Strange adjustments to standing orders and bank statements?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Received a computer generated letter from Halifax stating that as my monthly S/O to pay my rent had been returned they were going to add to their extortionate profit pocket and charge me £10 for doing sweet nothing.

So I looked at the online banking, to see that my S/O had been set up to pay four weekly? Strange as I had set it up to pay on the 25th of every month, I had never seen this 'four week' option in the drop down menu before.

So I changed it to pay on the 25th of the month thereafter, thinking it may well have been a genuine mistake on my part? (fat fingers!)

Then looked at the letter, which claims it tried to pay on the 19th of the month, so checked my on-line statement, which showed it had in fact been paid on the 25th, and a little further down it showed the 19th failed payment.

A bit peeved, but in the grand scheme of things a tenner is nothing compared to ten years ago when I owed considerably more than that!

Checked my on-line statement again the day after, and lo and behold, the standing order date had changed AGAIN! to the 26th of the month, and there was no record of the failed payment on the 19th??

Done the obvious and changed the PW, but it can only be an issue with the bank, as they're surely the only ones with the facility to change the bank statement?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

There is no issue with the bank and, of course, there is a reasonable answer to all of this.

If we accept your instructions to make a payment on a future date, we will make the payment that day. If the payment falls on a non-working day we will make the payment on the next working day.

This month, the 25th is a Sunday so the payment will be made on the next working day i.e. Monday 26th.

If we are unable to make a standing order or future dated payment from your account, because you do not have enough money in your account and we do not agree to your request for an unplanned overdraft or increased unplanned overdraft, then we will continue trying to make the payment each working day for up to 26 calendar days until there are funds available to make the payment.

The 19th was probably the final time they attempted to make your payment after all the other attempts were also unsuccessful due to insufficient funds.

(NOTE: There are upcoming changes to these terms and conditions about standing orders: From 4th December 2015, if you ask us to pay a standing order or future dated payment and you don’t have sufficient funds to make the payment on the due date, we’ll no longer retry this payment for 26 days. Instead, we have a new condition 5.1 which explains that we’ll try to make the payment again later that day. If there are still insufficient funds, we’ll make one last try on the next working day before rejecting the payment.).

-----

Also, unpaid standing orders are not recorded on your statement in the same way as Returned Direct Debits. This is because of the retry process.

All of this information actually appears on the screen when setting up a Standing Order through Halifax Online Banking.

Er......where do I start?

The S/O I set up has always been paid on the 25th of the month, or shortly after.

The 19th was the first time they tried to make the payment due to an anomaly that they are looking into, because for the past 9 months, it's been paid on the 25th.

And then there's the fact that the on line statements have been altered and information has been removed with no trace of the failed 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd 23rd or 24th payments failing.

Plus on three separate occasions I have had to physically change the date of the S/O because for whatever reason it has been altered.

Banks are not there to be reasonable, they are there to make profit out of you, which they have done in this case, albeit £10.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Er......where do I start?

The S/O I set up has always been paid on the 25th of the month, or shortly after.

The 19th was the first time they tried to make the payment due to an anomaly that they are looking into, because for the past 9 months, it's been paid on the 25th.

The 19th is roughly 26 calendar days after the 25th of the previous month. Appears to be the final attempt of the 26 calendar day retry process to me.

What months do these issues relate to?

And then there's the fact that the on line statements have been altered and information has been removed with no trace of the failed 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd 23rd or 24th payments failing.

Nothing would have been altered - as mentioned above, this information doesn't show on statements.

Plus on three separate occasions I have had to physically change the date of the S/O because for whatever reason it has been altered.

Again, this wouldn't have been altered. Internet Banking shows the date of the next payment. However, if you have unpaid standing orders this date won't yet show next months payment.

Banks are not there to be reasonable, they are there to make profit out of you, which they have done in this case, albeit £10.

Ok.

The standing order was set up to pay the funds on the 25th day of each month, this is how I pay my rent, on the 25th day of every month, when my pension goes in, not before not after not 19 days after previous months payment, it goes out of my account exactly on the 25th of each month.

When I received the letter on the 29th Sept, it clearly stated that they tried to make payment on the 19th of that month, this was not what I had set up.

I went on line and looked at my bank statement and there was a returned S/O for the amount I pay on the 19th of that month.

The S/O date had been changed.

When I changed the S/O back to the correct date of 25th every month, I rechecked it and it had been altered again to the 26th of every month and the entry on my statement for the 19th of the month had been removed entirely, and was just showing the correct date of payment, which is the 25th.

They are now investigating why this has happened, because if their first accusation that there was insufficient funds in my account on the 19th to pay, then there is no record of them having done so, and their £10 penalty fee is again vexatious.

I would be asking why they (whomever) attempted to take/make a payment on the 19th, BB. When clearly you want your payment to go out on the 25th or the next business day.

If the previous payment wasn't returned for whatever reason, but went out on the day you designated, then someone is obviously messing around with your payment schedule.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If the previous payment wasn't returned for whatever reason, but went out on the day you designated, then someone is obviously messing around with your payment schedule.

Exactly that CB, all of the preceding months, the payment went out on the 25th without fail, exactly how it was set up to be.

But on two separate occasions this week, I have had to go back into my on line banking and adjust the date to the correct one.

That along with information appearing then disappearing and appearing back again, is mildly suspicious.

I genuinely thought I needed to make an appointment with a trick cyclist, but with having to alter my S/O details not once but twice, in just as many days, I'm thinking they've a rogue employee playing fast and loose with customers accounts, so I'm about to check my statements with a very fine tooth comb!

Received a letter from the Bank, after they had investigated and they have removed the £10 penalty fee and confirm that the payments have always been set up for the 25th of each month, and they can find no reference to the failed payment on the 19th?

They have no idea why I received the letter claiming that the SO failed to be paid and incurring the £10 charge, and have funded me £25 for the 'distress & inconvenience caused'.

I have to say Halifax got it right.........this time!:-D