Rights for companies when buying used cars.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A friend of mine has recently bought a used car for 7500 pounds for his company from a used car dealer.

9 days after collecting the car it broke down and has been diagnosed as having head gasket failure, the dealer took the car back and appeared as if he was going to sort it but now has given my friend a estimate of 700 pounds to repair the vehicle.

Can anyone advise on what rights my friend has as he bought it in his company name is he high and dry or does he have some possible route for getting the dealer to sort it.

Thanks

Just to add clarity to the OPs position

This is not a consumer issue, form the information given it is a Business to Business transaction.

Therefore the Consumer Protection Act and Sales of Goods act may not apply

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

As this is Business to Business, was the seller aware of this and does your friend have a contract ?

Exclusions can be used to exclude or restrict statutory rights in relation to all goods when buyers are other than a consumer

but any exclusions or restriction must be reasonable.

It is the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1988 that applies. It doesn't give a business buyer as much protection as a consumer,

but it does say:

"Where, under such a contract, the transferor transfers the property in goods in the course of a business, there is an implied

condition that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

For the purposes of this section and section 5 below, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would

regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances"

I think it reasonable to expect a £7,500 car to last more than 9 days.