style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1437 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

If a person has been refused jsa due to having left a job voluntarily, is there a period of time before they can apply for jsa at all? I was under the impression that there was several weeks before it could be applied for?

Can a person be refused jsa for not having pain enough national insurance in the previous year? They had only worked part time for health reasons.

Is there any form of hardship claim available for a person in these circumstances at all.

Previous job was left as sick pay had run out and due to either lack of or bad advice, they gave notice and left the job. Personally I would not have advised they gave notice. They apparently have been refused jsa 2 months ago and are being supported by family but have no money at all.

Can a person be refused jsa for not having pain enough national insurance in the previous year?

Yes they can. You have to have paid a certain amount of NI each week in certain years (I don't know the rules; someone on here knows more than me I'm sure) to qualify.

Thanks Nystagmite.....I thought the IR one was for those who didnt have enough.....

Income related would be available if contribution based has been depleted.

There is a 26 week "sanction" for intentional unemployment I think.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

If a person has been refused jsa due to having left a job voluntarily, is there a period of time before they can apply for jsa at all? I was under the impression that there was several weeks before it could be applied for?
You can apply for JSA from the first day of unemployment, regardless of the reasons why you left your job. If there is any doubt as to those reasons, the case will be referred to a Decision Maker before payment is made. Each case like this is decided on its merits: you should be asked if you wish to supply further information and your former employer may also be asked to comment. A sanction of up to 26 weeks may be imposed if the DM is not satisfied with the reasons for leaving and believes that the unemployment was voluntary.

Can a person be refused jsa for not having pain enough national insurance in the previous year?
JSA©, contribution based JSA, is based on the claimant having made sufficient NI contributions in the last two full complete tax years preceding the benefit year the claim was made. For a claim made this year (that is, between Jan 15 and Dec 15, roughly) those tax years are April 12/April 13 and April 13/April 14. If insufficient NI conts have been paid in those years, JSA© will not be available but income based JSA(IB) can still be considered. Entitlement to JSA(IB) is based on household income and savings.

Note that it's possible when making a JSA claim to apply only for JSA©, and a lot of people do this because the form you need to complete (online, by phone or on paper) is much simpler. This often turns out to be a mistake, since in these cases JSA(IB) can't be considered if there is no entitlement to JSA©. If the person you're asking about hasn't yet applied for JSA(IB), he or she should do so now.

Is there any form of hardship claim available for a person in these circumstances at all.
Possibly. I'm not too well up on Hardship rules, though, and in a lot of cases the claimant needs to ask about it - JSA staff often don't offer it or even make the claimant aware that it exists. To give more detailed advice, we'd need confirmation of the reason why JSA has been refused.

Also, if the person rents his or her home, Housing Benefit may still be available even if JSA has been refused or sanctioned. Contact the council for more information about this - he or she may need to make a "nil income declaration".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Hardship can be claimed by someone who has a sanction imposed for either JSA or ESA. They would need to have entitlement or underlying entitlement to Income Based JSA/Income Related ESA. Hardship is considered for claimants who are vulnerable, can be treated as vulnerable, (e.g long term health condition, pregnant, child in the household) and if they are responsible for their own housing costs, typically someone living at parents home (parents not in receipt of benefits themselves) and therefore not liable for housing costs would not be eligible for hardship.

Hey flumps1976 :hug: - We have missed you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.