• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Can Baillif company add all the fees before they visit newlyns & 2012 CTAX LO

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2803 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I & E form sent off today with letter from Family solutions

and a copy of the repayment with council,

I have £5.50 spare a week.

So I did not offer anything until the end of prepayment plan

then £25 per week after this has ended.

Some how think EA will be coming soon and more charges.

It will arrive Monday so will know soon enough.

leakie

Some may well , I think you may be lucky, you seem to have provided all relavant paperwork etc. An initial payment would have helped, but you have sent a record of payments made to the council so that may convince them that you intend to pay, we can only wait, good luck anyway.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, if they come, I can see no harm in letting them in. You've stated you have nothing of value which they could take under control; you have no disposable income and have all of that to hand as you've just sent copies off. What can they do?

They cannot get blood out of a stone.

The only thing I am worried about

is the car I use,lthey want it back once I eventually get on my feet

My parents bought it in January so that I could work,

But I insure and tax

Reciept is in my mothers name from a dealer

I did not know that they were going to do it, got home one day and the car on my drive.

With out it no work then no money but hey ho

if they took the car then I'm finished.

it is a 14 yr old Peugeot 307 worth about £500-700 52 plate

Yes, the car may be vulnerable, if only as a tool to try to force payment. Whose name is on the V5©? If your mother has the receipt and her name is on the V5©, you are able to prove the car does not own to you, so they are not allowed to take it.

That said, I'd be inclined to keep it out of the way in case. It's hard to see how the council think they will collect money using bailiffs for a third time when the previous two attempts have failed.

I don't think you mentioned at the time that you'd got a job, as in post 5 you state you were on Income Support.

You seem to have a good grasp of the situation, the pros and cons of various approaches, so good luck.

Yes, the car may be vulnerable, if only as a tool to try to force payment. Whose name is on the V5©? If your mother has the receipt and her name is on the V5©, you are able to prove the car does not own to you, so they are not allowed to take it.

That said, I'd be inclined to keep it out of the way in case. It's hard to see how the council think they will collect money using bailiffs for a third time when the previous two attempts have failed.

I don't think you mentioned at the time that you'd got a job, as in post 5 you state you were on Income Support.

You seem to have a good grasp of the situation, the pros and cons of various approaches, so good luck.

Sorry Leakie - does not belong to you, or is not owned by you! The 10 minute edit scuppered my English.

Parents got the car for me to use, as I had just come off income support

I am only able to work limited hours due to the children at school

I have the V5 in my name and insured and tax

The receipt is in my mothers name, Once I am able to get back on my feet as such

then I will return the car to them.

Parents got the car for me to use, as I had just come off income support

I am only able to work limited hours due to the children at school

I have the V5 in my name and insured and tax

The receipt is in my mothers name, Once I am able to get back on my feet as such then I will return the car to them.

Leakie, it is hoped that Rossendales accept the payment proposal and if so, the car will not be an issue. Have you submitted the documentation (Income & Expenditure etc) to them yet?

I & E posted to address given PO box in Rossendale

The adviser seemed quite helpful

They want a lot of other info Date of birth Car reg Make and model which I did not give.

but everything else completed.

I will say there I & E forms are very vague, for the info on financial details,

It suits them to have vague I&E forms; there aim is to maximise your 'on paper' disposable income. I'd have been inclined to send a full Common Financial Statement, or one of the many similar ones out there now. Was it this one which showed your disposable income as £5.50 per week? If so, in reality it may be less with other financial information included.

As said above, still be careful with that car until you know what is happening.

Just a little update

Got the I & E form in, on time with proof of signature and time of delivery

Rossendales denies receiving it,

( I have expected this)

So looks like they will enforce,

Waste of time that was and over an hour on the phone.

Leakie

Just a little update

Got the I & E form in, on time with proof of signature and time of delivery

Rossendales denies receiving it,

( I have expected this)

So looks like they will enforce,

Waste of time that was and over an hour on the phone.

Leakie

Hi Sorry to hear that.

Did they eventually find you I and E ? What did they say during your conversation regarding this debt ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Ok

Decided to call back again ,

The initial call they would not accept, that the Bar code number was the tracking number,

On the receipt from the post office, it did not state a tracking number, just this bar-code number.

This time I spoke to some one that knew what they were doing,

Confirmed that they have received it and must be waiting for processing,

Should have been done by yesterday, but not showing on the system.

I have been given another 7 days on hold.

I have been fortunate enough to be offered some work in France, so will be away for a week and can earn some good money.

So will not know the result until I get back.

I personally think it will be sent straight to the EA, and not the Welfare department like I have requested.

Thanks for your input

Leakie

If you're likely to be out of the country when they need to contact you, make sure you tell them (backed up in writing). If they accept your proposal and ask you for an immediate first payment, the last thing you need is not to know about it because you're in France.

Just goes to show that these, EA companies just do not give a dam

I have engaged with them,

If they genuinely want to sort out repayment plan they could, I can not give what I do not have,

As I am going to be working abroad, I will not be back for there decision,

so I asked it to be emailed to me' Sorry sir it can not be done.At least I would be able to get back in contact.

I have asked for it to be sent to the wellfare dept, but it does not look like it will happen.

So if rejected £235 will be added and there uplift.

I will have an EA at my door before the letter arrives anyway

It takes 5 days from processing to delivery for any letter to arrive.

Looks like I will have to sit this one out,

Leakie

I know this is possibly too obvious a thing to ask, but better asked than assumed - Have you asked them what you're supposed to do if you're not in the country, but are trying your best to arrange repayment of the debt? Perhaps sending evidence you are going to be abroad for a while will prove to them you're telling the truth, as they may assume you're just saying it to avoid payment. I imagine many such claims would be untrue to try to avoid payment.

Hi CD

Offered but they were not interested,

I have sent this anyway, email and letter.

I think it all depends who you speak too

The first guy was very helpful,

but was not in today,

we will have to see what happens when I return,

I may be able to offer some thing once I am paid for this job,

but it will not be good enough for them.

One thing I will say about Rossers

They do not go straight to enforcement after 7 days

They sent a reminder even though it was sent before the 7 days are up,

I was told this is for anyone who does not make an agreement or contact in the first 7 days.

One thing I will say about Rossers

They do not go straight to enforcement after 7 days

They sent a reminder even though it was sent before the 7 days are up,

I was told this is for anyone who does not make an agreement or contact in the first 7 days.

This is usually the case Leakie.

Also, it all depends on the terms of the contract that they have with their local authority clients. Some are very good and stipulate that reminders must be sent or that a visit cannot be made for a set number of days (sometimes as many as 14 days).

I think that I did mention a while ago that the local authority are perfectly able to ask Rossendales to accept a certain amount from you. Have you spoken to them recently?

Thanks BA

I did speak to the council, before I was aware it had been passed on to them,

The LA informed me who had the account, before the letters arrived.

They will not make an arrangement until it is passed back to them.

The usual comments, they can not recall the account, it's out of there control.

I had nearly finished the agreement with them,

but the computer allocated all payments to this years current CT which was paid off in July.

that alone could have caused this agreement with the LA to have Failed, and passed on as well.

So they have extended the agreement period until November,

This has caused a problem as I would have been able to offer £25.per week to Rossers and carried on paying my current liability.

just a bit sooner than November.

If this is passed to the welfare team then they may make an agreement,

It is a matter of getting the fount line staff at Rossers to pass it on to them.

This is ridiculous.

You have a perfectly reasonable offer,

you've proved your desire to pay,

but the bailiffs appear to be refusing your offer purely so they can add further fees to the account.

This used to be common advice on here,

is used far less often nowadays,

but I'd be inclined now to write directly to the CEO of the council,

copied to the Head of Revenues,

stating exactly what has happened,

the fact it has been passed for enforcement,

you are going abroad and need an affordable repayment plan in place before you go.

You could even link to this thread as a diary of what has happened and how people have tried to help you.

Explain you are not willing to pay the £235 enforcement stage fees because you are trying your best to resolve this at compliance and simply cannot see your indebtedness increase due to their unwillingness to instruct Rossendales to accept your offer of repayment.

It will be interesting to see what others have to say about this.

Would be nice if they had a welfare department...oh wait.....it's their welfare they are concerned about :roll:

Really feel for you Leakie, so much pressure when life it's self provides enough.

I hope that this gets resolved for you soon.

Regards

Thank you all

The main problem is I can not offer anything at the moment,

once the payment plan to the LA is finished I can and not before.

At least this job in France is going to pay me about £650 after deductions

I have the potential to earn good money if the work is there and I can find child care.

Well I am off now see you all on Thursday

Leakie

I'm with CD in this case Formal Complaint. It is almost Khafkaesque the situation you are in Leakie, hope they see sense.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I'm with CD in this case Formal Complaint. It is almost Khafkaesque the situation you are in Leakie, hope they see sense.

Never heard that saying before (Khafkaesque) but it certainly fits this situation.

Thank you brassnecked, you have given me a new word to bandy around, now

Just need to manipulate a conversation where I can throw the word Khafkaesque

into it and sit back with a smug and superior look when people ask me what it means. :madgrin: