Is there any legality to this?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so do please bear with me and forgive me if I don't get things quite right or breach any conduct.I've done some research and this forum seemed to be my best option for gleaning some advice.

I'll try and give you as brief an outline as possible but please feel free to ask questions if it doesn't seem clear.I have a resident's parking permit for where I live but there is space for only about 5 cars maximum in the designated area.As a consequence this mean that I sometimes have to park in an area that is owned by a business just a little further down from the resident's parking spots.

I have parked in this said area on numerous occasions,usually with absolutely no problem.There has been the occasional note plastered to my screen telling me that it's private land and not to park there but it has only been occasional and there has been no threat attached.

Yesterday,however,I found another note attached to my screen which is somewhat different in its wording.I'll give you the full thing as follows -

"WARNING

You are parked on private property.You are parking in a paid space.

CAR REG **** ***

DATE 7.10.15

By using this space you agree to pay the following:

- A daily charge levied at £30 per day

(Ownership details are obtained via DVLA v8882)

This notice is official notification of this charge,the charge payable for each period the car is parked between 12pm and 12am daily.

This notice and your details have been recorded; ********" (name of company)

It is perhaps also worth mentioning that this is not a car park that is "patrolled" by a private parking company.This notice is solely from the people running the business.I do try not to park there and won't if there is ever any viable alternative.It seems odd that 90% of the time that I have parked there I've received nothing.Then there's been the occasional "nasty note" and now this.And this just seems to be a little more sinister somehow,certainly sinister enough to make me do some research which brings me back to where I began :-)

Any and all help and or/advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards to you all and thank you for your time :-)

Not sure on the legality, but I wold suggest you find somewhere else to park. How would you like it if the business started parking their vehicles in one of your 5 parking bays?

Agree that the business has every right to warn you about parking in an area that they own or pay for. It is just an invoice and there is no contract or legal basis for it. They could take you to the small claims court and try to recover an amount if loss they believe they have suffered.

You need to sort out the parking. No point having a permit, if you don't have a space to park in. You need to speak to whoever owns or manages the property to see what they can do to increase parking. Perhaps people are using the 5 spaces when they are not residents.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Not sure on the legality, but I wold suggest you find somewhere else to park. How would you like it if the business started parking their vehicles in one of your 5 parking bays?

Yeah that's fair comment,I can't argue with you.Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Agree that the business has every right to warn you about parking in an area that they own or pay for. It is just an invoice and there is no contract or legal basis for it. They could take you to the small claims court and try to recover an amount if loss they believe they have suffered.

You need to sort out the parking. No point having a permit, if you don't have a space to park in. You need to speak to whoever owns or manages the property to see what they can do to increase parking. Perhaps people are using the 5 spaces when they are not residents.

Again,fair comment on their right to warn me.And you're spot on in there being no point in paying for and having the permit if there's nowhere to park,it feels extremely pointless at times as the parking spaces are so ridiculously limited.You may also be right in the suggestion that the permit holder spaces may sometimes be taken up by people without them,I have no idea on that,however.It's never a problem on my work days as I'm gone by 0630 and not back again until around 2000 or thereabouts....but a real nightmare when I'm home.

Anyway it's clearly a problem that I'm going to have to solve one way or another.Please believe me,I've no desire to be a nuisance to anyone in any issue at any time,I just feel as though I'm left with no options a lot of the time.Anyway as I say,something I will need to solve one way or another.Thanks for taking the time to give me some input,I appreciate it.

The sign on the car is not legal, you have to be offered a contract and accept it before any part of it can be actioned or broken.

You need to dig a little deeper regarding the parking permits for where you live, If a scheme is going to be legal it must be in the lease for the property and if it isnt and you are paying for a permit then there is a claim of lack of performance by the people who dish out the permits.

However, you should stop parking on that business' property, they can actually remove your vehicle at their own expense if it is causing them an obstruction and by having taken your details and warned you (in the incorrect manner) you wont have much of a leg to stand on if they do. As they wont be able to dump it in the street you will end up paying somebody's storage charges and you wont get those back in a hurry.