• Tweets

• did you submit your directions
    • They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

'Xercise 4 less' issue

Smiffy15
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

the gym is actually 'Xercise 4 less'..

. i keep getting them confused....

I accidentally cancelled my DD with Harlands as it was not set up correctly within my banking,

amongst dud DD I have from eBay etc. After only hearing their name once I thought it was a dud one

.. after investigating my emails I realised who it was a tried numerous times to contact them through phone to sort it out

and as no one picked up

I have received a letter saying I owe £25 administration fee and on top of that the £10 monthly fee due by today (20th oct).

I panicked and tried ringing them again and again and no answer...

i tried emailing the email they give on their waiting tone and the emails bounced back..

. amongst this frustration

I rang the gym to explain the hassle and asked to leave the gym for that reason

and also because I sustained a knee injury from one of their employed PTs,

which caused me to take days off work, seek medical advice and have to pay for strong anti inflammatorys as I was unable to mobile with that leg.

I was told I could not cancel due to my DD problem and that I had to provide medical evidence that I can't use the gym for the whole yearly contrac

t otherwise it's not happening..

. the receptionist then said she will terminate the phone call and put the phone down.

.. what do i do?!

I refuse to pay a 25 administration fee when it did not cost them a penny to try grab my money!

Edited by Smiffy15
Spelling mistakes

own thread created

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi Smiffy and welcome to CAG

Please see the PM I've sent you and respond.

About the knee injury, is it documented by your GP and has the GP told you not to use the gym again for the foreseeable future ?

Many people complain that it's very hard to get through to Harlands. However, we suggest that you NEVER speak to them by phone. Keep everything in writing only. Speaking to them will get you absolutely nowhere.

I doubt speaking to the gym will help you either, so don't bother.

1. When did you join the gym.

2. When was the DD mandate cancelled by you or the bank.

If Harlands try calling you, just hang up.

:-)

Edited by slick132

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi.

1. I joined the gym on the 7th September and paid my first months 10 pounds and then 30 pound extra for discount PTS sessions.

2. I am not sure the exact date I cancelled the DD... it was about 2 ish weeks ago, I'd have to check with the bank.

When I went to the Dr's they explained to obviously rest the leg ect but did not say not to go back for a certain amount of time but I have personally lost the confidence within the gym to go back and haven't returned since and plan not to.

No I tried contacting the gym and I was just told I'm breaching my contract and I cannot leave under all costs, until I renew my DD with Harlands in which I don't want them to take these stupid fees out with my October's gym fee.

Edited by slick132
Numbered answers and added spacing - easier to read

Hi Smiffy,

Unless you have a GP letter about the knee, I'd ignore that for now.

You caused the original problem by cancelling the DD (because you didn't recognise the payee). But Harlands are at fault for being impossible to contact and for adding admin fees.

I think you should offer to pay Harlands the missed fee plus a further fee for a month's notice. So you'd offer to pay £29.98 but no admin fees.

Because they're greedy, I suspect they'll refuse your offer and continue to demand higher amounts. You would then tell Harlands you have no wish to continue in a contract with them when they demand unlawful penalties and pursue aggressive collection activity.

If you want to follow this suggestion, let us know and we'll help with a suitable letter.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Slick.

Thanks for the reply. Its such a simple mistake that is becoming so complicated by this company. That is a good idea. How did you calculate the £29.98? As i pay £!0 a month for the memebership. I just want to get away from this company I only ever see these problems on the likes of Watchdog, I never thought id be in a similar situation!

Many thanks

Smiffy

Edited by Smiffy15
Protect personal identity

Hi Smiffy,

Sorry, I was confusing your case with another where the fee was £14.99 per month. Your offer to Harlands will be £20.

I've reconsidered the knee injury and think it IS worth bringing into the equation. Were you diagnosed the "strong anti inflammatory" drugs, or did you just get them "over the counter".

Dear sir or madam,

Xercise4Less gym in [town or city]

My gym membership DD mandate was cancelled in error when I had to review DD's due to possible fraud. I didn't realise the Harlands DD was for the gym at the time.

I've also told the gym I cannot continue membership because I suffered a knee injury during a Personal Training Sesion and can't continue. Their attitude was rude and unhelpful.

I called Harlands repeatedly to discuss the matter but you failed to answer any of my calls. In the circumstances I am not willing to stay a member of a gym that's not supportive, or deal with Harlands who cannot even answer phone calls.

I'll pay you £20.00 to cover October's fee and one months notice notice to cancel but I won't pay £25 you want for admin fees.

I will only deal with this matter in writing and will not discuss it by phone.

Yours faithfully,

Send this to Harlands and get a free Certificate of Posating from the PO counter.

Edited by slick132
added ref to PTSession

Hi Smiffy,

Make a note of the drug's details and maybe take a photo of the bottle/packet showing the drug's name and your name on the Pharmacy label.

It'll all help !!

Hi Smiffy,

If you haven't printed the letter yet, I've amended it slightly to mention that the injury was sustained during a PT Session.

You'll have seen from other cases that Harlands/CRS do not give up easily but there will come a time to ignore them. If Zinc get called in, they back off easily when challenged.

No need to contact the gym at all.

Hi slick

That is fabulous. No I have not sent the letter yet, the newer draft would be better please!. Was going to do it tomorrow, been super busy with uni work!

I have heard of this Zinc company, hopefully it will not go that far but if so would you just approach them the same way as Harlands? Are their debt collecting procedures lawful?

Many thanks

Smiffy

Hi Smiffy,

I amended the letter above two days back, so it's ready for you to print and send.

You may hear from Zinc - that's quite possible, But they're easy to get off your back.

I saw another case earlier today where Harlands/CRS passed the account straight on to their pet solicitor Spratt Endicott, missing out Zinc. However, the response is just the same - tell the solicitor to clear off or get reported. Nothing to worry about as it's all threats and hot air.

Hi slick.

Thank you so much for the help, will send the letter today at the post office. Hopefully this does not get to stressful a situation! But will you be able to help also if it gets taken further to either zinc or their dud solicitor?

Many thanks

Smiffy15

Hi Smiffy,

We'll be here to support you, no matter what happens.

Hi Slick.

Thank you so much. I feel so grateful that i have come across this website and you have helped me out a lot. will be posting the letter in the next hour, what was the thing i needed to request from the postoffice as proof of sending?

Many Thanks

Smiffy15

Edited by Smiffy15

Take the envelope to any PO and ask for a free Certificate of Posting.

Keep it as proof of postage.

The letter has been sent, first class royal mail signed for with proof of postage and tracking. So we shall have to see how this pans out! I will keep you posted when I receive the next correspondence!

Thanks

Smiffy15

• 4 months later...

Hello again Slick.

They ignored my letter and just passed my debt onto another company and then zinc and now I'm being chased by Sprat Endicot. It says they're lawyers? and I have 7 days to inform them to set up payment but I opened the letter today and its the end of the seven days... what do you advise to do?

many thanks

Smiffy15

Hi Smiffy,

You say there was another company involved before Zinc. Was this CRS ?

Spratt Endicott are full of hot air and nothing to worry about, just the same as Zinc.

You should be reading other threads here. Then you'd already know exactly how to deal with, or ignore, Zinc and Spratts.

Reply to Spratts saying :-

I refer to your letter of xxdate.

Harlands are fully aware of why gym membership fees are in dispute and they had no right to involve yourselves.

Yet you have chosen to threaten me without ensuring Harlands have the right to make their demands.

Accordingly, if you threaten me again, you will be reported to the SRA, as well as Trading Standards and The CMA.

Get a free Cert of Posting again.