Liability Orders...Government wants to substantially increase Attachment of Earnings Orders...Seeking help from HMRC.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2958 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Your above comment came a day before the news report this morning that Google has paid Corporation Tax this year of just £5k.

Yes - it is not a new area of discussion by any stretch of the imagination. It would also be a huge vote winner for any political party who tackled the issue. Of course the wealthy public school educated will never implement it as it will cost them too much.

I've heard argument re Council Tax that there is an element of being seen to collect the taxes. I agree with that entirely, but still think there are huge, untapped revenue streams the government could use which should, rightly, be a priority.

As for Council Tax, my personal feeling, and I know not everyone will agree with me, is that the more bailiffs can be taken out of the picture, the better. It stops bailiff corruption, and it stops any cottage industries / businesses springing up to profit off the back of bailiff issues.

I have a problem with what BA mentioned previously about tax payers in employment being given another chance, by asking for the details of their employer. What about people on benefits then? The people with the lowest income. Will they, yet again, be ridden over roughshod and thrown to the bailiffs, their hefty charges and bully boy tactics? I hope not sincerely - once again the poorest, and often most vulnerable in society being made to pay via the most frightening method, and the method most open to abuse; that cannot be right and hopefully will not be allowed to happen. These people are being hit hard enough with the current cruel austerity measures, they don't need another thrown into their lap.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone in Scotland, I think it was for the SNP did a calculation a few years ago. You change Council Tax to a "local" income tax, recovered at source from your employer, just the same as Income Tax/Nat Insurance etc. This would result in 100% collection of Council Tax, and would also save each authority millions since no Council would need a Council Tax Arrears department, the council tax department as a whole would only need a couple of admin bods to deal with potential problems, the self employed, etc and there would be absolutely no need for a Council Tax Benefit department, again saving fortunes, and ridiculous expensive accounting procedures, of removing the benefit from 1 account, into another. If your not working, your not paying council tax, easy.

A typical weekly figure of Council Tax is about £20 a week per household. The new system would do away with Bands which are extremely unfair (why should someone on a low income be paying a tax based on the value of the private home they are renting, they wont see the value, the owner will) Under the new system, the tax would be £5 a week. So even if 4 adults live together in a home and are all in full employment, their combined weekly tax would still not be any higher than before. There are then lots of follow on benefits, court time freed up, end of committal to prison, except for self employed, stuff like that.

That sounds very like the Poll Tax which ended up with riots in Scotland and Margaret Thatcher being ousted from Office.

I wish!

More like £30 - 40

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I have a problem with what BA mentioned previously about tax payers in employment being given another chance, by asking for the details of their employer. What about people on benefits then? The people with the lowest income. Will they, yet again, be ridden over roughshod and thrown to the bailiffs, their hefty charges and bully boy tactics? I hope not sincerely -

allowed to happen. These people are being hit hard enough with the current cruel austerity measures, they don't need another thrown into their lap.

Reviewing some of the background information behind this surprise Consultation, it is interesting to read that one major local authority had reported that the number of summonses issued by them had increased significantly over the past two years (since the introduction of CTS) to approx 87,000 for the year 2014/15. Following the Liability Orders, 25,000 accounts were referred to bailiffs and this figure was almost half what it was two years ago.

Most importantly, the same local authority reported that whilst approx 25,000 accounts were referred to bailiffs, the number of cases subject to attachments against benefits was at the highest level in seven year (12,000 accounts).

Considering the mess and delays the local coucils (mine in particular) have in assessing somebody for council tax the whole thing needs re-looking at.

My local council can't work out why I am NOT unemployed (I've told them I am living on some savings) and why I won't claim other 'relevant' benefits. I've told them I have an aversion to claiming benefit as they screwed up last time I needed to claim.

Is THIS still accurate? If so, it has a big implication for the ability to deduct from benefits via an AOE?

If your question concerns the actual amount of deductions then yes, the information is indeed correct. The link is of course only in relation to taxpayers who are in paid employment (as opposed to those who are only in receipt only of benefits).

Is THIS still accurate? If so, it has a big implication for the ability to deduct from benefits via an AOE?

It still means the bailiff in effect for people on zero hour contracts also

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

With taxpayers on zero hour employment contracts I do not believe that attachments can be possible.

They are unfortunately BA....people whose income fluctuates due to the frequency of work (common for people on zero hour contracts or freelance workers, for example), the amount may change month on month.....but still applicable.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

They are unfortunately BA....people whose income fluctuates due to the frequency of work (common for people on zero hour contracts or freelance workers, for example), the amount may change month on month.....but still applicable.

Regards

Andy

Andy, thank you so much for clarifying this.

Local authorities would even like tougher sanctions to apply to those who do not pay their council tax. One prominent Revenue's Manger has a 'wish list' with Liability Orders made subject to CCJ's so that the debt appears on the taxpayers credit report !!! I disagree entirely. Being unable (for one reason or another) to pay council tax should not affect a person's credit rating for 6 years !!! Mind you......if this 'wish list' were ever implemented (which could never happen) the courts would be overrun with taxpayers submitting an N245 to vary the court order and to pay the judgment by way of nominal affordable payments.

http://www.credittoday.co.uk/article/18022/online-news/government-calls-for-views-to-improve-council-tax-debt-recovery-

"Prominent"? when was a "Revenue Manager" ever prominent lol :p

He seriously doesn't think that the potential to go to Prison for months, if not years without ever having the choice of a real trial by a jury of your peers isn't "Harsh" enough? I feel this is someone who should not be allowed in any high level decision making on the future of these matters, clearly some daily mail drone.

Are the Management Drones mentioned in the article genuinely real people, or is the article an April Fools?

Because I find it absolutely terrifying that these people's job involves supposed expertise in Council Tax, and running C Tax departments and expect and are getting perhaps even a big say in the future of it's collection.

Yet they don't even know that Student's are Exempt from Council Tax!!!!!!

“1. Make landlords liable. In Brighton & Hove we have a large number of students and an even greater number of short term lets. I wrote to my MP years ago suggesting that a simple way to improve council tax collection was to make landlords liable.

I don't disagree at all with making Landlords liable, expecially as many still give tenants contracts stating the landlord will pay the tax, knowing full well it is down to the tenant, and the landlord has no intention of paying it, it was just a [problem] to get them to sign up. But Student's don't pay it, so how do you make a Landlord pay something that is not even owed?

Incidently, I believe strongly that Students SHOULD pay something towards council tax, especially considering how large a drain they are on local services, in University Towns.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Because I find it absolutely terrifying that these people's job involves supposed expertise in Council Tax, and running C Tax departments and expect and are getting perhaps even a big say in the future of it's collection.

I speak to local authorities on a very frequent basis and I can assure you that most of them take the view that council tax must be paid and if you cannot pay...the enforcement agent should take your goods. Most are not sympathetic at all.

I speak to local authorities on a very frequent basis and I can assure you that most of them take the view that council tax must be paid and if you cannot pay...the enforcement agent should take your goods. Most are not sympathetic at all.

Not a good mix with their lack of knowledge!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

....One prominent Revenue's Manger has a 'wish list' with Liability Orders made subject to CCJ's so that the debt appears on the taxpayers credit report !!!

"
Barrie Minney, senior enforcement manager at Brighton & [Hove] City Council and chairman of the Local Authority Civil Enforcement Forum
."

Not sure how a CCJ could be recorded when the liability order is issued by the magistrate.s court.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

"
Barrie Minney, senior enforcement manager at Brighton & [Hove] City Council and chairman of the Local Authority Civil Enforcement Forum
."

He is also very supportive of 'in house' bailiff operations and this subject (amongst many other interesting ones) will feature at the yearly LACEF conference in Manchester next month.

http://www.cdspconference.com/LACEF

Conwy CC amongst others would see someone evicted for rent arrears, and send the bailiffs after them even to the B & B or park bench as they would regard Council Tax as higher priority than the debtor keeping a roof over their heads. as to:

"2. My personal favourite; liability orders should be registered as a County Court Judgment (CCJ). It’s the biggest question we get – ‘will this affect my credit rating?”

No No and thrice No should this be allowed, as the £1 liability of NELC fame would be subject to a CCJ under that head. Ludicrous.

Edited by brassnecked
typo

Conwy CC amongst others would see someone evicted for rent arrears, and send the bailiffs after them even to the B & B or park bench as they would regard Council Tax as higher priority than the debtor keeping a roof over their heads. as to:

"2. My personal favourite; liability orders should be registered as a County Court Judgment (CCJ). It’s the biggest question we get – ‘will this affect my credit rating?”

No No and thrice No shoul;d this be allowed, as the £1 liability of NELC fame would be subject to a CCJ under that head. Ludicrous.

People like them are the ones I dream will lose their jobs and fall into debt, let them experience the worst of the situations they and their ilk have created, and inflicted on people.

Someone who raises a "target" or bit of "income" over the lives and well being of people simply shouldn't be in local authority employment.

Until the British People go "French" these useless, vastly over promoted, halfwits will continue to act as tyrants in our lives, and make them worse.

But then, in this time of Budget Cuts and Economic Woe, Council's constantly refuse the most obvious cuts that would save a lot of money with absolutely NO effect on services.... scrapping most levels of Management. Ceredigion Council have a "Budget cut calculator" in a whiny attempt to show how hard it is and its been fixed to make you feel guilty, take just a couple of grand off the social services budget, and suddenly poor children are starving and being raped! no joke, the amount of cut they claim this would begin to happen is ludicrously low.

I bet, when I was working for Leeds Council's building services as Admin/Data Entry, I did more actual real, useful, worthwhile work in a week, than the likes of Barry Minnie do in 6 months to a year.

We don't need people like Minnie, they have no place, they drain resources, for no discernible benefit.

Just more workshy middle management who's minions do all the work, but they get all the pay, and cost local authorities and the tax payers millions in wages and golden handshakes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And don't even go near the overpaid cosseted Council CEOs Caled.

And don't even go near the overpaid cosseted Council CEOs Caled.

It's a serious discussion that needs to be had regarding local and central civil services, when the current economic woes began kicking off, a good few private companies finally woke up and realised what a drain the layers of management were, especially when those managers pretty much brought zero income to the company, just drained from it.

I have seen an Out of Hours Unit Manager, being paid 24 grand plus to "manage" the Out of Hours staff, but chose to work 10am-4pm monday to friday, so us stuff never actually saw her, ever. We did all the work, all the admin, we even organised the rota ourselves, she did nothing at all, there was literally nothing for her to do, yet they chose to waste 24+ grand of taxpayers on her.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I think that he knows that it is a comment that is unpopular but it will be very interesting indeed to hear comments from the many other many local authorities who will be present at this years' LACEF conference. I am also particularly interested in the agenda regarding the subject of DVLA access and local authorities being responsible for external bailiffs.

I will be attending again this year and hopefully will have some information that I can share on here.

http://www.cdspconference.com/LACEF