Bus penality fare even though i touched in

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3089 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

I got issued a penalty fare on a bus even though I touched in with my oyster card, because the oyster card is very old and does not always work so the ticket inspectors couldn't read it on their things. However I definitely remember it responded when I touched in on the bus (the green light and the beep, etc), it just didnt work when the inspecters tried to read it.

I appealed on the website and they asked me to send them the card number and a 'details/usage statement'. Problem is its such an old battered card that its impossible to read the card number. I don't know how to get a usage statement, or if thats even possible without the card number? The card works very occasionally albeit less and less frequently, so IF I did manage to get it to respond on a machine would there be a way of finding the number?

Also surely TFL will have a record on the data from the bus that day? The CCTV would show me touching in, if it still exists (the incident was at the end of August).

I'm not sure what to do so please give some advice

Thanks

With Oyster, i have an online log in, where i can view my usage. Surely TFL can view your usage ?

If you have a card not working properly, which you admit, it is your responsibility to get a replacement.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

What type of phone do you have? Does it have NFC? Might beable to help here if you let me know.

My phone is not even a smartphone it was one pound and can only text and call lol. Thanks though. Might be able to borrow someones phone, if the process isnt too long and complicated ?

With Oyster, i have an online log in, where i can view my usage. Surely TFL can view your usage ?

the difficulty is that i dont have the card number so how could I look it up (and its not registerd).

If you have a card not working properly, which you admit, it is your responsibility to get a replacement.

Does that mean I should pay the penalty fare, despite touching in ? is that what a judge would say ? (genuine questions)

I suspect

"You knew your card was not working properly and in need of replacement therefore you are liable for the fixed penalty/prosecution"

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi

My problem was similar, I got on the bus on the 8th October at Clapton Pond and touched my oyster card knowing full well that I had topped it up with £30.00 few days ago. I couldn't remember whether I saw the green light or sound of bleep because at the same time I was asking the driver if the bus was going to Victoria.The front of the bus still said Clapton pond when I got on it. The driver then started changing the sign.The ticket inspector got on the bus a few stops later and he was on the bus for sometime as he was issuing a ticket to another passenger. He came round and told me my card was unvalidated. I couldn't believe it. I said to him that it couldn't be true. He then went to check to see if the machine was working and said that there was no problem and issued me with a penalty. I think that this is unjust. How are we supposed to know whether the card was validated or the money was taken out or not. This was a genuine mistake and people like me should be given the opportunity to pay for the fare. I think this company called the IRCAS are out to make money out of innocent people. I refused to pay the on spot penalty fine as I wanted to appeal against it. I felt that the cameras would show that I have touched the machine. In the end I just paid the £40 or would have ended up paying £80.00. I feel very annoyed and cheated by TFL. I am an honest passenger and feel I have been unjustly penalised.

Hi!

Member Louwaugh,

I've never had the priviledge of using Oyster and what-not yet as I'm not from the Big Smoke and much prefer a Travelcard!

Ask for a copy of the TfL Penalty Fares Appeal Procedure from a Tube Station or TfL Travelcentre and follow the instructions for this to the letter!

Take your Oyster to a Tube Station or TfL Travelcentre & see if you can get the journey record from that that date or a bit earlier - if this shows you boarding a bus as valid at about the time and date you were "collared" you're in the clear & the inspector's terminal is at fault, so copy the journey-log and keep a copy. then when TfL's appeal-paperwork arrives forward your evidence with their filled in appeal papers!

If you find your bus-journey can't be traced on the Oyster you used, then it's best to send a contrite apology stating you were honestly sure your Oyster had been read/validated correctly!

I DON'T like this system personally as there's too many chances of technical faults in it, but as cash-fares on TfL buses have been abolished now there isn't any other means of payment unless you hold a Travelcard, Concessionary Pass OR "Contactless" type Debit Card!

IF you have a contactless debit card it's far better to use this unless you really are stony-broke as a debit-card is much less likely to be rejected - no more will be debited than the max. daily cap or one single journey if that is lower!

(Cash-point "mini-statements" should show a TfL Debit of the appropriate fares which you can keep as evidence you've paid and you can get more copies free if necessary from any cash-point)

PS!

It might be worth going to your branch of whichever bank issued your debit-card and if yours IS contactless, asking if there's a 'fone app that can read your (registered!) card out, or if yours ISN'T contactless, asking the bank very nicely for a contactless one when they next renew it!

PPS!

Look for "London Travel Oyster" on Google Play or Apple's Store - there IS a smartfone app (free!) that'll show you your Oyster Balance and Journey Log if you wave the errant Oyster Card over it!

If you made other journeys that day, there may be a chance that you hit your maximum fare for the day and wouldn't need to pay, although they may still say the card wasn't validated.

Thanks Joey for your reply, I only traveled to Angel and back to Clapton and was told my single trip was only £1.50. I still had £40.00 credit on my card. I have paid the penalty charge of £40.00 as I did not want to loose and have to pay twice the amount.

Edited by louwaugh
spelling mistake