New 30 day rule.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3124 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

So consumers can now hand back faulty goods for a full refund within 30 days of purchase!!

How will the motor trade handle this?????

On another forum the following points were raised. Viz

How does a trader overcome "Buyers Remorse"? What about intermittent faults? Will this increase rouge traders who close one site one day and open up under another name the next day?

Even if a full refund is given, the buyer will lose road tax and insurance paid on purchase.

What do you think??

Well in regards to this

Even if a full refund is given, the buyer will lose road tax and insurance paid on purchase.

If buyers remorse then tough luck.

BUT if due to a fault then one would argue that they are costs of being sold a defective product and reclaimable from the seller

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

as I understand it, in order for this to happen with a second hand vehicle, the fault needs to be present at the time of purchase. No idea if what it says here is actually correct tho

http://www.lawgistics.co.uk/read-news/865

also from 'which' website

Deductions from refunds No deduction can be made from a refund in the first six months after purchase. The only exception to this is motor vehicles, where a reasonable reduction may be made for the use you’ve had of the vehicle.

Hopefully some guidelines will be brought in that are onerous enough to prevent buyers remorse but also tough enough that as a car buyer you don't lose 25% for having a car for 29 days!... we shall see!

I don't think Buyers Remorse comes into it. The vehicle must fail one of the three - As described - Fit for purpose - Satisfactory quality. If you return within 30 days you will be asked what is the reason you are rejecting, if there is no problem you have no right of rejection.

Yes indeed Conniff. However I can foresee arguments about fit for purpose and satisfactory quality developing! Eg if the aircon stops being cold after 29 days is that a reason to reject? I wouldsay that on acar under 2yo it definitely is, and over 7yo it definitely isn't (a 7yo car will be probably 25% of cost new) but what about a 5yo car?

Guidelines are required!!

A/C probably wasn't a good reason to pick. I would say definitely not a reason to reject, it affects the car in no way and can easily fixed.

The rules don't give the 30 days as the cut off, you still have the statutory rights to fall back on.

Hold on guys---The buyers remorse thing is being taken out of context (my fault). I meant to say a manufactured buyers remorse eg. car keeps cutting out on motorway, then starts ok after 10 mins.

The main purpose of the topic was to get opinions on how the motor trade would handle this new law, considering that many don't recognise SOGA.

Whatever the new regulations say, it's not going to be a case of just saying this is wrong with it and getting a refund. As we know, it don't work like that and never has. The seller will have the right to keep the vehicle for testing and as the first six months puts the onus on the seller, there can't be any denying him his rights also.

I can see the seller being even more cautious than before. The buy a car, go to the wedding and then return it as not fit etc isn't going to be that easy.