Network Debt Collection calls from virgin media - student BB debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3108 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I have had a student contract with VMedia that has expired before the summer and now I'm receiving daily calls from 08451400500.

I've had the chance to answer them once and despite the strange accent that the guy had, he wanted me to confirm my address, which I did not remember by the time of the call and he said he'll call me later (prob wanted to check if I'm the person they are looking for).

After talking to VM online chat they were very certain that I need to pay a month extra, after the contract has ended as I didn't notify them about cancelling the contract 30 days before it ended,

they started charging me every month after the contract period.

A fun fact is that when I was signing the contract, the guy at their office was 100% certain that this contract will be terminated after the 9 months as I wanted to make sure I won't be having any issues after its period.

The funnier thing is that my online account with them seems to be disconnected long ago, but I have bills for a couple of months which somehow end up as £40 that I owe them (this is supposed to be the price per month).

I had my sleeping pattern upside down the past week, so I was alseep when I was receiving the calls from that debt agency,but I can see that they've been trying to call. Could you suggest what would be the best thing to do?

First thing is to STOP talking to them over the phone, when they ring laugh and hang up, repeat the process every time.

Wait until they find an adult who can write and send you a letter which should state the real nature of their business and what exactly they want.

Have you got sight of the contract you had with them?

What does it say in there about cancellation procedure, length of contract etc?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Unfortunately I can't find the contract as I was in a different property by the time and I might have left it there with the idea that everything would be ok after I paid the last bill.

After checking their website it seems that the standard procedure would be to notify them 30 days before wanting it to be terminated, but I feel that I was mislead by the representative in their office who told me it would be terminated after 9 months (the obvious idea behind a student contract).

However, this could be my mistake that I haven't done my research and reading of the whole contract, but again I felt confident about this after making a few obvious questions about the nature of this type of contract.

I haven't answered since the first call and I wonder if I should even pick up the phone. My flatmates told me I have nothing to worry about and I shouldn't pick up, but I still think I might end up in some trouble.

There is absolutely zero trouble you can get into for owing a multi billion pound corporation a measly few quid!

Don't even begin to worry about it.

Wait for them to write, as I said whatever they wish to discuss can be committed in writing, never deal with financial matters over the phone, unless you can record your calls?

Virgin Bledia are notoriously bad at communicating with their customers, which is pretty ironic for a communications provider.

And to be honest, I'd just ignore them until they come up with something substantial, no amount of complaining to them will get you anywhere, they simply ignore you.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

They'll have your email address, and if they're calling you then they'll have sight of your credit file so will be able to see your address on there.

Once you've updated your address on your CRF then virgin bledia will have no excuse not to know where you are.

Do be aware that your credit file can be damaged for 6 years by the mobile phone companies ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

They place a default marker on it.....you will struggle to get credit for 6 years.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

What exactly did you have with VM...as you have not stated yet...if it was for TV/BB or mobile?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Then mobiles have nothing to do with your thread...they will default you for the BB.

So I'll be in some kind of register of naughty customers and if I want to get a loan out of a bank I would not be able to do it in the next 6 years? Would you suggest that I just pay the £40 and forget about...?

If it has been more than three months since the "bill" was due, the default marker is could well already be on your file. If a default has been registered, paying the £40 will not see it removed. It is up to you if you want to pay or fight.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

So I'll be in some kind of register of naughty customers and if I want to get a loan out of a bank I would not be able to do it in the next 6 years? Would you suggest that I just pay the £40 and forget about...?

Well its proper name is Credit Register...you may of heard of companies such as Experian /Equafax/Ect....that's were they check you.

Its your choice if you require credit in the next 6 years.

that depends on you really, if u pay it it will keep myour credit file clean other than a few late markers which will already be there, you could then set about arguing to get it back and removal of said late markers if they are at fault, alternatively you can fight it now without paying but the markers and subsequent default will be put on your credit file and will stay for six years, getting them to remove bad info is not easy.

simplified, its pay up and learn from it or dont pay and argue the toss with them over it via letter/email or pay and then argue the toss

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

or pay and then argue the toss

I know what you're saying but that is like the proverbial into the wind.

They wouldn't care less about any dispute/complaint once you've paid.

Check your credit file first and see if they have marked it, then decide whether you either want to stump up the money,

or go down their lethargic complaints process.

Yes try Noddle it's free

My credit score is about 580 and it sits between Poor and Fair. Is there a way to see why is the reason for that?

This seems kinda inadequate...

Check what's on there, look at the defaults, on the left hand side of the screen you can see links to various parts of your report, searches, electoral role, addresses etc.