• Tweets

• Hi, I am a local authority tenant and was in a 3 bed house. At the end of last year, my last child moved out and so did my spouse as we are now going through a divorce which meant that I was in the house alone and decided that I needed to downsize not only for myself but to offer the property to a family that needed it. I registered on the local authority housing bidding site as i was asked to do and I was accepted and given a priority banding as I was downsizing and they were desperate for my house. I have been extremely lucky and after about 6 weeks was accepted for a new build from a housing association via the housing gateway. I viewed the property 2 weeks ago and had to sign the tenancy last week when they were doing bulk signups for the houses and that is the day I moved. In between viewing and sign up, I contacted my current local authority landlord and asked how I give notice as I had been accepted for a property I had bid on and was moving.  The lady told me how to do it online and then said that I needed to give a full weeks notice which wasnt a problem as I had enough time.  (I was also told a weeks notice was what i would need to give by another staff member about a month ago when I phoned up for another housing related question.  I dont have any of this in writing.) I have now moved, handed back the keys and I am now being told that I need to give 4 weeks notice which I cannot afford. I hav e spoken to the council again explaining that I was told a week and that to be honest, if I knew they were going to charge me 4 weeks I would not have been able to move and would have stayed in the other house.  I thought I was doing the right thing. They said that calls are recorded and they asked me when I called in and was told a week and they would listen to the telephone conversation and if it was correct what I was told, they would see what they could do to reduce the notice period. They have now emailed me back and said that they have listened to the conversation and the lady said 4 weeks notice and I am liable for 4 weeks rent.  Now I may well of misheard her when I thought she said a full weeks notice she may have said 4 weeks notice but I am sure she said a full weeks notice and i was told a week by another member of staff a few weeks ago. I have emailed her back and said that I may of misheard but I would like to listen to the phone recording myself.  As yet they havent responded. I think its unreasonable for them to make me give 4 weeks when I had to sign the new tenancy with little notice or loose the property.  And it was all done through their gateway, and they will have a tenant in there pretty much straight away getting rent from them. I am on a very low income, I am on my own, I have serious medical issues and I am really getting myself stressed out over this. Any advice would be so appreciated.  Can I insist they let me listed to the recording? RH  
    • Susan Crichton is at the Inquiry today. She seems to have trouble remembering a lot of things but seems to find it easier if it's something that shows her in a good light.
    • Send them a letter of claim straightaway. No point hanging around. Given 14 days in the letter of claim and if they haven't paid you by then, issue the claim on day 15. The amount of time is more than adequate for them to get going. Post your draft letter of claim here. A look at. Then log onto the MoneyClaim website and start preparing your claim and post your particulars of claim here for us to have a look at. Don't bluff. No point in it.
    • That's what we thought, but the store manager is inferring that, as the jeweller we used was not a member of the NJA, no one  would give what he said, any credence. The Jeweller we used is in fact, a long established, well respected company, with 2 store and rather than just being a retailer, they craft the most exquisite jewellery inhouse!  I wish my Fiancé would have bought from them rather than H Samuel! Do you think we do need to get another report from and NJA accredited Jeweller ?
    • Really pleased that you won. UKPC know that you have supremacy of contract but still they persist because so many motorists blindly pay them.   Muppets.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Blackhorse sold secured loan to Skye Loans and Skye forcing me to sell my house

Chelliebelliew
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3110 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello I am new here and desperate for some advice.

It's complicated but will try and keep it brief but below is a summary.

In August 2006 myself and my now ex husband needed to refinance an existing loan with GE Money

a broker referred us to Blackhorse and we were offered a secured loan of £40k.

We were categorically told that we could only take the loan if we had the PPI as well even though we said the repayments were way to high to afford.

We were convinced by the Blackhorse rep that this was our only option like idiots we signed.

The loan agreement states Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Total amount of loan with PPI was £52,075.05

(we did query this as we were told absolute max allowed to borrow was £39,000 the balance is cost of PPI). 10 year repayment period. Interest rate of 11.9%.

A year on and we realised that the PPI should not of been sold to us as we had our own insurance through our employers (we had told the Blackhorse rep this before signing)!

After a bit of a fight £10,373.35 was credited (so it shows on my statement).

Another year down the line and a divorce.

I got into payment difficulties and missed a few payments

(I always made Blackhorse aware of when and why).

PPI came to light again as when Blackhorse credited the original amount they had failed to refund the payments we had made and the interest.

In 2009 Blackhorse finally credit the account again with a refund of £3,561.31 only after I had refused to pay anything until they did!

I carried on paying reduced payments to Blackhorse as I was struggling on my own with the loan and main mortgage but had accrued arrears made up of missed payments and charges of £23,435.47

Blackhorse went for a SPO in November 2012.

Blackhorse wrote to me the same month to say they were charging me 11.292%.

I have carried on paying the court agreed sum

however on occasions I have not been able to pay the whole amount on the due dates and payments have either been split, late or not the full amount.

I always called Blackhorse and made them aware if paying extra when I could and for once they were helpful!

In October 2014 I received my annual statement and was shocked to see that even after paying over £7K the balance of my loan had only gone down by £145!

I queried this and put in a complaint to the FOS.

Within in 4 days Blackhorse rang me and said

"good news - no more interest,

when I queried why all of a sudden they said "good will gesture"!

Roll on to May 2015 when I receive letters from Blackhorse and Skye to say loan was sold on.

I rang Blackhorse and asked why they said no longer "allowed" to operate those loans"

however everything with my loan would remain the same.

I then called Skye when my first payment was due 1st July 2015).

Made the first payment via debit card

however the rep entered the wrong post code so had to do again.

Again was reassured smooth running of account by Skye.

Checked bank account later that day to find I missing two lots of large payments!

Rang Skye oops sorry a mistake we don't have the money it's in limbo,

called my bank who confirmed the wrong payment was in limbo and would have to wait until it wasn't collected to recredit my account.

My bank then blocked my cards as believed it was fraudulent due to high amount twice!

This took almost two weeks which meant I incurred bounced direct debits bank charges and £253 liability order for non payment of council tax!

Skye just said oh we didn't have the money physically so tough,

On making my next payment the lady I was speaking to said about setting up the payment plan by direct debit.

I explained I was unable to do that as sometimes I have to make split payments as money was very tight.

She said send in your pay slips, statements and expenditure and income and we can see if we can get you a more comfortable payment.

She asked was was comfortable

now I said the amount but what about SPO.

She said well it's a fresh start with us and took the reduced payment.

She confirmed to make the reduced payment until they had reviewed my finances.

I made the reduced payment (split) this month on 29th.

Thence stepdad I received a call from a rep who told me she had reviewed my finances and the history of the account from Blackhorse and as there are still £9,315 owing on the arrears and as my finances clearly show I ve no extra finances to clear these - they suggest I sell my house to clear the whole balance on my loan otherwise they will possess.

I was shocked!

She said they are no ,onger able to help me and I have until Monday to respond.

Sorry this is so long but thought the whole history would be helpful.

Sorry I forgot to mention I have paid £45,102.41 to date and the balance on this loan is ......... £42,676.88,

the lady who called from Skye in Friday also said the the original term of the loan was up last month and that I had breached the SPO as when it sent to court a new agreement was put in place (news to me as I never signed any new agreement) that the loan would be extended by 4 years to allow for all arrears and payments to clear

however I would need to be paying over £900 a month to do this - I currently pay £700 which is £80 more than agreed by court.

oh dear

seems like you've been had blind here.

you should ONLY be paying what the COURT ordered PCM they nor you can vary that.

and did the order state post judgemental interest??? I very much doubt it.

if you total up what you've paid since the court order and that meets the 'schedule'

of payments PCM to date, they cant do anything

the SPO is not in skyes name anyway.

mot the first time we've heard of them pulling these stunts

you need to pay by bank transfer [your interweb banking portal]

and stop phoning them.

get an sar running to them

and to Blackhorse

and might not hurt to send ge one either as I bet the refinanced loans had PPI too!

you speak of 'penalty' like or arrears charges

those should all be reclaimed from ge/skye and you should not have had any of those added passed the judgement. not allowed!

unless its in the judgement.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for your helpful reply.

The court order stated:-

The court orders that

1. The defendants give the claimant possession of xx xxxxxxxx xxxxx on or before 05 December 2012.

2. The defendant pay the claimant £50,191.13 being the amount outstanding under the mortgage.

3. This order is not to be enforced so long as the defendants pay the claimant the unpaid instalments under the mortgage of £23,435.47

by the payments set out below in addition to the current instalments under the mortgage.

Payment required

£xxxxx per month, the first instalment being paid on or before 28 November 2012.

And it is adjudged that

The claimant recover against the defendant the sum of £50,191.13 for debt and interest to date of judgement,

not to be enforced so long as possession order remains suspended.

My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) that the last paragraph means interest should of stopped from the court date but it didn't until 31 August 2013.

Payments to date should be £21,700

I have paid £15,140.

£5,191.24 being just interest

£275.76 being court costs.

The arrears were £23,435.47 and are now around £9,315.

The order for possession has the claimant Black Horse Limited.

I checked my credit reference file and it states Blackhorse as satisfied but Skye doesn't appear in my report?

How can I check Skye do not have any to my house?

Something has always been fishy about Blackhorse and I will be sending SARS to both Blackhorse and Skye tomorrow.

Blackhorse didn't make any charges past judgement but I have over £3K of charges prior to that

so can I Blair for those along with going in for a further PPI claim.

The numbers just do not add up with them!

The lady from Skye told me that I had breached the SPO as she had checked my payment history with Blackhorse

and I would be breaching the new agreement (passed in November 2012) because my payments are not up to date via the schedule

which would take me over the additional 4 years the court gave me (again wasn't aware of an additional 4 years).

She told me the original loan term finished end of September 2015.

That's incorrect it should be end of September 2016.

She also said there is nothing else they can do for me and that they had already contacted my main mortgage lender

and searched online for property prices in my road!!

She told me my house is worth £325K judging by a re net sale in my road

- it isn't it's worth £215K as I had it valued earlier this year.

She said my only option is to sell and they request I get the values in,

I asked her directly "are you saying you are coming to take my house" and she would not answer me directly.

I asked her for everything in writing and she said it wasn't necessary she would personally call me weekly to find out what my decision was.

I pleaded for another 6 months to get the account on track and asked if by some miracle I could clear the arrears and keep on track with payments

could the SPO be lifted and her response was "is that a possibility?" And no we would keep the SPO and our decision to force sale.

I was sobbing y this point and put the phone down.

I know I have no choice to sell now but I am besides myself with worry that they will repossess before I am able to do so.

They also want me to pay £900 a month from now!

What can I do please?

Have others been in the same situation with Skye?

I said to the woman that they aren't even giving me a chance

- the loans only been with them less than 3 months and they ve already mislead me

and put me in financial difficulties with their cock ups.

Your advice is appreciated as I can feel the fight in me embebbing away

and trust me this loan has left me living in hell since the day my signature touched that paper!

After you sort the immediate concern

I would be doing a claim for that PPI :)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

everything in writing, no more phone calls

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I would await further advice, but you are under no legal obligation to communicate by phone

I've alerted the thread

lets see who pops in

something def smells here.

yes stay off that phone.

what the woman at skye loans has said doesn't run true to me.

wont put it in writing...urm...

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you DX - something definately does smell everything considering because I can't help thinking that now they ve seen what equity I have in my house they are just wanting a chunk of money. How can a £40K loan cost over £89 K to repay. These people take hard working decent people's lives and smash them to pieces. Your advice is gratefully appreciated.

As advised above the Full subject Access request is a must in order to work out how the PPI has impacted on the balance

I checked my credit reference file and it states Blackhorse as satisfied but Skye doesn't appear in my report?

How can I check Skye do not have any to my house?

You can check with Land Registry to see if Skye have any charges/interest in your property.

https://www.gov.uk/protect-land-property-from-fraud

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Do not phone, and if they phone you just tell them that you want all future communication in writing and hang up.

How much is your contractual payment and how much has been ordered by the court?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Chelliebelliew

So sorry to hear what you are going through.

Like previously advised I would get SAR off asap.

Refuse to speak to them and only deal in writing only.

Maybe an account in dispute letter / harassment / contact CAB ? Perhaps someone with more experience will advise.

I am currently dealing with Skye regarding a previous Blackhorse loan over some issues and I will keep you posted.

Did you receive annual statements from Blackhorse ?

Thank you all for your advice.

I have sent off SARS to both Blackhorse and Skye loans yesterday.

Louisa from Skye did call me yesterday and I did tell her I want all future communications in writing as I find there manner bullying. I did say I have been forced by them to sell my home and I want that in writing from them! Louisa's answer "well it's for the best - you lol get a better quality of life". I put the phone down before I lost it completely.

FOS have said they dealt with the original PPI claim against Blackhorse so will not explore it again (claimed 2009).

Does any one know from the ruling I posted above if it means interest should of stopped after the court hearing for suspended possession order? If so I can use this as a basis with my argument with Blackhorse. It will be interesting to re dive their file to see why they did stop the interest over a year later.

This is a mess and I am trying to unravel it - just don't know where to start really.

My house goes on the market today - I just want rid of this noose around my neck.

I will keep you posted.

Regards and thanks to you all.

The choice is yours as they can't force you to sell without a court order but I thought you might like to read the last post in this thread.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?367724-Suspended-possession-again-with-Acenden....&p=4746179#post4746179

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thank you Caro very interesting as my main mortgage is with Acenden

A few questions.

If I sell my house do I have to disclose to Skye how much I sell it for before I complete? I m worried they will still enforce SPO even though they said they wouldn't before I sell.

If I m paying them off a year early shouldn't my redemption figure be lower?

It's a bit ambiguous about the interest. That's how much it was at that time but it's not clear if they can add more.

I don't see any reason for you to give them any info about the sale. Stick to keeping everything in writing so they can't bully you into doing or saying anything you don't want to.

Can I just check - is your house on the market because you want to sell or because Skye said so?

Thank you. I don't mean to appear ambiguous I am just trying to find out if they have handled my account correctly.

Skye have forced the sale but on reflection my health is suffering and I believe I need to get out first and fight them afterwards.

Thank you. I don't mean to appear ambiguous I am just trying to find out if they have handled my account correctly.

Skye have forced the sale but on reflection my health is suffering and I believe I need to get out first and fight them afterwards.

I meant that the wording on the court order was ambiguous about whether or not interest could be added.

Regarding the forced sale, they can't do this without a court order. I'm sure this is very hard for you, but in the circumstances I think this is a wise and brave decision. It'll be easier to fight when you're out of their clutches. You must do what is right for you.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have any equity in your house?