• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Packaged account - best course of action?

stevep
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3032 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

It's bothered me for some time that I pay for a packaged account with Lloyds.

I've had more than my fair share of financial problems and one of the few plus points on my credit score is that I've had my bank account for a long time.

I was investigating "free" accounts and came across a number of sites claiming that packaged accounts may have been mis-sold, hence my visit here.

I originally signed up to a Gold account in the late 90s because I had asked for an overdraft increase (£2,000) and was told this was the way to get it.

I hadn't realised the full "benefits" of the package (probably still don't) although I did use the breakdown service a few times around 2005/6.

In 2009, after a period of unemployment and temp employment I went back to University to retrain as a teacher.

As the account I had was more expensive than a "student account" and the overdraft was long gone,

I applied to Lloyds to change the account to a student account but was told that because I hadn't got the best financial history (returned payments etc during unemployment period) they couldn't change my account. I was, therefore, trapped into continue to paying the £12pm.

Do I pursue this for the original mis-selling, or just from the 2009 point where I was trapped into the paying the increased amount?

Is there a 6 year limit on this?

Of course they didn't want you to have a non fee charging account. Think of the penalties they could apply when you went over your agreed o/d and whilst to them £12.00 per month isn't mega .. when you add up how many people they have on those, it works out to a tidy sum for their coffers.

They should have at the very least been able to transfer you to a basic account. so their reference to you not having a good financial history is absolute rubbish.

Whether or not you would have recourse to claim mis sold I am not sure, however, I would definitely think that you would have a claim against them for not dealing with your complaint correctly.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Go get the lot back

There are links here

But I can't post them at present

I'll do it later

Dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Really from day 1?

Wouldn't the 6 year limit be in play?

Had a read through that post and Salthouse the process looks quite lengthy, it's definitely helpful. Thank you.

In 2009, after a period of unemployment and temp employment I went back to University to retrain as a teacher.

As the account I had was more expensive than a "student account" and the overdraft was long gone,

I applied to Lloyds to change the account to a student account but was told that because I hadn't got the best financial history (returned payments etc during unemployment period) they couldn't change my account. I was, therefore, trapped into continue to paying the £12pm.

Okay so you weren't eligible for a student account. Why didn't you ask to change to a different/free account which may have been more suitable for you?

Is there a 6 year limit on this?

Kind of. It's either six years after the event complained of OR (if later than this) three years from the date on which the complainant became aware (or ought reasonably to have become aware) that he had cause for complaint.

So basically 3 years from the date that you became/should've become aware you had been mis-sold your gold account.

Beyond those timescales, you can still complain but the bank would be within its rights not to consider your complaint.

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

no.......

What do you mean no?

as per usual like all your posts on CAG you side with the banks...urm.......

Did you even read my post? How exactly have I sided with the banks when all I did was answer stevep's specific question about the 6 year time bar?

there are numerous cases of fees dating back into the 1990's and further being refunded

I myself got fees out of the co-op and Lloyds back to 1990's

and they

there are numerous cases of fees dating back into the 1990's and further being refunded

So? Did I state anywhere in my post that this wasn't possible?

I was asking to change to the cheapest account I believed they had available at the time - they declined my request due to poor history.

Okay so you weren't eligible for a student account. Why didn't you ask to change to a different/free account which may have been more suitable for you?

Kind of. It's either six years after the event complained of OR (if later than this) three years from the date on which the complainant became aware (or ought reasonably to have become aware) that he had cause for complaint.

So basically 3 years from the date that you became/should've become aware you had been mis-sold your gold account.

Beyond those timescales, you can still complain but the bank would be within its rights not to consider your complaint.

Thanks. I'll kick the process off and see where it leads.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So far, so good.

I phoned Lloyds and enquired about my packaged account.

They didn't agree on all points, but to be fair, they were helpful and whilst they didn't refund all packaged account charges,

they did compromise in the absence of any proof either way and refund the difference between what I had paid

and what I would have paid for the lowest package for the 'benefits' I had used since I became aware of them in 2009

and originally asked for my account to be downgraded (request declined).

I then asked for that lower amount to be applied to my account at the time the payments were taken

as I had evidence that the inflated price had, by compound, taken me into and over my overdraft limit on occasion.

Lloyds have refused this, instead refunding just the charges where the account fee specifically took me over my limit

Was I making an unreasonable request?

Has anyone else successfully requested Lloyds to do this?

Let me know. Thanks.

so they had you then....

you should have read that other thread and done it by letter only.

dx

and they

so they had you then....

you should have read that other thread and done it by letter only.

dx

You mean the link to the thread you didn't get round to posting (see above) ?

I'm not having a go, most/all of your previous replies have been helpful.

Tbh I just couldn't find a specific post in the haystack of useful information on this site

and was discussing another matter with the bank when the topic came up.

I opened my account pre-1997.

I only have evidence going back to 2000 and the bank only to 2001.

We AGREED to the refund of the difference in the absence of any hard evidence either way regarding 'mis-selling

'and my subsequent use of a number of benefits of packaged accounts.

My query remains,

has anyone successfully requested Lloyds to recalculate their account based on lower (or no) account fees being applied to their account?

the one in post 4 my links were down sorry another mod posted it.

I'd query it via a letter,

did you do a spreadsheet?

how does the refund gauge against that?

dx

and they

the one in post 4 my links were down sorry another mod posted it.

I'd query it via a letter,

did you do a spreadsheet?

how does the refund gauge against that?

dx

Thanks

The refund of fees is obviously different to the spreadsheet due to them refunding the difference between gold and classic rather than full Gold as I have used some benefits (and therefore demonstrated awareness of the benefits).

The other refund is way out (25% of what I calculated), but they haven't put in the letter how they arrived at this figure. The only clue I had was in the telephone conversation where she said they went back and refunded OD usage and unauthorised borrowing where these events were directly attributable to the fees being taken.

I've had more of a detailed look through that link again and I'll send a letter asking them to look at it again - more for evidence of what I'd requested for the FOS than anything else. They've already invited me to take it to FOS if I'm not happy, but I've no evidence of what I'd asked them to do - their reply letters are quite carefully worded to just respond to the bits they wanted to respond to - surprise!

I would write back asking for a detailed calculation and explanation as to how they have arrived at their offer

In the meantime I would also be sending a full SAR

Get all the facts before you go to the fos

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.