EU, in or out..

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3073 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

And what of the imports from the EU into the UK??

We will have to pay import tax which will result in higher prices at the shops

Leaving the EU will end non customs charges within member states

We will have to pay our way just like Norway and Switzerland

Being selective with your posts does not help

Only if this government decides to put an import tax on. Importing taxes on goods into the UK would be a UK affair

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is your main issue with the EU ?

If as you say little will change, why leave the club ?

The EU was doing ok before the Banks made a mess of it and it can recover, provided it reforms itself, with Brussels parliament not involving itself in too many issues.

My main issue is loss of sovereignty. I don't like foreign courts overruling our courts or other countries telling our 'elected' government what laws it can and can't make.

If the UK did not pay this EU import tax on exit then the remaining 27 member states would simply ignore the UK and not import commerce. Why should we be any different than Norway or Switzerland?

Import tax would be an EU affair as it is a Treaty obligation for non EU members, not the UK who will have no say on the matter. if countries outside the EU have to pay this import tax into the EU for their products, why should we be any different???

Your second comment about loss of soverignty is erroneous as well

Parliament will always be supreme. There is nothing stopping us legislatng on our own member state constitution

All we have to do is repeal the European Communities Act and EU jurisprudence will no longer apply on the UK

Parliament will always be soverign

Edited by obiter dictum

"And what of the imports from the EU into the UK??

We will have to pay import tax which will result in higher prices at the shops"

Again, you are mistaken.

Goods being exported from inside the eu to OUTSIDE THE EU would be subject to EXPORT duties as per eu requirements

Not as you said it, UK imposing IMPORT TAXs on eu goods coming into the UK

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The thing about loss of sovereignty is that our Parliament has sovereignty however it chooses to give away some of that authority to the EU. It can, at any time take it back .

However there would be occasions when not implementing an EU directive or passing legislation makes staying in the EU incompatible . That does not mean that they can not make the laws as they see fit

What authority being given away are you particularly worried about ?

BTW

Obiter, please learn to quote and multiquote , otherwise your posts are really really difficult to understand

Any opinion I give is from personal experience .

The UK entered the EU in 1973 when it passed the European Communities Act of 1972.

In this act, parliament declared that the UK courts must interpret English law in accordance with EU law; effectively limiting parliament’s sovereignty.

Edited by Conniff

And all the UK has to do is repeal the European Communities Act maintaining the soverignty of Parliament

The same as any other Act of Parliament

In other words, leave.

If I remember, we had to repeal our Merchant Shipping act because the Spanish didn't like it. I can't remember the details.

That's the word I was looking for.

The British Government estimates that around 50% of UK legislation with a significant economic impact originates from EU legislation.

But most of it, the Uk government agrees with. If the UK left, it would still apply any law it agreed with or as a condition of any trade relationship.

I don't mind loss of sovereignty, as sometimes Brussels gives better rights to consumers and workers than Westminster.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Goods being exported from inside the eu to OUTSIDE THE EU would be subject to EXPORT duties as per eu requirements

Not as you said it, UK imposing IMPORT TAXs on eu goods coming into the UK

What export duties are we considering?

Its probably a valid point; the eu doesn't impose export duties, UK exports are zero rated for VAT purposes [VAT MOSS excepted ] so I suppose it will fall to competition and the will of the incumbent government at the time.

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2015/11/5/european-crisis/its-end-eu-we-knew-it

Remember R.E.M.? The cult rock band’s song ‘It’s the end of the world as we know it’ would make the perfect soundtrack to Europe’s current crisis. It is indeed the end of Europe as knew it. Except no sane observer could join in R.E.M.’s chorus “and I feel fine”.

Nothing is fine in Europe these days. Since Angela Merkel singlehandedly opened Germany’s borders to refugees, asylum seekers, migrants and any other nomads, the continent has been plunged into chaos. First and foremost, Merkel’s irresponsible decision has created an existential challenge to her own country. But it also threatens to wreck the European Union -- or at least turn it into an entirely different organisation.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 weeks later...

It matters not who said it, it wasn't put there because it was Farage, and I didn't say anything about him or his party.

But what he says about Europe and Germany is 100% correct. You can see that by the look on Merkals face.

He is a superb speaker.

Edited by Conniff

It matters not who said it, it wasn't put there because it was Farage, and I didn't say anything about him or his party.

But what he says about Europe and Germany is 100% correct. You can see that by the look on Merkals face.

It was very well said and no one can really deny the truth of it.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It was very well said and no one can really deny the truth of it.

It is difficult to argue against Farage, but he is only representing part of the argument. It is not Germanys fault that they are very successful as an exporting nation, as they have invested a lot of money in training, R&D and in manufacturing equipment. Due to their success, they are the most dominant country. As for the French economy, for a country of only slightly less people and GDP income than the UK, they actually enjoy a higher productivity and quality of life than the UK.

The 28 EU countries produces a higher GDP income than the US and has less combined government debt than the US. The EU area is stil the best consumer market in the world and dominates the world in many cultural aspects.

Not saying that the EU does not have problems, which could be subject to reform, but the glass is half full and not half empty. Much of the EU current economic difficulties is down to the rushed way the EURO area was formed, with countries included on the basis of false accounting. Some of these countries borrowed huge sums of money at lower interest rates, to spend on very expensive infrastructure projects and have not recovered due to austerity measures.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

It matters not what your politics are, you cannot deny that he is right;

I also deny he is 'right'

He may come up with a FEW things which are issues that need addressing in some way, but they are drips in the oceans of his wrongness.

Neither are his solutions to those problems in any way right.

Its like saying a habitual criminal is 'right' just because he's good to his dog.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

I am afraid I find his comments and tone xenophobic in the extreme . The EU was not designed to 'contain Germany ' it was designed to promote unity and foster peace. The biggest war in the second half of the 20th century was due to the collapse of the Soviet Union and the break up of Yugoslavia . To blame the war in Syria on the eu is rather ironic as the causes of that can be traced back to Britain and France and the League of Nations.

How many people are aware that the idea of European unity ,free trade and single currency go back to the Marshall Plan.

I will concede that he is an excellent speaker, who frankly never lets the whole truth get in the way of a good sound bite

by the way so was Hitler .

An excellent speech!! To say it was xenophobic is crass, if more UK politicians were to

take this stand Britain would be far better off.

The comments in post #130 is the work of someone seriously out of touch with the real world.

The reference to Hitler is offensive as well.

Farage seems to me to have " nailed" the state of the EU perfectly.

An excellent speech!! To say it was xenophobic is crass, if more UK politicians were to

take this stand Britain would be far better off.

The comments in post #130 is the work of someone seriously out of touch with the real world.

The reference to Hitler is offensive as well.

Farage seems to me to have " nailed" the state of the EU perfectly.

A number of people feel the same way as you barnowl, its just that a lot more feel differently - else his party would have more than 1 UK parliamentary mp (who often differs from Farages extreme views) - and he would be one himself..

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

10 years to save the Vest

After Truss lost the shirt off the UKs back in 49 days

Please explain why a factual reference about Hitler is offensive

All I stated was that he was an excellent speaker

AS for being crass calling farage xenophobic , well I am not sure how else to view it when he says the EU was set up to 'contain Germany' and his references to immigrants. My belief , based of past and current speeches by Farage is that he is a racist bigot (or at least professes to be one to appeal to some parts of the electorate). He is also a fraud as he tries to play the part of the 'ordinary working man' who in fact came from Public School and worked in the city, one of thatchers children.