Garage Fitted Wrong Part on Vauxhall Corsa

Tincan01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3120 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Last year i put my car (Vauxhall Corsa 08 plate) in for its service to a local family run garage (Garage A) that we have used for years. It was found that i had a slight oil leak coming from the sump plug, i was advised that they would re-tap and fit a new sump plug.

Having moved away from the area i have today put my car into a Vauxhall Dealership (Garage B) for its service. I have been advised that i have a large leak from the sump plug caused by Garage A fitting the wrong sump plug, causing irreversable damage to the sump and a new sump, at a cost of £367 is required. Garage B is also saying they are unwilling to let me take the car away, so i am unable to take it back to Garage A for them to have a look at and fix it themselves.

What are my options? Can i go to Garage A and ask if they would be willing as a goodwill gesture refund some of the cost

I haven't yet spoken to Garage A about this as i do not know where i stand and dont want to go making claims without getting some advise beforehand.

Kind Regards,

Hi and welcome to CAG

I would contact the original garage in writing and see where that gets you. Stay off the phone unless you can record the conversation.

I am a little concerned as to why the original garage would re tap the thread. Could they not obtain the correct sump plug? Most minor leaks from the sump is usually down to the washer that has hardened over time and that can be remedied by heating and cooling the washer.

Perhaps on a previous service, the sump plug was cross threaded resulting in the need to re tap.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks for the reply,

What should I say in the letter? Should I include things like a copy of the original invoice for the work done as im pretty sure it mentions Re-Tap and fit new plug. What about asking the dealship for a letter/report stating that the wrong plug has been fitted? And including it in the letter?

I have no idea why they felt the need to re-tap, i was never given a reason.

Kind Regards,

Why wouldn't garage B let you take the car away?

Is there really a need for a new sump???

We're talking Vauxhall dealer here.

Just show up unexpectedly and demand your car back.

Make sure they don't start messing about with it when you do this.

I would just walk to the car and not let it out of my sight until I got the keys.

You would know if you had a massive leak, believe me

He can't take it away if the latest garage have drained the oil out. I imagine the Vauxhall dealership want to return the sump and plug back to standard Vauxhall design and that is the real problem; they don't want to risk garage A's repair letting go (or else they just want some £££s by making a job out of it). probably if you took it to another local garage, they might be fine with the sump plug repair. Most places just suck the oil out anyway nowdays meaning you could use some sealer round the weepy bolt and never touch it again. There are certainly options that work out a lot cheaper than £367.

They certainly want some pounds as you put it. A steel sump is just a couple of quick to stamp out so someone is making a good 300 out of this. Even if it was an alloy one the cost would be no where near what they are charging.

Go online and find a Vauxhall dealer out of your area, in another town and give their stores a ring and ask if they have a sump and gasket for your car and how much is it.

You could then do the same with a scrappy and do the job yourself or tell them you will supply the parts.

With all due respect Conniff I expect a good part of the charge is for labour as getting a sump off can mean dropping the exhaust and even sub-frame these days.

The main thing is that garage A probably did a good job of fixing the sump plug (after all the OP wasn't having to continually top up with oil as far as we know), it's just not to Vauxhall's liking which is the real issue. Sump plugs can be fixed quickly and cheaply in situ with one or more of the following:

1) Longer threaded bolt

2) Oversize sump plug

3) Re-tap thread

4) Re-tap and helicoil thread

5) If all else fails, just glue the sump plug in and use an oil extractor (uses dipstick tube) to change the oil

You don't need a new sump and associated costs BUT because Vauxhall mechanics are just fitters and not engineers, that's all they can offer; maybe all their company policy allows them to offer (i.e. genuine Vauxhall original parts unmodified).

As mentioned, if you had a massive leak, you would have noticed oil everywhere you have parked. Has the car been lowered? Does it scrape on speed humps?

I really don't think a new sump would be needed. The suggestions by Ed above would be easy enough.

That said, a new sump is around £30 - £50 on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-New-Oil-Pan-Sump-Astra-Agila-Corsa-Meriva-Tigra-1-3-Diesel-93177276-/252114921228?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3ACorsa%7CCars+Year%3A2008&hash=item3ab338670c, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vauxhall-Corsa-D-Van-4-2007-12-2010-Oil-Sump-Pan-1-3-1-2-90Bhp-Diesel-16V-Fwd-/131584109077?fits=Car+Make%3AVauxhall%7CModel%3ACorsa%7CCars+Year%3A2008&hash=item1ea3062a15

There is another solution I forgot which is to fit a Fumoto valve; cost £20 and you can still drain the oil:

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/

As these only have to be screwed in once you can use silicon sealer, JB Weld or whatever you like around the threads to be doubly sure they won't leak. Does depend whther the original sump hole has been enlarged by garage A though and any sort of insert or oversize plug fitted.

There is another solution I forgot which is to fit a Fumoto valve; cost £20 and you can still drain the oil:

http://www.quickvalve.co.uk/

As these only have to be screwed in once you can use silicon sealer, JB Weld or whatever you like around the threads to be doubly sure they won't leak. Does depend whther the original sump hole has been enlarged by garage A though and any sort of insert or oversize plug fitted.

It's a great idea.

I wonder if it would scrape on the floor and break the sump on the stupidly high humps of London

It's a great idea.

I wonder if it would scrape on the floor and break the sump on the stupidly high humps of London

They are not long and if your sump plug is horizontal (on the side of the pan) wouldn't be a problem but I agree if at a 45 degree angle and with nothing else lower on the car like a crossmember, I would be wary.

They are not long and if your sump plug is horizontal (on the side of the pan) wouldn't be a problem but I agree if at a 45 degree angle and with nothing else lower on the car like a crossmember, I would be wary.

I'm still sceptical about this plug.

Someone could "accidentally" open it...