I have been claiming tax credits as single but partner lives with me.

wardrobe123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3087 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How do HMRC know whether you failed to report the change deliberately or just forgot, have they added mind-reading to their array of powers?. 'Notional offsetting ' is your friend in this very common situation. The amount of overpayment will depend upon how much your partner earns, e.g if he was on benefits you'd have got the same amount anyway so no overpayment would be due, if he's on a decent wage you will have to pay back a lot of money which TBF you weren't entitled to anyway.

If anything like tax then it will be all about questioning why the error occurred. It is then up the officer to decide based on the evidence and information provided whether something was deliberate or not.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/ccmmanual/CCM10750.htm

We have seen notional entitlement refused on many of these case recently. It all depends on the reason why it wasn't reported.

Yes of course if it was done deliberately they can refuse notional offsetting, so you'll just have to convince them that it was an oversight and you forgot to tell them.

I don't know how long you've been living together, hopefully not before 2010 when NO became available, but with your partner on both the mortgage and the electoral roll it won't be difficult for HMRC to work it out so you're best coming clean about it , stressing that it was an oversight. Beware what you say to them they record everything.

Update.

I spoke to the cab this morning, who were helpful, but didn't tell me anything I didn't know from here.

I took a deep breath and rang the number on my letter - was terrified but knew it had to be done.

I said I wanted to co operate fully and that I should have made a joint claim and wanted my current claim stopped straight away.

They have done that, and I now have to wait for them to calculate my overpayment and any penalty and decide what will happen next.

I would say to anyone in my position - pick up the phone to hmrc. The Peron I spoke to was polite and didn't give me a hard time in any way.

I still don't know what the outcome will be. Paying back a large overpayment is a definite - totally deserve.

Even though it's still very uncertain, I feel loads better having spoken to them. Should hear what happens next within next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the non judgemental support I have got here. X

Could you consider speaking to your partner too so that you can share the burden, both emotionally and financially? It's all in the open then.

Well done for facing up to this btw. As has been said, it takes guts. :)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi wardrobe123, I am in the same position as you with regard to a single tax credits claim that should have been joint. I received a letter from Compliance yesterday. I'm completely ashamed of myself and the fact that I have cheated the system and I intend to phone HMRC asap.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but, after you spoke to HMRC, did they still ask you to send in relevant documentation set out in the letter (which I have no problem doing), or did they just accept your admission without further questioning? I'm also terrified of the impact any action by HMRC will have on my career and, as my husband has no idea of the mess that I have got myself into, I'm wondering if/when to tell him.

1st step come clean asap. If it carries on then the worse It could get, also it may help you to start your own thread on this as advice may be different and then confusing this thread....

Welcome to CAG BTW

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Have either of you read this yet? https://www.gov.uk/changes-affect-tax-credits

(Last updated: 12 October 2015) Above

There are some extra links within the link above and may assist you if you read them as well. Hope it helps you out..

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Well you have decided to take the appropriate steps now so you will need to be fully frank and honest as this is the only way forward. There could be penalties due and an overpayment to be sorted but at least with this sorted you can then move on in the knowledge that everything will be as it should be and without the worry of any thing else going pear-shaped.

Are there any other benefits involved like Council Tax? If you have not made a change of circumstances to the Local Authority (LA) then please consider this as well.

Both of you need to be aware that HMRC can and do data share (covered in the link below) and may scrutinise your financial affairs in depth! Just letting you know ok...

In March this year the Government issued information regarding fraud, errors and debt you can find this here https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/417718/tackling-fraud-error-debt-benefit-tax-system.pdf

Its a worthwhile read as it covers a lot of information including errors, fraud, sanctions, recovery and much more, I hope this helps a little...