Deceased fathers car being fined!

andy92
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My father passed away in May of this year and left his car behind.

The insurance ran out in the same month.

Having very little knowledge about cars as I've never owned one and am still quite young

I phoned up the DVLA who instructed me to send them a letter explaining the situation,

that the car was being kept in private property, wasn't being driven,

and that I would inform them once a decision had been made with what to do with the car.

I did this, and

a week ago received a letter from the DVLA containing a fine for £100

telling me that if I do not pay it soon I may be prosecuted..

. I'm wondering if someone has any advice for how to deal with this?

Hi

Please be patient as its the weekend it can be quieter but I am sure the caggers will be along to help

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Considering any action will be against the registered keeper

They will have a job prosecuting and asking you late father to attend court to answer the charges

They cannot exactly prosecute you either as the car is not in your name

You just cant make this crap up, the world has gone mad

I agree, the OP has nothing to worry about. Something similar happened to me, told TV licence people my mum had died and property unoccupied. 2 weeks later got letter threatening legal action.

Considering any action will be against the registered keeper

They will have a job prosecuting and asking you late father to attend court to answer the charges

They cannot exactly prosecute you either as the car is not in your name

You just cant make this crap up, the world has gone mad

Or send DVLA a letter giving the following info:-

Angel Grabrel,

Lords Gates

Upper Above

Sanity Universe

Beyond 3rd Planet from the Sun?

sick world we live in money rules!

It is getting worse !

The Little Britain sketch 'the computers says no' sums it up. However stupid a situation is, some authorities plough on. There was a story in the press last week of a council fining a householder £550 for putting their wheelie bin out on the wrong day. Even when this was complained about, they still wanted to charge it.

At some point there will be a citizens revolt, where they group together to take action against silly practices of authorities.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

My father passed away in May of this year and left his car behind.

[...]

a week ago received a letter from the DVLA containing a fine for £100.

Two questions:

Was the letter addressed to you personally ?

Is a solicitor handling the probate ?

If a solicitor is dealing with the probate, pass the letter on to them to sort out. Alternatively, write back to the DVLA stating that the registered owner is deceased and any attempt to prosecute will be reported to the press. Enclose a copy of the death certificate and they should halt any proceedings. If the DVLA send any more letters after that, get in contact with your local MP for his/her help.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

thank you everyone for your quick replies and help. i've sent them another letter, signed for, to their sensitive case work team as suggested. i've included a photocopy of my fathers death certificate as well, so hopefully this should be enough to halt any proceedings (and with any luck receive an apology too). The letters were addressed to my father yes, and no decision has yet been made about the car, i.e. whether to sell it.