Successful soga rejection - hire purchase and negative equity

Mosstin
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3080 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I will try and keep a complicated story simple!

I saw a car I was interested in the price was 21k. The car was 9 months old and had done less than 3,000 miles

I took a reduced part exchange price for my car under pressure from the pushy salesman to get the deal done - (I would never have taken this price normally)this entailed rolling over 5k of negative equity into the new hire purchase agreement

3 months later a warning light comes on

Take it to the garage and there is unrecorded accident damage - after much time and stress and reports my claim to have the car rejected is upheld by the finance company

The independent report confirmed the car was not fit for purpose not safe to drive and a fire risk - you can imagine how scary it is that I have been driving around in this car with my family including two young children

In any event I come to my question - the finance company has asked me to repay the negative equity

I have argued that the agreement between them and I does not make reference to any negative equity - it defines the goods as the car and the cash price for the goods is the total amount including the negative equity - given the circumstances I think they should write it off - I would be grateful for any input - thanks in advance

Edited by citizenB
spacing

I will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Thanks

My complaint also upheld that they had advertised the car as one owner when it was actually two owners

They also missold a gap insurance by not providing me with the documents providing me with the right to cancel

The garage has been negligent in that they owed you a duty of care, they breached that duty of care, and you suffered a loss because of that breach

I realise this comes under Tort and individual personal contract in selling and to purchase the vehicle (SOGA) but they have been negligent and you have suffered personal loss because of that breach

Thanks

Any thoughts on the structure of the hire purchase

I would have expected a hp agreement for the cash value of the car and a separate loan agreement for any negative equity

The goods are defined as the car and the cash price is the inclusive figure - hire purchase agreement makes no reference to part exchange or negative equity

Seperate loan agreements for vehicle purchase are a no,no

For one they have to be within the 4 corners of the one agreement

There was a big stink a while ago where sub prime car finance companies were getting people to sign seperate loan agreements for the deposits. A recipie for disaster with enforcement of both agreements.

If your vehicle was taken in part exchange and listed on the new finance aghreement then the car dealership would have to get permission from the original finance company to trade in that vehicle. You cannot sell a car on finance

That then would have released you from all financial obligations as that original finance agreement (Car) would be termnated on signing the new finance agreement

Your only contractual obligation would be the terms of the new finance agreement

They cannot chase you on the negative equity of the old vehicle you traded in as that agreement has been terminated with the new finance agreement

That is how i see it anyway if it makes sense

Thank you this is how I see it just need to convince them to play ball

I have made it clear I am not going to pay it

I will continue to pay my monthly payment until settled to keep my hands clean

The finance company keeps banging on about the invoice the dealer Sent to them showing the settlement on the old car in excess of the trade in value - I don't see the relevance of this as my contract with them is the hire purchase agreement

Yep

You are only bound by the terms in that new hire purchase agreement

The previous agreeement has now been terminated with the original finance companies consent. If they have any issues their beef is with the garage that sold you the car, not with you

The finance company is sticking to their guns

Stating because the invoice from the dealer to them referred to the shortfall then I am still liable for the negative equity

They have no interest in compensating me for the fact I was driving around in a death trap or the fact I would never had accepted the part exchange price under normal circumstances

Doesn't seem fair you go into an agreement with a car then as a result of being supplied with a dangerous vehicle you are left with no car and a request to pay £5k

They back you into a corner take away the courtesy car, keep taking the payments until you crumble

Whinge over!

Thanks

Any thoughts on the structure of the hire purchase

I would have expected a hp agreement for the cash value of the car and a separate loan agreement for any negative equity

The goods are defined as the car and the cash price is the inclusive figure - hire purchase agreement makes no reference to part exchange or negative equity

It is not really negative equity because you do not own the car until the last payment. The car is purchased from the dealer by the finance company and hired to you. The sums due are the the payments left to be settled under the hp agreement.

What happens when an agreement is terminated and the car returned, is that the amount the car fetches at auction is deducted from the amount still due under the contract and you are liable for that.

You cannot part exchange because it is not your car

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

I am not 100% sure, but I would say that you owe the 5k. It would depend on what exactly you signed up to though. I'm not exactly sure how this sort of finance deal is normally structured.

As Dodgeball said, the old car would not normally belong to you until the finance is paid off. In effect the finance company agreed to lend you the deposit for the new car.

I would say that the 5k liability is really a liability under the old finance agreement rather than the new one. Returning the new car under SOGA would get you out of finance on the new car, but any liabilities you had under the old agreement could remain in place.

I don't think you can turn around and say that you only accepted a low part exchange price due to a pushy salesman. That is the salesman's job - if you accepted that price for your old car you can't now turn around and change your mind.

It is worth going through the T&Cs with a fine tooth comb though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Just a quick one

You can part exchange with the original finance companies permission as the vehicle remains their property until the final payment is made.

Though any balance up to the 50% mark will still be due if voluntary terminating the agreement. s.100 CCA 1974

Any shortfall can be claimed against the trader who sold the lemon by the borrower

(Unfair credit bargin???)

Or am i barking up the wrong tree??

You can voluntarily terminate under section 99, only if you did you would loose any rights to any credit for the value of the car, so it depends as to how much you have paid off. On VT you have to make up the difference between what you have paid to 50% of the contractual debt under the agreement pus any arrears, on a voluntary surrender you have to pay what is left on the contract but less whatever the value of the car is.

You cannot use this facility to part exchange unfortunately. Once the agreement is terminated they cannot unterminate it. You would have to have a new agreement

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

That is my understanding

In trading in the vehicle the OP has reached the 50% mark to Voluntary terminate the agreement as opposed to a voluntary surrender. That way the OP faces no further liability. He would if he has still to reach that 50% mark but you do not have to reach that 50% mark to do a VT. Any remaining obligation will be on the debtor up to the 50% mark with the finance company

That is my understanding

In trading in the vehicle the OP has reached the 50% mark to Voluntary terminate the agreement as opposed to a voluntary surrender. That way the OP faces no further liability. He would if he has still to reach that 50% mark but you do not have to reach that 50% mark to do a VT. Any remaining obligation will be on the debtor up to the 50% mark with the finance company

It is not trading in though. The car is returned to the creditor not to the dealer, they will not do a trade in.

The procedure should have been to withdraw from the agreement first under section 66a, and notify the dealer that the car wa not fit for purpose. They will then either chase you for the money, which you can defend in court or take the car back. To late in this case unfortunately.