Jump to content

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2247 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Looking for some advice please....


We are in arrears with this years council tax, we set up a payment plan with the council but due to circumstances with work we didn't stick to the agreement, we knew it would go to court and be passed to an enforcement agency..... We have had dealings with the same issue over the last few years....


On the 12th sept we received a letter from jbw advising that the amount of £1140 was now payable to them, the same day we received an attachment of earnings order from the council for unpaid council tax arrears, we assumed this was for the amount advised by jbw and never completely read the order. My husband contacted the council to advise he had changed employer and gave new details, he questioned the letter from jbw to be told that the team who deal with it all will get it sorted..... After receiving another letter from jbw advising they were taking it to enforcement stage I rechecked the attachment order which i have realised is on,y for £53, possibly for a previous years council tax.


So now we are unsure of what to do next, my husband will ring the council tomorrow to try and organise a payment plan directly for weekly payments until 31st March then the account will be clear, I have a feeling they won't agree and will advise to speak to jbw, checked online with jbw they want £290 upfront then payments of £88, we don't have the initial payment so at a loss of what we can do....


Any advice on dealing with this would be great, we have had bad dealings with previous bailiffs being threatening so very reluctant to deal with these.... We will not let them into our home and will keep our property secure..... I have a car on hp with another 4yrs of payments left, can they levy on this or not? My name isn't on the bill just my husbands.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Although the account is only in your husbands name it is nonetheless a joint debt.


You have stated that the council sent a letter at around the same time as the one arrived from JBW regarding an Attachment of Earnings for a figure of just £53. Is this correct?


You appear to be wanting to set up a payment arrangement but JBW want an upfront payment of £290 followed by future payments of £88. Do they require £88 per week or per month?


The debt at present is £1140 and any payment arrangement is almost always dependent on the contract that the enforcement company have with the local authority. Many contracts provide that the external bailiff firm can accept payment arrangements over a period of 3 months and some even allow 6 months (or even more). In almost all cases though the local authority will require the debt to be repaid within the current council tax year. The reason being that the debt will therefore be clear before the new council tax bills are sent out at the end of March (2016).


Once you have spoken to the council can you post back with an update.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The EA should not be involved now as an attachment of earnings is in place. Call the LA and ask them why 2 sets of enforcement is running....


I had to read the question a couple of times before realising that the attachment of earnings appears to be in relation to arrears from a previous year. The current debt with JBW of £1140 is for the current tax year (2015/16).

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...