• Tweets

• Update: tfl is taking me to court I'm trying to get an ooc claim from them but they have not been replying to my emails. 
    • Thousands of Chinese companies are making synthetic opioids and shipping them around the world.View the full article
    • Are these the important pages I need to upload ? 1.  pages 1-4 are court form 10a 2.  2 pages of the CCA agreement  3.  Default notice from NewDay, 22/02/20 4.   Lowell letter stating they own debt ,     Dated 16/11/20 5. Unheaded letter also dated 16/11/20 from NewDay saying they assigned “all of the respective rights etc,”  to Lowell on 23/10/20 I make this 9 relevant pages from what I can see   ( all other pages are statements/default notes and lots of FCA info sheets) just needing your confirmation in advance as I don’t want to send over pages that are not required thank you  UCM      
    • Just out of curiosity aesmith - are you a lawyer?
    • I spoke to a pro-bono entity this afternoon.  They advise I must initiate a claim in the court v the receiver if I want to then file an application for an order for sale.  I must have a claim/ proceedings to be able to force a sale. The judge in the current proceedings  has told me that I cannot force the lender to sell and the lender cannot interfere either.   If the receiver isn't acting correctly and isn't selling - this means I must make a claim against the receiver I could initiate a claim. Or much quicker  - the other entity - with a charge already - could use that to make an application for an order for sale.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Another debtor found guilty under Section 68(1) of TCEA 2007 of interfering with controlled goods

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3113 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yet again another debtor has been found guilty under section 68.1 of the Tribunal Courts & Enforcement Act 2007 for interfering with controlled goods and also for criminal damage.

Of serious concern is that this person was also represented by a McKenzie masquerading as a 'Lawyer' who has been responsible for a number of failed legal cases over the past couple of months that have resulted in debtors losing many thousands of pounds.

In this particular case, the brief background is that Croydon Council issued a penalty charge notice and the debt remained unpaid and was passed to their bailiff contractor; Confero Ltd to enforce. The enforcement officer attended the property and located the vehicle. A wheel clamp was applied and the relevant statutory notice posted through the door.

The owner of the vehicle forcibly removed the wheelclamp and drove away in the car. Later that same day he was arrested by the police and charged with the following:

Criminal damage (to the wheel clamp)

Theft of the motor vehicle.

Intentionally inferring with Controlled Goods without lawful excuse.

The vehicle was removed to the enforcement companies car pound. He was bailed and had a first hearing at court earlier this year (May).

The individual claimed that he had not received statutory notices from Croydon Council and accordingly filed an Out of Time witness statement. It is assumed that this had been rejected.

At Bromley Magistrates Court yesterday (5th October) he was cleared of the charge of theft of the motor vehicle but was found guilty of the other two charges (criminal damage to the wheelclamp) and interfering with controlled goods without lawful excuse. He was fined a total of £1,598

The defendant claimed that he owned the vehicle but for reasons that are very unclear, the car was registered in the name of his 'friend'.

What was very odd indeed was that they both lived at the SAME address and they were both named drivers on the insurance policy.

The downside of this is that he has now ended up with a criminal conviction.

He has ended up with a lot more than a criminal conviction.

Firstly he has a substantial court fine.

He would have also paid a substantial fee to his McKenzie friend. Judging from other cases that the individual has been involved with, the fee could have been as much as £900.

He has been without the vehicle for 5 months.

The defendant claimed that he owned the vehicle but for reasons that are very unclear, the car was registered in the name of his 'friend'.

What was very odd indeed was that they both lived at the SAME address and they were both named drivers on the insurance policy.

The defendant's Mc Kenzie has claimed today that at the court hearing the Magistrate was satisfied that the defendant was the OWNER of the car. If so, then this raises more questions than it answers !!

If he is the owner then WHY would he have allowed his friend (who lives at the same address) to REGISTER the car is his name?

Why would they both be named drivers on the same insurance policy?

When the initial contravention occured, London Borough of Croydon would have approached DVLA for 'keeper' details. Naturally, DVLA would have responded to advise that the car was registered in the name of the 'friend' and accordingly, the Notice to Owner, the Charge Certificate and the Order for Recovery would have been sent to the 'friend'....at the same address as the defendant. Now, if the friend had not been the driver at the time of the contravention, why did he not appeal the ticket to LB of Croydon? Most odd.

Given that all statutory notices would have been addressed to his 'friend' (as the registered keeper), why then did the defendant file an Out of Time witness statement? Surely the friend should have filed the OoT (after all, each of the statutory notices would have been in his name)?

Was the issue of McKenzie friends being allowed to speak, or otherwise, ever resolved? I know there was a lengthy discussion about it some time ago.

It makes no sense to me having a McKenzie friend pretending to be a lawyer if that person is going to be in court and forbidden to speak. It would then be blatantly obvious the person was not a lawyer, surely?

I don't want to get involved, but I do like to try to get a clear picture.

Of serious concern is that this person was also represented by a McKenzie masquerading as a 'Lawyer' who has been responsible for a number of failed legal cases over the past couple of months that have resulted in debtors losing many thousands of pounds.

I don't have the full details as yet but, I have been given to understand there was yet another hearing yesterday which resulted in this McKenzie (ie Jason B) being refused permission to address the court, who I believe reprimanded him severely for his conduct.

I don't have the full details as yet but, I have been given to understand there was yet another hearing yesterday which resulted in this McKenzie (ie Jason B) being refused permission to address the court, who I believe reprimanded him severely for his conduct.

Right, I think that gives me the clear picture I wanted. :|

I'll have to back out in that case, thank you.

As I have stated many times, a County Court judge will very rarely allow a McKenzie Friend to address the court.

In the case of a criminal conviction, I would be staggered if an MK were allowed to address the Magistrates and even more shocked if the MK were permitted to 'cross examine' a police office !!

I on't have the full detdails as yet but, I have been given to understand there was yet another hearing yesterday which resulted in this McKenzie (ie Jason B) being refused permission to address the court, who I believe reprimanded him severely for his conduct.

It is my understanding that he was not granted permission to address the court. A transcript will shortly confirm this.

It is also true that the MF would not be able to claim costs from the other side in any case. they can claim form their client only if they have permission from the court to act given before the proceedings commenced.

If I were the debtor here i would certainly not pay a penny to the MF, as from what I have seen there is no legal imperative to do so.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Not odd in the slightest, I am the registered keeper of a vehicle but I am NOT the legal owner. Why would this be of concern as it is common practice with many finance deals and personal needs.

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

This is why the MF rules are being looked into in the near future and possibly new rules could be introduced later next year, I did post a link to this on a different thread...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Not odd in the slightest, I am the registered keeper of a vehicle but I am NOT the legal owner. Why would this be of concern as it is common practice with many finance deals and personal needs.

It is absolutely common practice with finance deals and indeed with parents. For example, up until a couple of years ago I owned (and could provide clear evidence) that the cars that were being used by both my sons on an everyday basis had been purchased by me and that my sons were merely registered keepers. This is a very common situation indeed in many families. It is not so common with flatmates (or house sharers).

What possible explanation could be given for a vehicle owner (in this case the defendant) to register his vehicle in the name of his flatmate?

He has ended up with a lot more than a criminal conviction.

Firstly he has a substantial court fine.

He would have also paid a substantial fee to his McKenzie friend. Judging from other cases that the individual has been involved with, the fee could have been as much as £900.

He has been without the vehicle for 5 months.

I dont tend to make errors very often but when I do, I will quickly admit that I was wrong and make the necessary correction.

I stated above that the Mc Kenzie friend (The Guru) would have likely charged the defendant as much as £900. In fact he has confirmed that he charges about £2,500 each time that he acts as a McKenzie Friend.

Costs go undefended...

Silly world we live in really !

If someone wrote a book 30 years ago about some of the issues we see, it would have been seen as a load of nonsense.

Perhaps if government tackled root causes, then we might not have this situation.

Not sure the new legislation has made enforcement any easier. As always, new legislation often leads to other issues.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Car's are, when new/newish very expensive items, they involve spending large amounts of money to run, ie Insurance, tax etc, so represent a hefty investment, Losing your car can mean losing your job, in a lot of circumstances, and of course, we are seeing third party goods being seized wrongfully, and that mistake either genuine, or through negligence/arrogance by an EA can cause an innocent person to thus lose their job, or become homebound, esp with the rise in fines, parking tickets and so on, so what don't understand is why Car Ownership, as in the actual person who in a legal definition of ownerships actually owns the vehicle is such a murky and in fact near impossible (at least when an EA is after money, anyones money) issue to prove.

Registered Keeper of a Car is not Proof of Ownership, nor is Insurance, though EA's are claiming either as justification for seizing, and I would think the Insurance claim is on very, very dodgy ground - Mr B drives lorries for Eddie Stobart, thus, Mr B is insured to drive an Eddie Stobart Lorry, that does not mean the EA can seize Eddie Stobart's lorry for Mr B's personal debt, just because the insurance is in his name..

So why is there not a way of registering actual ownership? Surely it would be the work of seconds to add a field into the DVLA systems stating the name of the Owner, seperate to who is insured, registered keeper etc, and stick a little bit of blurb on any passing bit of legislation making it a legal requirement to inform the DVLA who the actual owner is? It isn't rocket science.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Excellent post caledfwch (as usual).

In fact where there is a problem (and hence the requirment to provide supporting EVIDENCE) is that the actual statutory regulations provide that the REGISTERED KEEPER is ASSUMED to be the OWNER of the vehicle....unless the contary is PROVED.

Car's are, when new/newish very expensive items, they involve spending large amounts of money to run, ie Insurance, tax etc, so represent a hefty investment, Losing your car can mean losing your job, in a lot of circumstances, and of course, we are seeing third party goods being seized wrongfully, and that mistake either genuine, or through negligence/arrogance by an EA can cause an innocent person to thus lose their job, or become homebound, esp with the rise in fines, parking tickets and so on, so what don't understand is why Car Ownership, as in the actual person who in a legal definition of ownerships actually owns the vehicle is such a murky and in fact near impossible (at least when an EA is after money, anyones money) issue to prove.

Registered Keeper of a Car is not Proof of Ownership, nor is Insurance, though EA's are claiming either as justification for seizing, and I would think the Insurance claim is on very, very dodgy ground - Mr B drives lorries for Eddie Stobart, thus, Mr B is insured to drive an Eddie Stobart Lorry, that does not mean the EA can seize Eddie Stobart's lorry for Mr B's personal debt, just because the insurance is in his name..

So why is there not a way of registering actual ownership? Surely it would be the work of seconds to add a field into the DVLA systems stating the name of the Owner, seperate to who is insured, registered keeper etc, and stick a little bit of blurb on any passing bit of legislation making it a legal requirement to inform the DVLA who the actual owner is? It isn't rocket science.

Yes indeed, however. As you say the purchase of a car is a hefty investment for most of us. Such an investment would normally be mentioned in some kind of reciept I would have thought, or a sale receipt would be available form the seller, which could be obtained and presented to the EA during the compliance or enforcement stage.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Proof of purchase is again not proof of ownership, as parents we often buy a car for their children or other goods and then who owns them bearing in mind a quote like "we bought you a car" or "we bought a car for you to use" what would you believe is right if you was the EA? The old saying possession is 9/10 of the law comes to mind...

Proof of purchase is again not proof of ownership, as parents we often buy a car for their children or other goods and then who owns them bearing in mind a quote like "we bought you a car" or "we bought a car for you to use" what would you believe is right if you was the EA? The old saying possession is 9/10 of the law comes to mind...

So you're saying that proceedings against the father in your scenario could be prevented by his saying that he had previously gifted the car to his son, without any documented evidence of transfer of title. Yes good luck with that.

I give up

Excellent news