Unknown CCJ - 4 years old; can it be set aside

Bunsen
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3088 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

I have discovered that there is a CCJ from 2011 for over £7k against me.

I think it relates to a credit card with MBNA.

The thing is, at the time of the issue of the CCJ I had been living abroad for over two years

and had informed MBNA of this fact - never received a reply.

The CCJ was taken out by a DCA and not by the original creditor.

I doubt my change of address was noted.

Instead the CCJ was taken out at my parents' address -

which was not my last known UK address, but my last but one.

I would have disputed the amount as this seems incorrect.

I also would have issued a CCA to ascertain whether the DCA had the necessary paperwork for legal action.

I received no information regarding this matter and was totally unaware of it until yesterday.

My intention is to apply to have it set aside. However, there is the timescale involved - is it too late to do so?

Also, the DCA may argue that they were unaware of my change of address

and that they served at my last known address (although they didn't).

Is it possible to make a defence that I dispute the amount and that I would have made a CCA request?

Is the fact that I was never given the chance to present a defence a defence in itself?

That I never heard from MBNA that the debt had been sold or from the DCA that they had purchased the debt?

Thread moved to Financial Legal Issues

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

You might want to send a Subject Access Request to MBNA, if you told them of your change of address and they didn't pass this on, then I guess it might help in a set aside.

Although realistically, 4 years is a long time and it might be a bit difficult to get the set aside.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks, I might try the SAR, although as I informed them over the phone I am reliant on MBNA updating the information at the time.

What can I do about the amount being wrong - as in at least 2k over what I owed MBNA?

Also, what if the DCA never had the required paperwork? Had I known at the time I would have challenged them for this. Is it still possible to do so?

If this was me i would leave well alone

In 2 years it will drop off your credit file and the CCJ very hard to enforce

You start pulling the tigers tail now you will have things like Baliffs, attachment of earnings etc thrown at you. The creditor will want to start enforcement action

You will waste 6 months to a year getting a decision from a judge with the set aside application anyway

Do you really want that

If they have not contacted you in the last 4 years then be happy

If you do get a letter from them or the court then the realistic chances of a set aside application can be discussed then

This is my own opnion and the final decison is yours

Believe me when enforcement action is taken after a CCJ it is not nice, why identify yourself as someone who has slipped through the net

Thanks.

Just concerned that they have two years to do all of that now...

Then you either make arrangements to negotiate a payment plan or you follow the advice above.....I don't think an application to set a side now is viable.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The thing is, at the time of the issue of the CCJ I had been living abroad for over two years

and had informed MBNA of this fact - never received a reply.

surely if you can prove you were abroad when the claim was issued

that's a slam dunk set aside....

but you still need to counter the debt.

no harm in sending the clamant a CCA request now

see what they do hold

trouble is, that's shaking the hornets nest.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I thought that a set aside could be applied for, as long as it was done without delay after finding out about the CCJ.

Also they did not use your last known address to make the claim.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

surely if you can prove you were abroad when the claim was issued

that's a slam dunk set aside....

but you still need to counter the debt

Thank you.

Would proving that I was abroad at the time work?

I certainly can - had a foreign work visa with entry stamp in my passport, employment contract, bank account in the country I was in etc.

if MBNA didn't update then that might count against me.

Counter the debt?

Could do this only with information - CCA and SAR requests.

And from what I've been advised here,

that might not be a good idea....

Bunsen

Even if the claim is set aside, the debt still exists

You will still have to defend the full amount. You will have to show a realistic chance of still winning to convince the judge to set aside

Just ignore and in 2 years you will be free of a 7 grand noose around your neck.

Is that not worth waiting it out for the sake of 2 years??

Also they did not use your last known address to make the claim.

Thank you.

No, they used the last but one.

And again, this may have been an issue with MBNA not updating or not passing it on.

the only way I'd find this out is by digging it up.

I suspect MBNA never updated my details but I think the DCA chose over two years later to use my parents' address.

Interestingly, no paperwork at their address regarding the matter, although they did use to return mail.

But not much ever came.

The DCA should have been aware of all information given to MBNA, so it is not your problem.

Even if you set aside, you still have the debt to deal with.

Or you leave it and if they don't catch up with you within 6 years of the judgement, then they will find it difficult to enforce payment, when they did get around to it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What issue is the ccj actually causing you?

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

What issue is the ccj actually causing you?

Sorry, you are quite right.... I should have been clearer.

The short answer is nothing, but if I wanted to obtain a mortgage in later years then this would cause me a problem as I understand it - it may drop off the credit file but it still has to be disclosed.

I guess I'm just a bit peeved that this was done without my knowledge and that had I known I could have dealt with it.

I had another credit card and the lender was fine when I gave them my overseas address. Had no problems. MBNA? Go and sell it off without a word. So this is largely my annoyance.

I appreciate all the replies and the advice. I guess head down is the best policy for now....

Doesn't have to be disclosed

If they can't see it tough

DX

and they

Doesn't have to be disclosed

If they can't see it tough

DX

Interesting. I thought that was the case for defaults and statute barred debt, but that a CCJ still had to be disclosed. Of course, that comes with the "what do I know?" banner applied. Hence why I'm here asking you guys....and again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Bunsen:

I will respond from my professional (design of mortgage applications in a well known bank in UK) and personal experiences (CCJs as a creditor).

Any mortgage or lending application is most likely to be denied as CCJ appear in the report from any credit history house.

However, you could

1) mention the CCJ at application time,

2) pay the debt and

3) present a certificate of satisfaction.

The certificate can be obtained after payment of the debt at the county court where the case was registered or transferred to.

Leaving credit checks aside, the 4 years old CCJ is still recoverable by the DCA anytime.

Bunsen:

I will respond from my professional (design of mortgage applications in a well known bank in UK) and personal experiences (CCJs as a creditor).

Any mortgage or lending application is most likely to be denied as CCJ appear in the report from any credit history house.

However, you could

1) mention the CCJ at application time,

2) pay the debt and

3) present a certificate of satisfaction.

The certificate can be obtained after payment of the debt at the county court where the case was registered or transferred to.

Leaving credit checks aside, the 4 years old CCJ is still recoverable by the DCA anytime.

only the named claimant can enforce a CCJ.

dx

and they