Mattress bought from Littlewoods - not fit for purpose after 9 months

indigo75
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3118 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I am currently in a dispute with Littlewoods catalogue regarding a Silentnight Miracoil mattress I bought from them as part of a divan set. I ordered it on 30th December 2014 and received it in the middle of January. We noticed it was quite noisy to start with but assumed this was just because it was new and would settle down. Weeks passed and come September I decided enough was enough and contacted Littlewoods to complain. They said they would send a technician out to assess the mattress. He visited on 25th September and, I have just found out this morning, apparently found no fault with the mattress.

Now, my husband and I share the bed (obviously), along with our 14 month old. By September, the mattress was making so much noise that it was disturbing our sleep every time we moved or, in some cases, breathed! The mattress is lumpy and bumpy, it crunches as you sit on it, with a very audible crunch. Even to look at it it looks a complete mangled mess.

I don't trust the report - I know the technician has to be impartial but when he assessed it he did indicate to my husband that the mattress did not appear to be fit for purpose. Of course, that is our word against his. Littlewoods have charged us £45 for the technician report because he did not find a fault. The mattress and bed cost £528 which has been paid off.

I have told them I am not happy with the outcome and that if this is their final word, I want it in writing. This was their response:

Thank you for your email

please get your own independent report done if a manufacturing afult is found send in the report + the receipt for cost of report for us to view

thank you

littlewoods

upolstery dept.

(that was the way it was written, in that exact format, which is not very professional looking is it?!)

Any advice would be most welcomed

Thanks in advance!

I requested the report. This is what I received:

As requested here is the outcome of the report.

Reported Problem

Customer is reporting the bed is making noises and waking them in the night.

Why Liability

The customer has a babys cot at the Sid of the bed and they are climbing in and out of the bed this is causing damage to the mattress and the wooden base of the bed this is customer caused fault due to the limited access

Action Taken

There is a noise coming from the bed base and this is the wooden rail that supports the fibreboard top that is moving in the joint this is on the right side of the bed at the bottom in the area that customer gets out of as limited entry to this side also this area has a area of dipping as customer is repeatedly sitting on the edge of the bed and the springs towards the edge has moved and are catching on each other. The left side of the bed has a area of dipping towards the bottom after were the cot is this is were the customer is gaining entry to their side of the bed. Mattress is very soft and springs weak in the areas with dipping but is ok in other areas.

Now, this report is seriously flawed. I responded thus:

"I would be getting in and out of the bed more to see to the baby if the baby's cot was not side-carred to the side of the bed! This report is a joke. Read on:

The report contradicts itself. First it says that there is limited access on the right: " the joint this is on the right side of the bed at the bottom in the area that customer gets out of as limited entry to this side". Then it says: "The left side of the bed has a area of dipping towards the bottom after were the cot is this is were the customer is gaining entry to their side of the bed."

I suggest that this report is seriously flawed and therefore I will not accept the charge of £45 and I am asking for a second opinion.

How would you suggest we proceed from here? "

There are several other things I would like to mention. As I outline above, I would be getting in and out of the bed more if the baby's cot was separate from the bed. Secondly, some people have their bed against the wall - how would that work out? Either way, it is NORMAL, is it not, to get in and out of bed?

Plus, they make it out as if I weigh around 20st or something (which I certainly don't!)

Very ****ed off :(:-x