• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
    • The music streaming service reports record profits of over €1bn (£860m) after laying off 1500 staff.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I have been claiming tax credits as single but partner lives with me.

wardrobe123
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been incredible stupid and continued to claim tax credits as a single parent when my partner has lived with me for several years.

I am really ashamed and can't believe why I allowed myself to be so greedy and stupid.

I have two kids from previous relationship and one with current partner

. Current partner is on the mortgage and council tax as would not have got the house otherwise.

I think it will be virtually impossible for me to prove he hasn't lived here all the time.

The bills are in my name, but we have the mortgage and council tax in joint names.

they have sent a letter saying they are looking at April 2014-2015 and the current year.

I am beyond terrified that they will look at previous years and the overpayment will be massive as well as the fraud meaning will go to prison.

I have an appointment at the CAB tomorrow.

I want to fully admit that I was not entitled to claim for the time they have stated in their lette

r and will offer to pay back in full if they will let me _ bank loan maybe?

Should I come clean about previous years?

I am making myself sick with worry - my partner had no idea I was doing this.

Can anyone tell my what happened to them?

I can't look my children in the eye and I am convinced I will be sent to prison.

Thank you for replies.

I intend to come clean about the years they are asking about. I will try and get loans or something to pay it back.

I am so worried they will go back years - he has not always lived with me, but I will not be able to prove that.

Does anyone have any experience of what they are likely to do?

I have to respond in a couple of weeks with bank statements, mortgage statements, utility bills etc.

I am sick with worry - can't eat or even think properly.

REplies are hugely appreciated

Defiantly admit to whats happened

But do not go out and get a loan just yet, you may be able to pay back in installments based on your ability to pay.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Depends very much on if they treat it as a civil matter or turn it into a criminal matter.

What I would say is making a repayment offer & sticking to it will go in your favour but don't go taking out a loan you can't afford.

How much do you estimate the overpayment to be? Have you worked out how much you would have been entitled to had you claimed correctly?

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

I would be completely honest, declare when he did start living with you, don't let them decide this on their own. They already know something is wrong. Do not allow it to get worse but hiding the truth or lying further.

Explain your reasoning for not declaring this at the time.

Offer to make repayments at a reasonable level. I wouldn't suggest a bank loan, then you'd have interest to pay. You won't pay interest on the tax credit overpayment.

You may get a penalty on top of the overpayment.

Although criminal proceedings are possible, it's not a route they go down often.

I would be completely honest, declare when he did start living with you, don't let them decide this on their own. They already know something is wrong. Do not allow it to get worse but hiding the truth or lying further.

Explain your reasoning for not declaring this at the time.

Offer to make repayments at a reasonable level. I wouldn't suggest a bank loan, then you'd have interest to pay. You won't pay interest on the tax credit overpayment.

You may get a penalty on top of the overpayment.

Although criminal proceedings are possible, it's not a route they go down often.

Agree with every word BB has written X

Thank you for replying. I intend to be fully honest. They have only mentioned this current year and 2014 - 2015 on the letter. Do I mention previous years, or wait to be asked? He wasn't there all the time, but it would be hard to prove otherwise. I'm so worried about this, I can't function properly.

If you can manage it I would find a solicitor who will give you a free consultation (sometimes 30 mins free) .

Have they stopped your benefit of have you cancelled your claim?

It really is highly unlikely that you will go to prison especially if you make a full commitment to start repayments

Have you any idea of the amount of money you have claimed?

You want to try to avoid a conviction as a fraud conviction has implications far beyond just the actual conviction, for example household insurance - it is still available but a bit more expensive

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Thank you for replying. I intend to be fully honest. They have only mentioned this current year and 2014 - 2015 on the letter. Do I mention previous years, or wait to be asked? He wasn't there all the time, but it would be hard to prove otherwise. I'm so worried about this, I can't function properly.

As I mentioned above, you should tell them when the change actually happened.

I would advise that honesty is the best policy, and will minimise risk of being prosecuted.

If you try to pretend that your partner moved in on a later date than he actually did, and they discover you have lied, there would be a greater risk that they might prosecute you.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thank you so much to those people who replied. I'm very grateful. I have my cab appointment tomorrow, and then will ring tax credits.

I have been such an idiot and feel like my life is over.

Well, yes, you have been foolish. But you are facing up to it & looking to put right your actions. You are coming clean. Frankly that requires guts.

You will move on from this. Nothing is that bad that your life need be over.

If it's prison you are worried about, it's unlikely. Not for a first offence & not for a Mum of 3 kids.

If it's being named in the paper, well even if you go to court that's unlikely as it doesn't sound as if there is anything unusual about your case.

You will have to pay the money back & rightly so.. As for anything else, cross that bridge when you come to it. Right now you are doing the best - which is coming clean.

Let us know how you get on.

i don't know about tax credits but on council tax arrears I don't rem telling them but they sent me bill for previous years...then had to pay in instalments till what was owed was cleared I know this is different....on worrying about the tax credits issues I would not worry if I was you ... take the advice from the above posters and/per from shoe seeing shoe works in this arena.

Update.

I spoke to the cab this morning, who were helpful, but didn't tell me anything I didn't know from here.

I took a deep breath and rang the number on my letter - was terrified but knew it had to be done.

I said I wanted to co operate fully and that I should have made a joint claim and wanted my current claim stopped straight away.

They have done that, and I now have to wait for them to calculate my overpayment and any penalty and decide what will happen next.

I would say to anyone in my position - pick up the phone to hmrc. The Peron I spoke to was polite and didn't give me a hard time in any way.

I still don't know what the outcome will be. Paying back a large overpayment is a definite - totally deserve.

Even though it's still very uncertain, I feel loads better having spoken to them. Should hear what happens next within next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the non judgemental support I have got here. X

I am pleased that you have faced up to it and you have done the right thing

One of the problems I see ( and I am not blaming you) is that once you get away with it , a) It becomes more difficult to stop because it almost means that you need to admit it ,and b) you sometimes almost get to the point that you want to be caught to force you to stop.

Well done for doing the right thing and i certainly would not judge you particularly as no one will know the full details of your life

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

Can I ask. Is your partner working ?

There is such a thing as notional entitlement, which is basically. They treat your claim as tho it was a joint claim and deduct that from any overpayment.

If you would have had an entitlement anyway, depending on circumstances you could request this. This has to be done quickly though

Can I ask. Is your partner working ?

There is such a thing as notional entitlement, which is basically. They treat your claim as tho it was a joint claim and deduct that from any overpayment.

If you would have had an entitlement anyway, depending on circumstances you could request this. This has to be done quickly though

You don't get this if you deliberate fail to report the change.

Update.

I spoke to the cab this morning, who were helpful, but didn't tell me anything I didn't know from here.

I took a deep breath and rang the number on my letter - was terrified but knew it had to be done.

I said I wanted to co operate fully and that I should have made a joint claim and wanted my current claim stopped straight away.

They have done that, and I now have to wait for them to calculate my overpayment and any penalty and decide what will happen next.

I would say to anyone in my position - pick up the phone to hmrc. The Peron I spoke to was polite and didn't give me a hard time in any way.

I still don't know what the outcome will be. Paying back a large overpayment is a definite - totally deserve.

Even though it's still very uncertain, I feel loads better having spoken to them. Should hear what happens next within next couple of weeks.

Thanks again for all the non judgemental support I have got here. X

Well done you... The first step is always the worst. You can do this.

Have you estimated the overpayment yet?

The other thing you may need to consider is if your partner knew you was still claiming the benefit, if so they could go after them as well. you have done the right thing by coming clean now rather than later, this could have made the debt larger and harder to pay back.

Also you may want to remember that the Agency involved may apply to a Court for them to place an order on your home especially if you have profited from the claim. I am just pointing out what may happen, by the way did you claim a single persons allowance for your Council Tax?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

The other thing you may need to consider is if your partner knew you was still claiming the benefit, if so they could go after them as well. you have done the right thing by coming clean now rather than later, this could have made the debt larger and harder to pay back.

Also you may want to remember that the Agency involved may apply to a Court for them to place an order on your home especially if you have profited from the claim. I am just pointing out what may happen, by the way did you claim a single persons allowance for your Council Tax?

They can't because the partner would not have been able to do anything about it if he did know, he would not be able to access her record to close it down.

• Haha 1

How do HMRC know whether you failed to report the change deliberately or just forgot, have they added mind-reading to their array of powers?. 'Notional offsetting ' is your friend in this very common situation. The amount of overpayment will depend upon how much your partner earns, e.g if he was on benefits you'd have got the same amount anyway so no overpayment would be due, if he's on a decent wage you will have to pay back a lot of money which TBF you weren't entitled to anyway.