function room hire contract

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I'm hoping this is in the right place, please delete or move if its not.

I'm trying to sort a function on behalf of my mum, for a surprise party for someones 40th.

I called a place and the call went through to head office, they said capacity was 130, and hire is free as its on a Friday as long as they take £500 at bar.

Anyway, go down to view etc. Made to wait forever as there was only 1 member of staff there. The staff member who deals with functions had gone home early apparently.

Any way staff asked how many people for and stated I had no idea (was trying to get venue sorted before I worked out exact numbers). He said 'oh just write any number for now it holds 110. Anyway as I had just finished signing I noticed it said minimum bar take was £700. I pointed out that the man on the phone had told me it was £500. The guy looked up and said no I've been told £700, I stated clearly right well that's something I need to sort with head office then first? He agreed.

Ok so I go home call head office, they tell me no, the branch have got it wrong. Its definitely £500. Ok so I tell my mother about it etc. I described room layout, tables, chairs etc and capacity. She's really not happy with it so I call head office again. Explained the situation and the guy on the phone said 'don't worry, if you/mum are really not happy about it, just pop down, explain the situation. Tell them its less than 48 hours since booking and I'm sure they will give you the deposit back as we want you to be happy'

Ok so my 2 yr old was poorly, I have hypermobility syndrome and my hip was subluxing (partial dislocation). I couldn't get down there. But I emailed explaining whole situation and that the guy at head office had reassured me I'd get the deposit back.

I got an email back pointing out parts of the contract as to why I can't have it back and quotes about the £700 minimum bar spend etc.

If someone at head office has told me 'not to worry' and reassured me I can get my deposit back where do I go from here?

I have emailed the branch numerous times, and on a phone call I made to them and questioned them about it he said he was going to call the guy at head office and speak to him then call me back. I made sure I said can you make sure you call me back. He said yes.

Ok so he never called back and they won't give me an answer as to why guy at head office said I could get deposit back.

Help!

Edited by citizenB
spacing for easier reading

Call the head office again and RECORD THE CALL!

Tell them that you have been unable to cancel with the branch and they won't give you the deposit back.

Once (and if) they say that you are entitled to cancel, you will have a recording to back this up.

And don't forget to take the name of the person you speak to, date and time of the call.

Call the head office again and RECORD THE CALL!

Tell them that you have been unable to cancel with the branch and they won't give you the deposit back.

Once (and if) they say that you are entitled to cancel, you will have a recording to back this up.

And don't forget to take the name of the person you speak to, date and time of the call.

Thank you king, I've repeatedly told them the guy said not to worry and reassured me I could get it back. Also called head office and said they are refusing to give me back my deposit and he's said its been taken out of his hands, by the branch??!!!

It's then worth trying to email or write to their CEO.

You might be lucky and get a positive outcome before taking it further

Thank you king, failing that I'm going to look into whether the contract is void if they've over charged me on the contract but quoted me a different price via email.

Who are the company? Why did you pay a deposit if the hire was free? Why didn't your Mum want the place? What do the T&C's say about cancelling? How much deposit did you pay?

Hi havinastella,you pay £100 deposit then if you make the minimum bar spend you get your deposit back.

My mum couldn't make it down as she has arthritis and that evening it was particularly bad.

After I returned and told her the conflicting prices and the conflicting capacity, and the fact the person who deals with the functions had 'gone home early' she really didn't have any faith they would be able to supply an enjoyable evening etc

It all depends from what the contract says and the written evidence you have to prove that the service was missold.

If the contract says 100 people and £700 minimum spend but they emailed you different information, then they have missold you the service and you would be entitled to your money back.

To achieve this you would need to send them an official request of refund (which I remember you already did), then lba and failing that a money claim through the county court.

All of this given that you have hard evidence to prove your case.

Verbal communication unfortunately doesn't mean anything.

It all depends from what the contract says and the written evidence you have to prove that the service was missold.

If the contract says 100 people and £700 minimum spend but they emailed you different information, then they have missold you the service and you would be entitled to your money back.

To achieve this you would need to send them an official request of refund (which I remember you already did), then lba and failing that a money claim through the county court.

All of this given that you have hard evidence to prove your case.

Verbal communication unfortunately doesn't mean anything.

Thank you very much King, they've tried there best to make out they haven't screwed up by saying 'we will honour the special offer head office have given you verbally'

Until I pointed out how generous it was for them to do so considering its not an offer but the actual price that they have got wrong! I've also questioned how many other people they've over charged by £200. And maybe if the member of staff that deals with functions hadn't of gone home early even though head office told me they were going to inform them I was going to come down then all these conflicting stories wouldn't of happened!!