Xercise4less - cancellation after the initial term - admin fees

jknemma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3097 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Good morning,

I originally joined xercise4less in January 14 after a phone call from a sales person. I was reluctant but they talked me round by offering two months for free & £9.99 a month there after. Even though the gym was 18 miles from my home I niaevely agreed to become a member.

I didn't/haven't used the facilities once & in February I emailed the operations manager asking to cancel my membership but received no reply. I left it until April and sent another request to cancel via but again didn't get a response. In September I noticed they were still taking the amount so I cancelled by direct debit.

Now I am receiving threatening letters saying I owe £69:98 with x2 £25 'admin' charges and the threat of court.

I've rang xercise4less but been told the manager isn't available - I've emailed the operations manager again and haven't gotten a response (I see a pattern here) however when I messaged them publicly on Twitter they responded (funny that!) but in their DM they have simply said "Sorry however unfortunately you cannot cancel your membership via email unless you have this agreed by the operations manager - do you have this indicated in your emails"

I replied stating that I hadn't received a reply and asked how they could resolve the matter but they have not responded.

I'm not sure why an email won't suffice when the only contract I've received was via email and I haven't signed anything from them. In fact the only letters I have received were from Harlands threatening me and charging me x2 £25.

Do you have any advice for me - I can't have a CCJ against me because of my employment.

They have no responded saying that "unfortunately in this instance you will need to pay the cancellations charges - what is your contact number so a member of the membership team can contact you?" I feel this is completely unfair - howe should I respond.

woe slow down

if you search here you'll find that's exactly the way they operate

in that they never ack your cancellation.

you cancelled end of tough luck on them.

shame they got all that money out of you for doing nothing.

now they want more HAHAHA.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

It's a joke isn't it? I've offered to pay September and October membership fees of £9.99 if they will cancel my membership and consider the matter resolved. I'll let you know what they say.

Yes you are going to have to to see if you can work something out to release you from that contract

Were you over 18 when you took out the contract as you mention being a student?

They will hit you with a CCJ for the entire contract length. With Gym membershp that is normally 24 months

Gyms don't do ccj anymore they lost the last one

Wait for slick132 to advise before you do anything more

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Jk and welcome to CAG

Yes you are going to have to to see if you can work something out to release you from that contract

Were you over 18 when you took out the contract as you mention being a student?

They will hit you with a CCJ for the entire contract length. With Gym membershp that is normally 24 months

I suggest you ignore OD's opinion above as it's fundamentally wrong.

I suspect your initial agreement was for 12 months as that's the usual term with £9.99 monthly fees at X4Less. If the agrement was for 24 month's it would be unenforceable following the case of The OFT v AMSL in 2011.

The chance of any CCJ arising from this is absolutely minimal. Despite what Harlands/CRS threaten in their demands, they avoid court action because they know they don't have solid grounds to litigate.

In your 1st post, you say you emailed the gym in February. Please confirm you mean Feb 2015.

The gym is wrong to say you can't cancel by email. They can't refuse a cancellation because you didn't use their normal form.

Depending on what you tell us, one option may be for you to seek a refund of all DD's paid after you emailed to cancel (plus one month). This can be done using the DD Guarantee Scheme via your bank and several CAGgers have done this in the past.

1. Do you still have a copy of the email sent to the Ops Mgr.

2. What date was the email sent.

3. On what date did you pay your 12th gym fee.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Ah gutted, I wish I had waited for your reply but unfortunately I buckled and called them & paid £39.98 X2 monthly fees of £9.99 and a £20 admin charge with the assurance that that was the matter resolved. I guess I just didn't want it hanging over my head.

In answer to your questions;

Yes it was 12/02/15 that the email was sent, I have kept copies & my 12 monthly payment was on 15/03/15! I also emailed again on 09/04/15.

kicking myself now, feel as though they've won.

I will contact my bank regarding DD scheme.

Edited by jknemma
Didn't read full response as reading via phone

Yes, it is a real shame you were unable to wait for slick to respond as you were provided with very bad advice by OD :(

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Let us look at this objectively before any more character assanations

The judge concluded that a contract was unfair if it ran for longer than 12 months and did not allow the consumer to cancel with 30 days' notice and a moderate penalty

1. A Gym can have a contract of more than 12 months but must have a cancelation clause after the first 12 months, normally a months notice

2. In this case it is a 12 months contract

3. The op started the Gym in January 2015 under contract

4. That contract will end January 2016

5. You cannot cancel the agreement in the first 12 months as you are under contract (CCA 1974) unless a medical issue etc presents itself without penalty (Cancellation charges)

6. The notion they cannot enforce that agreement within the first 12 months of contract with a CCJ is nonsense

Edited by obiter dictum

Then yes you can cancel without penalty

The problem that you have is that you received no official notice of that cancellation request from xerciseforless or the finance company. (Did you)

If you have proof via an email or recorded delivery of your request to cancel then you will be fine.

Without that they will simply carry on with your contract as normal, or simply roll over your contract at the end of the contractual term until cancelled in writing.

The same as a mobile phone contract

The onus would have been on you to confirm cancellation if you never received confirmation back

At the moment you are still liable for those cancellation charges unless you can prove to the contrary

The moral of the story is always have a paper trail you can refer back to

I would think you will be able to claim back those Harlands 2 x £25.00 letter charges. You will need to check that in the agreement you signed if an outside collection agency can levy such charges

Edited by obiter dictum

@ Obiter Dictum - We have been dealing with Harlands for many years and know how they operate.

You haven't helped Jk at all and have, in fact, led to them paying money to Harlands that is simply not due.

Please leave us to deal with these cases, based on our experience and knowledge.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

@ JK

Contact your bank immediately and tell them you made the payment referred to in post #10 under duress and you require it to be refunded.

Let us know how this goes and we'll take it from there.

The copy email you sent to the gym will work in your favour.

:-)