementia was described to me in a way that I think might help others.

Imagine a very tall bookcase. ........Let's say it is 30 feet tall with shelves at every foot. So 30 shelves.

On the top shelf are all the newest memories and on the bottom shelf are the oldest memories.

Now you have to imagine the memories from the top shelf falling into the second and third shelves and so on down the 30 shelves.

This process is carrying on daily until the whole "bookcase" becomes a complete "jumble"

For instance: I said to Mum. "Those are nice shoes". and she replied with. "Yes my Dad got me these when I was 6".

Yet I know I'm looking at a style of shoe from the last 10 years. (If I could find a pair of shoes that would last my Wife 80 years someone tell me where !!!!!!! ) :-D :-D :lol:

I hope this helps someone