Employment problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have worked for the last 8 years or so with constant lower disc problems and constant back pain which has been diagnosed via a MRI as DDD, I recently plucked up the courage to go for a PIP assessment to which I have just received a letter back stating that I am entitled to pip payments so I have managed to reduce my hours at work, trouble is I have recently had to go off work again due to a trapped nerve and in agony, on diazepam, tramadol and co codamol and consultant said this will unfortunately keep happening as my back is so weak, all I did was cough in the shower and something in my top left buttock just went AGONY! trouble is already on a capability warning at work for time of in the past with back related problems and now off again, so I have no doubt I will now receive either a final warning or even worse get sacked! been their 15 years and never once been late, I want to work, I have literately crawled into work sometimes when I should have not been their, always done my job, but not in union, any advice please would be welcome.

Tinks

Its a shame people think unions are no good until you really need them

Has any reasonable adjustments been made by the employer to compensate for your condition

It is obvious you are covered under the Equaliy Act as a disability

How large is your employer

What has Occupational health said on the matter

Sadly, it does sound like being at work may not be the best place for your health!

Is it a very physical job?

How old are you, and are you in a company pension scheme? I ask because sometimes there is an ill health retiral option.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

It is one of the big six electric and gas suppliers, must admit they have made all the adjutants they can regarding my work station sitting and standing, but at the moment need help just even getting up, sitting down and walking feel about 93 not 53 but have my wife and 3 children to support!

Occupational health has just stated with my condition I will probably have time off when MY condition flares up, but that didn't see to cut any Ice when I had my capability hearing!

Most major employers with trade union representation have ill health retirement package, present company included

It works out rougly 34 weeks wages and in your case 15 weeks PILON

That is Pay In Lieu of Notice with any outstanding holiday entitlrment

The first 30 k is tax free

Depending on your age and prognosis you might get an immediate pension enhancement as well

Your employer will be looking at letting you go on capability grounds me thinks

Discuse your options with the rep, even if you are not a member to see if your company has an ill health retirement scheme

Thanks very much for the info you all have been very helpful, just a quick question at the moment I have reduced my hours to 20 h a week my wife works 6 hours per week, now when I spoke to dwp they said that because I now received PIP that I could reduce my hours to 16 h per week and still get family tax credit but I said 20 h would be okay, My question being is if I had to finish work could my wife work 16 h because I get PIP to still get Family tax credit or does that only apply to myself, hence would she have to 24 h per week for us to still get FTC.

Tinks

Are you in a pension scheme? It would be worth checking with the terms of the scheme regarding ill health retirement. Older schemes have a plethora of different options where you can get some or all of your pension but newer ones tend to have it that you must be unfit for any work at all.