PPI used to set off credit card debt - this okay?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2035 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

PPI used to set off credit card debt I have found out today that 3 years ago Halifax used my PPI award to set off against a credit card debt.

I haven't had any correspondence about this at all.

It only came to light because a few weeks ago they sent me a letter and questionnaire saying that my PPI claim could be reconsidered. Today's letter says that it was reconsidered in 2012 (without my knowledge) and I was awarded £1100.

I couldn't find any record of this in correspondence or bank so rang them - after much faffing about the girl said it had been used against my debt.

A letter's gone out tonight asking for copy statements from beginning of 2012 to date as they seem to have stopped sending me any.

Is if acceptable for PPI awards to be used in this way?

Any chance of a refund do you think?

My personal circumstances are pretty dire due to bereavement and divorce, as they have been advised many, many times.

Thanks, Dimps

You might find it more beneficial to send a Subject Access Request

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387306-Full-Subject-Access-Request-**Updated-January-2015**(1-Viewing)-nbsp

They cant simply decide to use PPI against a debt without your even knowing about it ?

However, if you had instigated the claim for a refund of the premiums yourself, then they would have been within their rights to offset the refund against any arrears on the account.

So I guess what you should be looking at is, was the account in arrears at the time they say they offset the PPI ?

And, what you want to know is, why did they just arbitrarily do this without your knowledge ? Had you not been receiving statements for the card ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for your reply - all noted.

I hadn't been having statements, no - hence today's request for some from January 2012.

I don't recall any letters about using the PPI either, I have a file with all correspondence in and there is no mention of it in there.

I'll see what the statements reveal and, if appropriate, get copies of any correspondence.

Thanks for that statement request, I'll take a look.

Dimps

Hi Dimps,

Does this card show on your credit file ?

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert